• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Got a 40 mile solo in this morning and averaged 17.2mph. Getting better every ride and closer to my 50 mile solo goal.

Phylo- dumb question... You guys mention frame materials and how that impacts your ride comfort? Whats the difference in materials vs. comfort except for weight which I get?

Thanks for the insight. :ingo:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's not just the material used but the design of the frame can make a significant difference in how the bumps in the road get transmitted into the rider. As an example it has become popular to connect the seat stays into the top tube rather than directly to the seat tube. On my particular bike they also moved the rear brake off of the seat stays and onto the bottom bracket which allowed them to reduce the seat stay size to the point they have a lot of flex and allows them to act as sort of shock absorber. There was a huge difference in ride quality between my aluminum Trek and this carbon Scott.

Flex is great for comfort but not so great for speed so folks have to decide which is more important. I'm not interested in racing so flex is just fine with me.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Phylo- dumb question... You guys mention frame materials and how that impacts your ride comfort? Whats the difference in materials vs. comfort except for weight which I get?

Thanks for the insight. :ingo:

Ride comfort comes from many things besides frame material. Cheapest way to comfort is simply using a lower inflation pressure on your tires (less than 100psi depending on your weight). In addition slightly wider tires help (700 x 25). A good pair of padded cycling shorts worn without underwear, add Chamois Butt'r lube for longer rides. A good bike fit on a bike with the frame design (geometry) that meets your riding goals. The hardest part is finding a properly fitting saddle. Softer is usually not more comfortable. You want a saddle that supports your sit bones.

With regards to materials you will find on the sales floor:

CARBON is all the rage right now and will get you the better quality build and components. It is advertised as being comfortable but many of the items above will have a bigger impact.

ALUMINUM is the other mass market material that should get you in at a lower price point. The ride is said to be harsh but I just rode 350 miles on an aluminum frame last week. It really comes down to design.

Other materials that are not currently in favor with the marketing department:

STEEL can make for a great ride but if not properly built can be heavy. If you want a good steel bike nowadays you are likely looking at a custom build. Steel is real.

TITANIUM has all the good aspects of steel with some added benefits. Cost a bit more but can make for a lifetime frame. My primary bike is Ti and it's only limit is my legs. It can go from racing to a century ride to a tour.

If your budget permits (including accessories helmet, shorts, pedals...) I would say go with carbon.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Rode a Century yesterday with my local trike group. Rode from Gaston to Richmond on the Cardinal Greenway Trail. 102 miles total in nine hour of riding. One guy in our group is 84 years old and had a heart catheterization to clean up five blockages, just six weeks ago. Most of the guys in the group are in their 60's-70's. Hot as Hades but a very enjoyable ride. Have two more Centuries planned before summer is over.

All of us bought our trikes from the same shop. Victory Cycle Co. LLC - Indiana`s Largest Recumbent Shop

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Rode a Century yesterday with my local trike group. Rode from Gaston to Richmond on the Cardinal Greenway Trail. 102 miles total in nine hour of riding. One guy in our group is 84 years old and had a heart catheterization to clean up five blockages, just six weeks ago. Most of the guys in the group are in their 60's-70's. Hot as Hades but a very enjoyable ride. Have two more Centuries planned before summer is over.

All of us bought our trikes from the same shop. Victory Cycle Co. LLC - Indiana`s Largest Recumbent Shop

My retired neighbor picked up a CatTrike 559 at Victory just recently. You'll probably see him there... 6'2+ with a bushy white 'stache.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I see no one has posted in this thread for a LONG time, so just thought I'd kick start a new discussion.

It's bicycle season again. I'm on a mission to lose some excess lbs so I kicked off the season on Saturday May 26 with 10 mile (plus change) ride. The first week I logged a modest 50 miles total. Between yesterday (Sunday) and today I've already logged 48 miles, and hope to hit around 120 total for this week.

I know the lbs come off a lot easier in the beginning than they do once you get closer to the target, but this morning I'm down to 185 from 193 where I started, so about 8 lbs in the first week. I know it the rate of losing the lbs slows down from here, but my goal is to be down to around 160 by September.

I haven't got my pace to where I want it yet either. Right now I'm only averaging slightly above 14 mph, my goal is to get my pace up into the 16s or ambitiously into the 17s by the end of summer.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I've had a Trek 730 for a long time but have not ridden it in probably 3-4 years. Great hybrid, just kills my lower back/azz when I ride any significant time.

About a week ago I ordered a new Electra Townie 7D. This is designed to give the rider an upright seat position with the pedals forward of the seat post for a flat footed position. Very comfortable to ride. It's a 7 speed with chain guard, fenders, and LED front and rear lights powered by an internal wheel hub gennie. I should get it this week and hope to start putting a lot of miles on it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Saturday- completed the 32 mile route of the Fort4Fitness ride.
    Today- medial meniscectomy (the two were not directly related) - surgeon is a cyclist also.
    Better be back in shape for the Pumpkinvine in two weeks.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Saturday- completed the 32 mile route of the Fort4Fitness ride.
    Today- medial meniscectomy (the two were not directly related) - surgeon is a cyclist also.
    Better be back in shape for the Pumpkinvine in two weeks.

Nice work spencer!

I have a couple days off this week. I got in a 36 mile ride yesterday, I purposely stuck to bike paths to see what kind of condition they're in, turns out they have deteriorated to an unusable state for many miles if your goal is to maintain any challenging speed. Will have to come up with different routes this year,

I'm heading out the door right now to do 20, will go out again this evening with the wife, that will be an easier pace.

So far this week I've logged 116 miles, which will put me around 150 by the end of the day Saturday.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Nice work spencer!

I have a couple days off this week. I got in a 36 mile ride yesterday, I purposely stuck to bike paths to see what kind of condition they're in, turns out they have deteriorated to an unusable state for many miles if your goal is to maintain any challenging speed. Will have to come up with different routes this year,

I'm heading out the door right now to do 20, will go out again this evening with the wife, that will be an easier pace.

So far this week I've logged 116 miles, which will put me around 150 by the end of the day Saturday.
    :rockwoot::yesway:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Picked up a new flat bar hybrid this month. First bike I've owned in almost 15 years. I've been a runner for several years, but bikes run on completely different muscle groups so it's been slow going. My ass is killing me. waaa2

Hoping to commute to work at least a couple of fairweather days a week, and tool around town as an occasional alternative to the daily run. Tell you what, though, even though it's hard, I jumped on that thing for the first time and took off like it hadn't even been a day since the last time I rode. You really do never forget.

Top Bottom