Bicentennial Reproduction of Indiana's Official State Rifle (Muzzle Blasts)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    "An historic American long rifle from the bench of an 18th-century gunsmith is seeing a rebirth in the heart of the Old Northwest Territory. The 'Grouseland Rifle' was crafted in the early 1800s by Revolutionary War veteran and gunsmith John Small (1759-1821), and was designated the Official Rifle of the State of Indiana in 2012. As part of Indiana’s 2016 bicentennial, the rifle’s owner commissioned a reproduction tied as deeply to the land and the history of the Old Northwest as is the original Grouseland Rifle and its maker, John Small of Vincennes. This faithful reproduction will be available at auction in August/September 2016."

"The reproduction, along with an impressive velvet-lined burl walnut presentation case also crafted by Marvin Kemper, will be offered at auction between 15 August and 5 September 2016. Interested bidders can search GunBroker.com for “Grouseland Reproduction.” The auction page will contain additional photographs, terms, and conditions of the sale. Proceeds will support historical preservation of the Grouseland Rifle and the William Henry Harrison Mansion and Museum."

You can see the cover story, with color photos, on the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA) web site at http://bit.ly/298O0XB

Love to hear your thoughts or take your questions.

IMG_1501_zpsjwj8cnjc.jpg

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Glad you liked, Winamac. Marvin's craftsmanship on the reproduction is something to behold.

(My mother-in-law is buried in Walton. In the Odd Fellows cemetery.)

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I would love to own one like the one in the article. Unfortunately... my wallet says otherwise. Nice to dream though.:)

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Hey Kirk. That's hard to say. I'm sure it'll be driven by the historical interest in original State Rifle, and a collector's appreciation of the quality of Marvin's craftsmanship. And not just craftsmanship in the rifle, but in the presentation box, as well.

These photos appear in the article, but highlighting here the burl walnut presentation box. Inside is velvet lined with cut-out bed for the rifle and an engraved silver plate identifying this as the authorized bicentennial reproduction of the Official Rifle of the State of Indiana.

Marvin crafted brass and nickel display posts, leather-lined, which hide in a recessed compartment inside the box, but can be screwed to the lid and display as shown here, with the engraved Seal of the State of Indiana on the top surface of the lid. (John Small was intimately involved with the production of the first Indiana Territorial Seals, a design modified from the Seal of the Northwest Territory, and a design which evolved into today's official state seal.)

First sheriff (Knox County Sheriffs still recognize him), first adjutant general of the territorial militia (the Indiana Army National Guard recognizes him), the engraver that produced dozens of territorial seals for Governor William Henry Harrison.

When you think about all the roles that John Small in the early formation of the state, it's surprising he's not more well known. Hopefully this Bicentennial Reproduction -- and the stories we tell to help bring attention to Small's history and his work -- will help shine some light on his legacy.

In addition to the Muzzle Blast article linked above, I've got a piece submitted to Muzzleloader Magazine (Muzzleloader, The Publication for Traditional Black Powder Shooters) and a piece I'm working on for American Rifleman.

Lambert - presentation box closed.jpg Lambert - presentation box open.jpg

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Adding: Marvin Kemper (Liberty Longrifles LLC) will have the Bicentennial Reproduction on display at the Contemporary Longrifle Association Annual Show, 19-20 August, at the Lexington Convention Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Afterwards, the Reproduction returns to Harrison's Grouseland in Vincennes, where it will be on display with its great-granddaddy, the original John Small gun, until the successful bidder takes possession on September 11, 2016.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Adding: Marvin Kemper (Liberty Longrifles LLC) will have the Bicentennial Reproduction on display at the Contemporary Longrifle Association Annual Show, 19-20 August, at the Lexington Convention Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Afterwards, the Reproduction returns to Harrison's Grouseland in Vincennes, where it will be on display with its great-granddaddy, the original John Small gun, until the successful bidder takes possession on September 11, 2016.

I know I keep saying this, but this rifle is just so beautiful and the fact that it is to the state of Indiana what the Pennsylvania rifle is to Pennsylvania is just awesome. The history of this rifle and what it stands for just intrigues me to no end as a born and bred Hoosier.:)

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Winamac, I'm glad to hear you say that. That kind of appreciation -- the rifle as heritage and craftsmanship and a symbol of Indiana's frontier past -- that's what Grouseland and Marvin Kemper and others hope will come out of this project. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in here.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Didja happen to see that thin waisted girl in .36 that Mike Miller had in his booth? 2400.00. To tell you the truth, if I'd had it, she'd have gone home with me. And that's for a rifle of ZERO historical significance compared to the Grouseland rifle. It boggles the imagination to think what that thing's going to bring.

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Yes! It'll be exciting to see what kind of collector will value the whole story that goes along with the Grouseland reproduction rifle.

Top Bottom