• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nightjunio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am new to coyote hunting and am taking my first shot at next weekend. I am using a savage .223 with Hornady V-max ammo and have a primos electronic call ready to go. what I don't know is what is the best time to go out and try. I have heard late at night, early morning, and even late afternoon. what experiences do you guys have, I would love to know. I am hunting in Owen county.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    thier paired up and breeding and Feb being the peak of the rut the weather making them extra hungry they are on the move 24/7. pelts will be going down hill pretty fast though. if i could only pursue coyote 30 days a year it would the next thirty days.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    theres a buyer in bainbridge name is baker 765 552 3877, a guy in coatsville ron walters 765 386 2377. also ind. state trappers assn. website has a list of all buyers in the state.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    thier paired up and breeding and Feb being the peak of the rut the weather making them extra hungry they are on the move 24/7. pelts will be going down hill pretty fast though. if i could only pursue coyote 30 days a year it would the next thirty days.

With that said, would I be better off switching to howl's over rabbits (obviously there is no blanket answer, just looking for a opinion.

DBoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I'm no expert on it, but the first time we went out, we set our Foxpro on the howls for about 30 seconds, then switched over to a cottontail distress. Within about 3 minutes a nice big male came in and I put the smack down on him. But it all depends on your area and what the 'yotes are responding to, like I said I'm no expert on predator hunging by any means, that just worked for me. Hope that helps.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Very last light of the day has seemed to be best for me - just when it's almost too dark to shoot. I've never had much luck at midday except for during really cold weather with snow on the ground - like now.

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    I am going out this weekend. Have a box blind that is in great brush. Might be able to catch a couple of coyotes on the move. If nothing else, it will be a great time to get back outside.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm no expert, but this time of year I start a set out with a couple howls then switch over to a prey distress. I've had some come in on a run, hackled and growling in response to the howl. I've had some luck with a coyote decoy this time of year too.

I normally hunt mornings, with hunt being the key word. A lot of hunting, every once in a while some shooting.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Use howls not food calls. Now is the easiest to get them to come in. I'd be out right now if it was not so darn cold out.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    i have not seen to many out and about the last week or so. guessing the extreme wind keeping them down a bit. hoping they will be out this weekend! good luck to all out hunting

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Wednesday night we had two 20 yards from the front door. They were working a pile of brush adjacent to the garden trying to flush rabbits out. It was fun to watch as one got on the top of the pile and would jump up and down while the other waited for any to run out. I don't think they got any and I went out with a flashlight and they took off. I've got a police sub station 200 yards down the road, and live in town, so shooting them is not an option.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    Front coming in. Should be a good opp for a pm call Mon, Tues and Wed. Hit both sides of front. I plan to be out for sure. Been slow for us the last three times out (last 10 days)

Top Bottom