• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    So Father in laws birthday is coming up and he needs a new .22. He has a Remington 572 already but is interested in a semi auto that will do the same thing. Any help would be great i tried a search but too many terms to weed through. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Correct:

A semi auto will absolutely NOT be able to reliably chamber shorts, longs, and long rifles. The OAL of the cartridges aren't similar enough.

And the .22Mag is a substantially different cartridge - so that one's out from the very beginning, too.

Now - there are a few firearms conversion kits out there that you can convert down to .22 Short from .22LR (the Ruger 10/22) - but they're quite rare and rather pricy if you can find them. Then you have to find appropriate mags...

-J-

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Correct:

A semi auto will absolutely NOT be able to reliably chamber shorts, longs, and long rifles. The OAL of the cartridges aren't similar enough. -J-

Au contraire mon frère: Rimfire Rifle - Model 552 BDL Speedmaster - Remington Rimfire Rifle

The Model 552 BDL Speedmaster is the only American-made 22 autoloader that handles 22 short, 22 long, and 22 long-rifle cartridges interchangeably. Like its pump-action counterpart, it features adjustable big-game sights, positive cross-bolt safety and grooved receiver for scope mounts.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Correct:

A semi auto will absolutely NOT be able to reliably chamber shorts, longs, and long rifles. The OAL of the cartridges aren't similar enough.

And the .22Mag is a substantially different cartridge - so that one's out from the very beginning, too.

Now - there are a few firearms conversion kits out there that you can convert down to .22 Short from .22LR (the Ruger 10/22) - but they're quite rare and rather pricy if you can find them. Then you have to find appropriate mags...

-J-

There are a lot of old 550s, and 552 Remingtons floating around...Best semiauto 22s around IMO.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Au contraire mon frère: Rimfire Rifle - Model 552 BDL Speedmaster - Remington Rimfire Rifle

The Model 552 BDL Speedmaster is the only American-made 22 autoloader that handles 22 short, 22 long, and 22 long-rifle cartridges interchangeably. Like its pump-action counterpart, it features adjustable big-game sights, positive cross-bolt safety and grooved receiver for scope mounts.

Indeed not only handle 22 short ,long and lr but handle them smoothly and with no feeding issues.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    OK, Charles. The Remington 552, if you can find it for sale, last sold for $555. That's crazy, for a Remington 22.

Secondly, if you noticed your unnecessary graphic contained profanity that is not within the COC of INGO, why did you draw attention to it, instead of just taking it down?

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    OK, Charles. The Remington 552, if you can find it for sale, last sold for $555. That's crazy, for a Remington 22.

Secondly, if you noticed your unnecessary graphic contained profanity that is not within the COC of INGO, why did you draw attention to it, instead of just taking it down?
    really? I sold one a year ago for $115. a month or two before that bought it from bradis for $130. $555 dollars for one? it better shoot diamonds out of it for that price.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    really? I sold one a year ago for $115. a month or two before that bought it from bradis for $130. $555 dollars for one? it better shoot diamonds out of it for that price.

I wish you had sold it to me!! It is getting harder to fine a nice one for under $250 or so...The 550s are usually a little cheaper than the 552s.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd love a 552!!

My wife's ex-step dad has one. Good lookin' little plinker!!

I honestly had no idea they'd handle all three of the heeled .22 cartridges, though!

Pleased to learn that.

-J-

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The Savage/Stevens in the 87 series (A,B #6 etc) also called gill guns will shoot S,L, LR . Although the Shorts shoot as a single shot they still feed from the mag tube.

Top Bottom