• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I installed a super light trigger and hammer spring on my ruger gp100 and am having unreliable ignition. Strike without firing on 1 in maybe 15 RDS. CCI primers, spp 38sp.

I have Winchester and CCI primers only, but CCI are the only spp I have, so before I buy another brand to experiment, or increase trigger spring, figured I'd ask here.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Go up one pound on the hammer spring and you will probably be golden. Since most light springs have plenty of gap between the coils, you may be able shim up the spring end that is down my the frame end of the spring guide. A 1/4 inch will probably get you an extra pound of preload. Just be sure that you do not get coil bind. Good Luck

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Go up one pound on the hammer spring and you will probably be golden. Since most light springs have plenty of gap between the coils, you may be able shim up the spring end that is down my the frame end of the spring guide. A 1/4 inch will probably get you an extra pound of preload. Just be sure that you do not get coil bind. Good Luck

I do have another hammer spring 2# up, but would like to see if I can fix it with my load, without increasing pull. If the primer change doesn't fix it, then I'll try slowly upping the spring weight.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    CCI is hard, ran into that when adjusting the hammer spring tension on my old Smiths.

I use Remington 1 1/2 mostly for shooting J frame Smiths double action.

Federal is another good one for that task.

The reality is you want to set your gun up so it will ignite everything in double action, so load with CCI and adjust accordingly.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Remeasured headshake, 0.003. Gun is solid. It's had less than 1000rds through her, and of that, 900 have been super super lightweight lightly loaded 38's (125gr over 2.9-3.0gr titegroup)

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    CCI is hard, ran into that when adjusting the hammer spring tension on my old Smiths.

I use Remington 1 1/2 mostly for shooting J frame Smiths double action.

Federal is another good one for that task.

The reality is you want to set your gun up so it will ignite everything in double action, so load with CCI and adjust accordingly.

Nah, it's a special use gun, I want to be able to run it as fast as possible, think race gun. Get a load that works in the gun and I'm very happy. I'd rather tailor the load to the gun, than give up my 7lb trigger

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I had issues with CCI in my Dan Wesson. I switched to Winchesters for everything, and have had zero problems. Never any problems when I had to use Federal, but they dried up in my area. Winchesters it is. I still keep CCIs around for my 1911s though.

Top Bottom