• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mac4444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    I've been having a discussion with several fellow shooters about .45 acp loads. I've been using Clays for several years (185 HP/XTP & Gold Dot - 4.5 Clays – 5.0 for warmer loads.) plus I also shoot other bullets on occasion also loaded with Clays. Good clean accurate shooting with no residue. Two of my buddies swear by AA #7 10.5 and 11.5 for hotter loads. I generally carry and shoot either a Colt Defender or a Springfield Champion and I practise with every gun I carry at my home range. They swear by the old argument that the fuller the case, the less chance for powder weight deviation, thus more consistent accuracy. I buy this for my varmint reloading but I’m not sure for handguns. I use AA #7 for .357 for my 640 for +P loads. Can any of you experienced pistoleros give me your take on AA#7 for .45 ACP in the 31/2 and 4 inch 1911 barrels? Thanks Mac

PS I tried to search for both 1911 and 45 ACP but nothing came up. This happens all the time for me when I'm trying to go back to older posts on a subject I'm interested in ????

Deputy527

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Indy WestSide
    I've used Bullseye for 45 and AA#5 for 9. I just recently bought W231, but haven't loaded any up yet.

Bullseye 4.8-5.0 230g FMJ in my Kimbers's. Bullseye is dirty, but I clean religiously. During range time shooting a few hundred, I've not had any function problems. Good cheap powder.

I've been wanting to try Clays, but one powder at a time.

Mac4444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Most accurate .45 ACP load I have ever found

I used to shoot 1911 Bulleye and my reloader in South Bend loads 3.9 Bullseye over a cast 185 grain SWC, mixed brass, Win primers and the most accurate load I have ever found from the bench. I'm talking one hole groups with 10 shots without fliers many times in accurate guns. Mac

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Depends on the bullet weight.

For 230gn, I like 5.2gn of W231.

I tried AA#7 and found it to be dirty, but it shot well.

Supposedly AA#5 (or was it #2?) was designed to be used in the .45acp.

I'm wanting to try Unique, but haven't been able to find any.

Josh <><

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    5.5 grains of Unique make a decent target load... smokey though, not overly dirty... i have pretty much settled on HP-38 for all my handgun loads, however its not best suited for the 45

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    All the powders mentioned are good. I've recently used Alliant American Select. Since it is primarily a shotgun powder, it might be a little easier to obtain. It is a very clean burning powder. Another good powder is Alliant Power Pistol for some heavy loads. I do like Bullseye. As has been said it is dirty, but you can load some very good loads with the .45 ACP, as well as, a lot of other pistol cartridges.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm a hardcore W231 fan, I've used 5 grains for 20 years and its always worked and clean. It meters well, and is consistent in hot and cold Temps,
    I'm going to make people unhappy but I hate Bullsey and Unique, Both are dirty and smell bad,

I have recently bought some WST to try its supposed to be W231 but better

Top Bottom