Best place in FTW to purchase carry guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curtisms01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    I am starting the search for a good carry handgun for myself and possibly one for my fiancee? What are the best places in FTW to start my search? Price and expertise are the 2 biggest things for me.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Stuff around the area

We will compile a list of Indiana Gun Shops here.

Northern Indiana

Precision Arms of Indiana
    Precision Arms of Indiana LLC

124 W Van Buren St
    Columbia City, IN 46725
    (260) 244-4570

Ed Hirschy's Discount Guns

17929 Tonkel Rd
    Auburn, IN 46706
    (260) 627-3119

Kodiak Firing Range & Training Facility, Inc.

4611 S. Burnett Dr.
    South Bend, IN 46614
    574-299-8000

Mile Corner Gun & Gallery Inc.

4510 State Road 327
    Garrett, IN 46738
    (260) 357-3567

Ultimate Warrior

1385 N 200 W
    Angola, IN 46703
    (260) 665-5522

Flint Gun Shop And Trading Post

7595 W 50 N
    Angola, IN 46703
    (260) 665-2578

21ST Century Firearms INC

827 N Main
    Bluffton IN 46714
    (260) 824-5530

Blythe's Sport Shop
    (Griffith) Blythe's Sports & Gun Shop | Established 1952

138 N Broad St
    Griffith IN 46319
    (219) 924-4403

Blythe's Sport Shop (Valaparasio) Blythe's Sports & Gun Shop | Established 1952

2810 N. Calumet Ave.
    Valaparaiso, IN 46383
    (219) 476-0026

Fetla's Trading Post

1457 South State Road 2
    Valparaiso, IN 46385
    (219) 462-5221

Fetla's Trading Post II

18 South Main Street
    Knox, IN 46534
    (574) 772-5100

Roby's Bullseye Outdoors

[SIZE=-1]
    148 Creekside Dr[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Kokomo, IN 46901[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1](765) 459-0077[/SIZE]

Midwest Gun Exchange
    Midwest Gun Exchange - Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns and Knives

2516 Lincolnway West
    Mishawaka, IN 46544
    (574) 257-0020

Midwest Gun and Range
    Midwest Gun and Range - Home

128 Rush Ct.
    Elkhart, IN 46516
    (574) 293-2030

Granger Guns Granger Guns - Granger, Indiana

51160 Bittersweet Rd.
    Granger, IN 46530
    (574) 277-7588
    Plus Whan's in LaOtto (260) 897-3774
    SniperCo in FtW (260) 444-5049
    Ranger Supply in FtW (260) 432-5007
    Tomlinsons in Churubusco (260)693-2830
    Cedar Creek Guns in Garrett (I don't have the number handy)
    Beber Shot & Sinker in Auburn 260) 925-3328

RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I frequent Freedom Firearms quite a bit. I've noticed on a few things they are kinda high but over all they have the best selection in town, and the guys in the shop are very helpful.
    Not to mention they have the indoor range which is fantastic.

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    :runaway:should I say something about Hirschy.................:evilangel:
    Before I say something... is Hirschy liked around these parts? I have bought from him but I will keep my opinions to myself.

Don't forget the Ft. Wayne Gun Show. You may get better prices and the gun show is in 2 weeks. You will get to feel 100's of handguns at one location and shop prices all at one time. You can't beat it. Cash is king just keep that in mind.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I like doing business with Ed okay. However, I think he is for the experienced gun owner/shopper. I wouldn't send a first-timer there. YMMV.

live2hunt009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    I like Sniper Co.. Freedom is nice and having a range is awesome, but you can get better prices over at Sniper Co..

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Assuming FTW means Ft Wayne there are several good shops in the area and everyone has their personal favorites. They all have their own pros and cons.

Ranger Supply Co. on Getz Rd.
    -Russ has always treated me great over the years.

Sniper Co. on Highview Dr. just off W. Washington Cntr.
    -newer shop with a decent selection

Freedom Firearms (formerly H&H) on Executive Blvd. just off Coliseum
    -been awhile since I have been in there, but used to have a large selection and have an indoor shooting range

K&T Guns in New Haven
    -Keith is a good honest guy

Tomlinson's up in Busco
    -good selection and friendly staff

21st Century down in Bluffton
    -pretty big selection

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Assuming FTW means Ft Wayne there are several good shops in the area and everyone has their personal favorites. They all have their own pros and cons.

Ranger Supply Co. on Getz Rd.
    -Russ has always treated me great over the years.

Sniper Co. on Highview Dr. just off W. Washington Cntr.
    -newer shop with a decent selection

Freedom Firearms (formerly H&H) on Executive Blvd. just off Coliseum
    -been awhile since I have been in there, but used to have a large selection and have an indoor shooting range

K&T Guns in New Haven
    -Keith is a good honest guy

Tomlinson's up in Busco
    -good selection and friendly staff

21st Century down in Bluffton
    -pretty big selection

John has done an excellent job, but I will add a couple comments,

I recommend Tomlinson's first. Excellent selection available in the shop. Knowledgeable staff. Very friendly and willing to talk. Ask the questions and let them tell you about it. JetGirl works there. They are excellent with FFLs. Prices are good; no great bargains, just fair and reasonable. They also can sign you up for an outdoor range in the south edge of Busco. $25 to shoot all year from 0900 to sundown. Just have to bring your own targets and share the range with other folks.

21st Century are good folks, willing to help the learner. Good prices.

Freedom has the best selection in town. Lots of pieces to drool over. Lots of accessories. Staff has always been great to me. Good range, but often it is hard to get the targets to stay on the mount arms. Clamps are very loose. Be sure to wear proper protection. Lots of folks take their rookies there to train and I have seen people injured by shrapnel flying of the target clamps.

Russ at Ranger Supply is great guy, but I have found the selection there limited. He can get just about anything, though. He is very helpful.

Sniper has been showing a lot of used equipment, on consignment I think. I enjoy just stopping in to see what is on hand.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Tomlinson's in Churubusco. Only about 15 mins from Fort Wayne and a great staff :rockwoot:. They always have great selection of both handguns and rifles. Plus a large selection of accessories.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    I frequent Freedom Firearms quite a bit. I've noticed on a few things they are kinda high but over all they have the best selection in town, and the guys in the shop are very helpful.
    Not to mention they have the indoor range which is fantastic.

Those guy's at Freedom Arms may be helpful , but not knowledgeable !

Example : My friend goes there to get a 6 round magazine for his Springfield 3.5" 1911. He asks for help from one those guy's behind the counter , and the worker takes his pistol over to the magazines and quickly finds a Springfield mag that will fit .
    The guy opens the package and puts the mag into the gun and racks the slide , the slide does not lock back , my Friend and him both look stunned and the worker says this must be for a different kind of Springfield 3.5" 1911 !
    So I ask him if I could take a look at his gun to see what might be the problem . As he handed it to me from 2 feet away it was plain as day why the slide would not lock back on that empty mag !

This is his first 1911 and after his first outing he could not figure out how to take it apart to clean it , to which I showed him and told him he needed to download a copy of the manual as he bought this used , so that he could learn to do it himself .
    Well , he did that and took it apart and put it back together , except he never got the slide stop put back in fully be cause it never went thru the barrel link and was sticking out of the side of the gun enough to tell something was wrong !

Catsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Ft Wayne
    It's not IN Ft. Wayne, but myself and a good friend of mine have both made handgun purchases from ZX Guns in Goshen. Good service and have yet to find anyone beat their firearm prices!!

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I like fast and easy......

Ranger Supply - Low end stuff in stock, typically, and very little of it. However, they can get most anything if you are willing to wait for it. The big thing Ranger has going for them is they do what I call "Light Gunsmithing" for little to no charge as long as you buy the items from them. They installed trigger groups, rails, butt stocks, etc. for me at no extra charge. I don't know of another shop that does that. I don't shop here anymore so I have learned to do these things myself and I love it! Half the fun is installing it!

Freedom Arms - Great selection of almost everything available, prices a bit high but not bad at all. Service is usually friendly but some there can be pretty snotty on a pretty regular basis. I have not detected a willingness to go above and beyond with service.

21st Century - A bit of a drive to Bluffton but they have a selection that is worth the drive. Their show prices are great, their shop prices are really high, in my experience anyway. They also have reloading equipment and supplies and they're a class 3 dealer too.

Hirchy - Not a place for a new to shooting person. Ed is way full of crap with stupid, insipid "advice" that is nothing short of self-serviing garbage. Aside from that, he has a great selection, decent prices (if you do your homework first and get agreement on the money BEFORE you go in). He can also get almost anything you want. He has BIG pull with his distributors like no one else so he can get anything pretty fast.

Sniperco - This shop looked like it was going to be great when I first went in there. Real friendly, knowledgable, energetic staff and an OK selection. However, SOMETHING has happened there because that shop goes through staff like water and the inventory is hit and miss. I sent a couple of friends (BOTH are decorated combat veterans) in there about 8 weeks ago and they both went in seperately and both were treated like crap. Again, not sure what the problem is there but hopefully they will get it straightened away. The more good gun stores the better, IMO.

Tomlinsons - Churubusco - Nice shop with lots of guns, reloading supplies, black powder, rifles, shotties, and handguns. Very nice people working there that are very helpful. Their prices are a little on the high side but definately not bad and they are willing to sharpen their pencil if they have the room to. This is also THE place to have transfers done. They are inexpensive and friendly and make the transaction as painless as possible.

Last edited:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    It's not IN Ft. Wayne, but myself and a good friend of mine have both made handgun purchases from ZX Guns in Goshen. Good service and have yet to find anyone beat their firearm prices!!
    They will be at the gun show in the Coliseum on the weekend of the 18th and they always have GREAT prices with a huge selection. No need to drive to Goshen!

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    I've bought a few guns from freedom firearms and have been pleased with them. It's nice they have a range and you get a free range pass with a gun purchase. Prices aren't the best in town but they have a lot of stock. Sniperco is a bit cheaper but don't have as many guns and I had a disappointing experience my first time in there, but maybe that guy is gone now. Who knows. Check those two places out

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    He has his groupies...but *gag*, I ain't one of 'em. :twocents:

Ok Jet Girl., You and I can be friends!

I like his selection, but When I have cash in hand and I want to shop and you tell me know when I want to feel 5-6 guns... come back when I know which "1" I want.... How am I supposed to know without holding them first? Plus when you tell me your ammo is better quality than that of everywhere else? When it is the same brand, and grain weight? I am sorry but the ammo is the same that you sell as Walmart... Sorry to Hijack.

Top Bottom