Best Non-FFL items you buy at the show.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Have bought many magazines, lights and holsters there. Hard to find parts and pieces as well!

Just don't sell anything sugary... please... my diabetes begs you not to!!! :)

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    last time I went I bought a nice surplus Yugo helmet, I'll lend it to my niece when she's riding a skateboard at my house for some head protection if she doesn't bring her own.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    It is typically a frugal bunch, but maybe a decent selection of quality folding/space-saving carts and prepper storage solutions in your booth. If you have a small group of helpers, a concierge service that could pack bulk ammo and other purchases to vehicles could earn a few extra bucks (using your carts to demo). I've passed up buying things before because I didn't want to deal with getting them back to my truck.

RaoulHayduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    West of Indy
    I tire of the flea market garbage when I do go. Since my interests mostly lie in old milsurps, I keep an eye out for stripper clips & mags, books, and ammo. It's always a delight to paw over bayonets, and sometimes I'll buy surplus clothing.

When my friends and I go, sometimes the best buy is at the Chinese buffet afterwards.

TheFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    St. Joseph County
    The things I miss from the Indy1500 shows are the couple of vendors that carried some higher end parts. Trijicon, GG&G, AD, ARMS, Badger, Aimpoint, LaRue... parts, etc. I'm SOO sick of all the cheap China parts.

PK out of Illinois was one of those vendors. They probably stopped showing up because the Indy1500 is turning into a flea market instead of a gun show.
    PK Firearms |
    Last time I went to a show that had some decent sights and scopes they wouldn't let anyone touch anything or open any of the boxes to look at the stuff. It was all higher end glass and sights. I wanted to get an eotech. It made no sense to me whatsoever that I couldn't look at the stuff. For all I know it could have been China knockoffs. After that experience I didn't care about looking for anything expensive at a show. I'm positive I did see some fakes while I was there. I'd rather buy from a shop directly or online retailer any day to make sure I'm not getting screwed on a fake or on warranty.
    I also agree about the last show I went to being more like a flea market. Waste of $5 to look at junk and over priced .22lr

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So the 6 year old goes with me to our local shows, with that...my 2 best non ffl buys....lunch & a stuffy (but only for good girls) ....... this works well at camp perry as well

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    This has been a useful thread to me.

I'd always heard about the Indy 1500 and I think it was advertised in Shotgun News and when I finally made it, I wasn't impressed. I figured I was just spoiled by Texas gun shows but I see it has declined over the years.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I like the cheese and jerky vendors. I don’t go anywhere else that has variety like they do. I do wish for more accessories like slings as mentioned earlier. I haven’t really spent any real money there since before Sandy Hook and I try to not miss a show. Between Covid and my schedule, I haven’t made a show since the Fall show last year. With ammo prices I’ve been hearing about, I may skip the January show if it happens.

Matt

357Slinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Sellersburg
    It has been a few years since I went to that flea market. When I lived around Indy, I used to go every year but had watched it decline into what other posters have referred to here.

But, I don't recall seeing much exhibited/for sale in the way of modern body armor... not some old steel plate stuff, but kevlar or modern materials.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    my Indy 1500 experience:

Dad and I attended the first Indy 1500. Back then there was no better a place to see a vast array of firearms.we have attended shows together for years. Since I was young looking more at slingshots rubber band guns and buck folding knives it seemed like the circus and sideshow was in town.

I buy and keep or collect. If I sell it is to upgrade. It has been nice to buy smith model 60’s new for 225 ruger Mark 2 government models new at 200. Those days long gone. When was the first Indy 1500? anyone know.

I remember a guy with about 25 Winchester commemorative lever action files on a double table. The please ask to handle sign was on one table not both. A guy grabbed one and cycles the action like 7 times and the table owner goes off. “That rifle has never been cycled you ba$tar*” he grabbed the rifle out of the guys hand and then proceeds to pack up both tables and left the building screaming about Indianapolis show being filled with trash buyers and he was never setting up again. That was at the first show.

to this day I always ask first even on say a well abused 10-22 with rusty aluminum ( see what I did there). Common table manners.

I did see that dealer at national gun day and other large regional shows since. I think he pasted away in 2007 or got so he could no longer setup but that man made me a lot of money on Winchester commortives over the years. I never liked them personally but they were the beanie babies of leveractions for decades. Two of those boxes with no rifles made me 350 cash.

Last time dad and I went together the isles were packed full ( maybe sandy hook era) and I saw a Remington bullet knife at a table I know he was looking for. We stopped in front of what I can only describe as a bedazzled jewelry style table and I was letting him know where the knife was located in the show. The lady behind the table yelled at us that we could not stand in the isle in front of her tables and to move along. I did not hold my tongue about that bedazzled booth owning the isles.

I think I have seen two negligent discharges. One outside at the door one inside. Overall the show has been great but since 2010 the cost no longer covers the entertainment value with the parking sur charge. We go occasional basis and I have gone after work with co workers. National gun day and Ohio gun collectors association shows plus the smaller 5 dollar free parking shows seem to get us to go.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    my Indy 1500 experience:

Dad and I attended the first Indy 1500. Back then there was no better a place to see a vast array of firearms.we have attended shows together for years. Since I was young looking more at slingshots rubber band guns and buck folding knives it seemed like the circus and sideshow was in town.

I buy and keep or collect. If I sell it is to upgrade. It has been nice to buy smith model 60’s new for 225 ruger Mark 2 government models new at 200. Those days long gone. When was the first Indy 1500? anyone know.

I remember a guy with about 25 Winchester commemorative lever action files on a double table. The please ask to handle sign was on one table not both. A guy grabbed one and cycles the action like 7 times and the table owner goes off. “That rifle has never been cycled you ba$tar*” he grabbed the rifle out of the guys hand and then proceeds to pack up both tables and left the building screaming about Indianapolis show being filled with trash buyers and he was never setting up again. That was at the first show.

to this day I always ask first even on say a well abused 10-22 with rusty aluminum ( see what I did there). Common table manners.

I did see that dealer at national gun day and other large regional shows since. I think he pasted away in 2007 or got so he could no longer setup but that man made me a lot of money on Winchester commortives over the years. I never liked them personally but they were the beanie babies of leveractions for decades. Two of those boxes with no rifles made me 350 cash.

Last time dad and I went together the isles were packed full ( maybe sandy hook era) and I saw a Remington bullet knife at a table I know he was looking for. We stopped in front of what I can only describe as a bedazzled jewelry style table and I was letting him know where the knife was located in the show. The lady behind the table yelled at us that we could not stand in the isle in front of her tables and to move along. I did not hold my tongue about that bedazzled booth owning the isles.

I think I have seen two negligent discharges. One outside at the door one inside. Overall the show has been great but since 2010 the cost no longer covers the entertainment value with the parking sur charge. We go occasional basis and I have gone after work with co workers. National gun day and Ohio gun collectors association shows plus the smaller 5 dollar free parking shows seem to get us to go.

My first show was back in 05. I was in awe, and too poor to buy anything. In fact my buddy paid for my ticket for me. It was like a magic land. I remember looking at a table full of AKs for about $350 and just dying I didn't have the cash to buy one. The next time I went was 2010 or 2011. Was still amazed bit that time I walked out with a Remington 1911 and a beaming smile.

Bee. Going every year since. Most years several times a year. And tho the quality of selection has dropped. I still love to go. I love just a few stoplights away so now my gf drops me off at the light outside the gates so no parking fee for me.

In my ~10 years of going i have never seen or heard a N.D.

I wish I could go back and buy a half dozen or two of those $350 AKs

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Back in the late 80's early 90's it was great. Kent Lamont would set up with all his Class 3 stuff. We'd go to dinner after the show and it was fantastic.
    Around 2002 started helping Mike Wood (R.I.P.) with the Busse knife table. Always a good time and Mike became probably my best friend. We'd people watch and it got pretty entertaining at times. We'd wander around and pick up a few things almost every show. Ammo, mags a gun here and there.

Once Busse stopped the distribution at shows, I believe I only went 2- 3 times. Mike came over from Columbus OH and we'd pick up the wives after and go out for dinner. I can't see going and paying the parking and entrance fee extortion rate to wander around and see people that are real proud of their items.

Bob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I love seeing firearms parts and mags at good prices, even used is great for some items. Trouble is, if you're coming here to ask about what to carry you probably won't stock up on that kind of inventory. It's expensive to stock and hold and takes time to gather.

When I went to shows it was with a specific list. Top of that list was ALWAYS primers, powder, projectiles, and a new reloading manual.

This has been a useful thread to me.

I'd always heard about the Indy 1500 and I think it was advertised in Shotgun News and when I finally made it, I wasn't impressed. I figured I was just spoiled by Texas gun shows but I see it has declined over the years.

QFT

I went to a gun show in Ft Worth a few years ago and NOTHING has compared since. I used to make the 1500 my annual trip but the prices weren't much different than retail and I had to pay extortion fees just for the privilege of being there. I used to just count the fees as part of the experience but gun shows in general aren't worth it anymore. Too much chinesium and non-firearms related garbage...that, and vendors very much in love with their inventory. My last show I collected business cards so I know who to buy from directly.

Top Bottom