• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    To each their own. I see nothing at all wrong with that. But, I think it also depends how often it's shot, how often it's checked to make sure it's snug and the weather conditions it's subjected to.
    But really, it's probably mostly personal preference
    The luxury of using an Anti-Seize is, a thread protector, a can or just threaded parts that constantly get hot and cold is they will easily unscrew after years of being subjected to that life of temperature change. Grease and oils will dissipate.
    Also to include to be used with dissimulator metals are fastened together.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The luxury of using an Anti-Seize is, a thread protector, a can or just threaded parts that constantly get hot and cold is they will easily unscrew after years of being subjected to that life of temperature change. Grease and oils will dissipate.
    Also to include to be used with dissimulator metals are fastened together.
    True
    However, in this case I'm pretty sure the gun the OP is talking about will be regularly maintained. So, it may not justify the use of anti seize

Lpherr

Occupied
    What's the stuff the proctologist uses?
    Don't use that...it doesn't work.
    Maybe the doc should do like some here do, and apply it heavily, then wipe off the excess.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Inox has been my go to for a few years in everything. Not sure it’s any better or worse than the million others but does seem to stay where you put it.

triggerhammer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2023
    Michigan City
    Brian Enos Slide-Glide (light or standard), Lubriplate SFL Gun Grease, or SuperLube Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease (w/ PTFE) are my preferred products. For small or hard-to-reach areas "Nail Tees" work great!

Attachments

• Nail Tees.jpg
      Nail Tees.jpg
      170.2 KB · Views: 8

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    CRC - White Lithium Grease works great.
    It is easy to see against the steel (wipe off the excess) or when contaminated with residue or dirt.

Reactions: Leo

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The Lucas products are good. Tetra is also good. TW25b is good. I also like the Wilson Combat products.

Pick one.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't over oil an O/U.
    Beretta has a factory gunsmith demonstrate this at the big events, like the NSSA or World Sporting Clays championships.

The forearm iron and the pivot gets a dab of fresh white lithium with anything that is dirty wiped away. Basically, if you can see it, it is too much. There are only 5 places inside of the actions that get lube, like the tip of a toothpick amount of lube. Think of lubing a watch. When I was competing with a new 682 Gold trap, I had shot for 3 years before I ever pulled the stock off. It was still clean and well lubed. In that three year period, I had shot over 15,000 targets. (that is a casual shooter in the Trap shooting world) I did keep a small amount of fresh white grease on the pivots every time out that was typically 100 for league or 200 targets for events. That gun is a 1986 model and still locks up right. I still have not used up the factory 1 oz Beretta lube that came in the case.

Hunting out in the weather needs disassembly and relube, but still very little oil. There are bunches of fine old doubles with the stocks eaten away by oil from over lubing.

They ain't like a Colt .45 or a pump gun.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Don't over oil an O/U.
    Beretta has a factory gunsmith demonstrate this at the big events, like the NSSA or World Sporting Clays championships.

The forearm iron and the pivot gets a dab of fresh white lithium with anything that is dirty wiped away. Basically, if you can see it, it is too much. There are only 5 places inside of the actions that get lube, like the tip of a toothpick amount of lube. Think of lubing a watch. When I was competing with a new 682 Gold trap, I had shot for 3 years before I ever pulled the stock off. It was still clean and well lubed. In that three year period, I had shot over 15,000 targets. (that is a casual shooter in the Trap shooting world) I did keep a small amount of fresh white grease on the pivots every time out that was typically 100 for league or 200 targets for events. That gun is a 1986 model and still locks up right. I still have not used up the factory 1 oz Beretta lube that came in the case.

Hunting out in the weather needs disassembly and relube, but still very little oil. There are bunches of fine old doubles with the stocks eaten away by oil from over lubing.

They ain't like a Colt .45 or a pump gun.
    I tend to use a bit more grease than you describe, but a bit less than Dean described.
    The most important thing is to use a lube that will stay put and do it's job. Second, re-lube often as dry dusty conditions will allow grit to get into the grease.
    I totally agree with going easy with the oil. I use a small drop of oil where the extractors slide. Otherwise I mostly just wipe it down with a flannel rag with a dab of silicone lube just to protect against surface rust. They don't need to be run wet like some tactical style guns

Reactions: Leo

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I've got nearly every gun grease and oil known to man under my work bench. I recently put TW25b on my o/u, including the choke tubes. Any good gun grease will do the job and probably a lot of greases not made for guns!
    I went through a period where I tried a lot of different cleaners/lubricants and I use TW25B on everything I own. It’s a little pricey but performance is top notch and it cuts down on cleaning time as well.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    What is the best grease / oil to use on an over under shotgun? With so many options I cannot imagine they are all equal…. Or is it all personal preference and this will become a ford vs chevy thread?
    You actually answered your own question. There is no best grease/ oil. It is only personal preference. As Americans we are blessed with so many choices! The only bad choice is not to lubricate at all.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You actually answered your own question. There is no best grease/ oil. It is only personal preference. As Americans we are blessed with so many choices! The only bad choice is not to lubricate at all.
    I figured that was the case just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a clearly superior product or one to avoid.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What, no one has recommended the dip stick off their car? Standards have really gone up around here...
    I have done that, but never in a good O/U. I try to have my gear in the ready condition before I show up in the field. My friends and family, not so much.

Of course with car oil becoming sophisticated synthetic at $8 a quart, it is probably better than any gun lube that was available a generation ago.

Top Bottom