• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    The title says it all. What are the best low budget, factory built, off the shelf AR-15's? I'm talking around $600.

With everything thats's going on these days I find myself being asked pretty much daily which AR-15 to buy. I always go through my same routine of asking questions about what they want to do with it and how much they want to spend. Most never really know but still want to buy. I mention PSA and other manufacturers. I talk about how easy they are to build and how cheap it can be but most shy away quickly. I've even talked with guys who work with their hands daily in maintenance and HVAC and they aren't even interested in building one.

After all that I'm left with recommending rifles that I don't have any hands on experience with but I've read enough about to give the thumbs up. I'd like to change that. I plan to buy myself an off the shelf $600 or so AR and prove what I think I already know will be the case. I think there are some pretty decent budget AR's out there right now.

I know it is inevitable that this could turn into a "this maker is better" or "just spend a couple hundred more and get a Spikes/BCM or whatever" thread. Those statements are true but not the point I'd like to make. Most new buyers who aren't on this forum want a low budget rifle and unfortunately on here we rarely here about them.

So, what are they? Who has them and actually shoots them? That's the key. Many of us have AR's but not all of us make sure they're actually good to go and will run when we need them to.

Again, I'm looking at the $600 range. Factory built and off the shelf of a local shop.

A few I'd like to learn and hear ACTUAL real life INGO experience about:

S&W M&P Sport 1 and 2
    Anderson Manufacturing
    New Bushmasters

This has my vote:

AERO AC-15 Complete Rifle | Aero Precision

and we will have a dozen arrive Friday.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    The M&P Sport II's really do look nice. I almost went with one for my first AR but decided to go with the FN-15. It's on lay away and its driving me nuts...... I almost have it paid off but it bugs me knowing that if i had went with the M&P I'd have it already.....

Attachments

• FNH-FN15-e1396040299961.jpg
      FNH-FN15-e1396040299961.jpg
      559.4 KB · Views: 9

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    This guy has a decent video on building a lower.

Doing this and mating one with a barreled upper can make it easier than doing it in "LEGO" mode if you don't consider yourself handy.

[video=youtube;e1omm6jY7Gg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1omm6jY7Gg[/video]

datIANguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2014
    Colfax
    Well after reading thru this thread, I'm semi happy I got my Cor15. I picked it up off a buddy who was in a pinch. Granted it was heavier than I had expected.

What are these training classes I keep seeing you guys post about??? And I'm getting different opinions on what I need to have in my spare parts kit. With my little 3x scope 100 yd shots shouldn't be too bad I hope.
    The only problem I am having is spending that $$ for the ammo, and I can't justify reloading equipment yet. It did spark a bug that I want another in 7.62 and maybe a 300 blackout or 458 SOCOM.

Doing all the reading I have it seems most parts are universal, but I'm probably wrong. I know there will be slight differences but it's worth it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Congrats on the new Core. Get a pic posted so we can see. Warning you now they do somehow multiply in the safe.

I love my Core and had a great experience with their customer service. Mine started out as a .223 scout rifle and is now sporting their heavy profile 300Blk barrel. Going to be my main hog blaster.

Not sure why they are on the down low and not much is heard about them.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Jumped on Black Friday pricing ($699.00) at Grab A Gun a couple of years ago and it netted me a state compliant 20" Bushmaster Target that now has very few original Bushmaster parts left.

For seeming to be the stepchild of brands, I am quite happy with the final product. It is consistently a 1 MOA performer at 100 yards now.

The recent addition of an ATN 5-14 X-Sight II digital day/night optic has increased the warm and fuzzy factor X100 !

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    My dept. issued rifle is a standard 16" DPMS carbine length which was very used when it was given to me. Since being issued I have used it in multiple patrol rifle classes as well as FBI SWAT school and have not had a single malfunction or hiccup in who knows how many rounds. Proper cleaning / lubrication / inspection of parts goes a long way. Now we aren't doing much long range stuff with these, mostly CQB and targets less than 75 yards. I did add some of my own stuff to the rifle (magpul stock/forend, Aimpoint H2 Micro, good sling, light), but all the internal parts are stock.

We are supposed to be getting new rifles next year, much nicer than what we have, but I will say I feel 100% confident fighting with this rifle if I am called to.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Got my Mossberg MMR from Buds on sale for $459. It has nice front and rear sights, however they do not fold down. The newest versions are Magpul Mlok equipped I believe. They are not forward assist equipped if you want that option....don't believe barrel is chrome lined either. I've got somewhere around 1000 trouble free rounds through mine so far....suits me well, but I'm also a Mossberg fan.

Kmocao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Somewhar in the Bush
    A friend and I both have recently aquired Ruger AR-556s, first rifles in both cases. A few hundred rounds later, and zero issues. A solid, well made gun that just feels good in the hands and is easy to shoot. Very happy with it so far

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    To buy one off the shelf would you go with the ruger or the mossberg. I too am looking to get in one off the shelf for the best price but reliable

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I would avoid the mossbergs. UNless they have improved recently. I saw numerous failures with them on the line. Don't remember seeing one make it through a weekend with out any issues.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    but.....but.....but.....I took mine out and fired 50 flawless rounds last weekend for the first time. I'd highly recommend it.

I would avoid the mossbergs. UNless they have improved recently. I saw numerous failures with them on the line. Don't remember seeing one make it through a weekend with out any issues.

Top Bottom