• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhalanX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    I am new to Indiana, as in I moved here about 3 months ago, and am wondering where some good places to camp are.
    Looking for anywhere in state, but I am located in central Indianapolis.

More than likely I would be just camping with a tent/bare min.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    HNF plenty of places to camp very remote
    I cant stand the DNR camp grounds where they pack everyone together

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am new to Indiana, as in I moved here about 3 months ago, and am wondering where some good places to camp are.
    Looking for anywhere in state, but I am located in central Indianapolis.

More than likely I would be just camping with a tent/bare min.

Suggestions?

Once you've got your tent set up and the mosquitos start to bite, now what do you want to do?

Fish?Hike?Socialize with other campers? Check out other set ups? Crafts or organised programs? Isolation? Explore cliffs? Caves? Springs? Bicycle? Bike an established trail? Bike by your self? On a road? On a trail? Hunt? Shoot? Archery?Drive to town? Swim? Boat?

Martin State Forest, an Indiana State Park near Bedford

Hoosier National Forest, an Indiana National Park

Last edited:

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    I like Chain o' lakes state park in northern Indiana. Renting a canoe and wander through the lakes makes for a relaxing day.

PhalanX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Once you've got your tent set up and the mosquitos start to bite, now what do you want to do?

Fish?Hike?Socialize with other campers? Check out other set ups? Crafts or organized programs? Isolation? Explore cliffs? Caves? Springs? Bicycle? Bike an established trail? Bike by your self? On a road? On a trail? Hunt? Shoot? Archery?Drive to town? Swim? Boat?

To be honest, I have very little experience camping. I love the out doors, and the multitude of things you have listed sounds great. You left out biking in a cave... I would like to try that, even if it might be a little painful. :)

More than likely it would have to be something that would be fun with my family. Any place that is good with dogs? We would be looking for a good place to just hike/explore.

Hope that clears things up..

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Stay away from "Heartland Resort" in Greenfield. Unless you have a thing for biting insects, kids racing golf carts around, noisy I-70 traffic, and MOST of all NO FISH!!!!

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Patoka lake has a campground that has the sites spread out pretty well. You do not see other campers once you get back in there. Google up backcountry camping, and Patoka lake.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    To be honest, I have very little experience camping. I love the out doors, and the multitude of things you have listed sounds great. You left out biking in a cave... I would like to try that, even if it might be a little painful. :)

More than likely it would have to be something that would be fun with my family. Any place that is good with dogs? We would be looking for a good place to just hike/explore.

Hope that clears things up..

Take a weekend trip to Spring Mill state park. See what you like there and let me know what you thought was fun. Bring your bicycles. a lantern, a flash light, a grill to cook on. Some mosquito coils, get a couple oil lanterns at walmart they are about $5 a piece and some tiki torch mosquito repellant oil for the lantern It will help with bugs and when they nay sayers here scream it doesn't work well it still gives light. They are cheap, cheap to use, easier to use than a coleman lanter when a little light is all you need and handy during a power outage at home.

I'd leave the dog at home but if you bring it, he's not allowed in the pioneer village but I think is good every where else.

There's a pond where the kids can fish. It's plenty to pacify a kid's want for fishing. Plenty or trails and stuff to see and they might even learn something.

Spring Mill State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spring Mill State Park, an Indiana State Park near Bedford, Jeffersonville

explore! SOUTHERN INDIANA Attractions! - Featured Articles

I grew up in Rushville, lived in Indianapolis, Brownsburg, Bargersville and Lebanon. I made the drive from all of those to camp for a weekend or 3 day weekend at Spring Mill State park and it was always worth the drive.

Be careful though, I liked it so much I moved here.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Indiana has some great state parls for camping. Spring Mill and Chain of Lakes has already been mentioned. Turkey Run by Crawfordsville is one of my favorites, great canoeing and hiking. Clifty Falls is another one well worth checking out. Brown County is beautiful in the fall.

PhalanX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    I'd leave the dog at home but if you bring it, he's not allowed in the pioneer village but I think is good every where else.

There's a pond where the kids can fish. It's plenty to pacify a kid's want for fishing. Plenty or trails and stuff to see and they might even learn something.

Spring Mill State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spring Mill State Park, an Indiana State Park near Bedford, Jeffersonville

explore! SOUTHERN INDIANA Attractions! - Featured Articles

Thanks for all the advice! Thanks for everyone putting some comments up! I am excited to check them out! :D

Top Bottom