• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ReverendEK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2022
    Terre Haute
    I'm still thinking about selling mine. Nothing wrong with it and I have no complaints about function (but I've only put like 7 mags through it), but I just don't like the way it feels. It's just so light that it feels like a toy to me. I much prefer my Browning Buckmark.
    Can’t get over the looks of the Buckmark or the Mark 3/4. I understand that the longer barrel makes them more accurate, but I like the simple tear down of modern stylings. If I see your TX22 on the Classifieds, I’ll cop it probably. (After I reach 50 posts)

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    +1 for the M&P 22c. Had two and liked both. Other than bottom of the barrel stuff it runs any good ammo just fine.

Also heard good things about the Ruger SR22.

Don't overlook double action revolvers for pistol basics, unless you've already covered that.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thats Easy.....you didn't mention a budget so...Smith and Wesson model 41....Trust me. There is no stock production Pistol any better
    He did say he was looking for the most reliable and in my experience of owning a 41 other 22 semi autos are more reliable like my MKII Rugers , SIg P322 and even my recently acquired Smith Victory. With CCI std. Vel. my 41 is pretty reliable but start to try other types of ammo and a lot higher rates of malfunctions.

My most reliable 22 semi auto now is my Sig P322 , it just shoots everything I tried in it and the pistol is quite accurate for such a lightweight.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Have the Ruger SR 22 and LCP II . Actually like the LCP a bit better. Just a thought, if it is too reliable, how do you teach her how to clear a jam, etc.?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My kids as teens and adults preferred the Colt Woodsman.
    Grip feel and size their comment
    Ruger 5 1/2" bull, Buckmark 5.5 Target and High Standard Sharpshooter were frowned upon.

2nd place, went to Walther P22.

Funny as that is.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some folks like to plink, others more serious.
    Good sights and triggers are never bad things.
    Kinda pushes one towards certain stuff.

Understand a place for trainer duty type guns. But think it actually a non issue, if one is to be a shooter.

Somebody that will only have 2 guns, the cheap trainer and a duty gun, maybe it makes sense.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW my P22 shot well, was reliable but the sights sucked. Even for a trap line gun I disliked it.

The little Ruger Bearcat w adj sights is way more money. But dang if that might not be ideal

Ed steinberry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2022
    New castle
    Thats Easy.....you didn't mention a budget so...Smith and Wesson model 41....Trust me. There is no stock production Pistol any better
    The model 41 is my favorite 22 semi auto I’ve ever owned in my life. I learned how to shoot on one of those. I’m not sure about a first gun to learn on though. I’d probably want something a little more modern for a daughter.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Went with the ruger 22/45 lite platform pistol basics, competitive shooting, cheap plinking, and hunting all in one package. Not to mention tons of aftermarket support optics ready adjustable sights, seemed like the best option for my application.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    The model 41 is my favorite 22 semi auto I’ve ever owned in my life. I learned how to shoot on one of those. I’m not sure about a first gun to learn on though. I’d probably want something a little more modern for a daughter.
    I would agree. I like the 41 so much I sometimes throw it out there without thinking about the big picture.
    Its heavy its expensive and somewhat hard to find. Changed my vote to a Ruger mk iv

Ed steinberry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2022
    New castle
    I would agree. I like the 41 so much I sometimes throw it out there without thinking about the big picture.
    Its heavy its expensive and somewhat hard to find. Changed my vote to a Ruger mk iv
    Oh yeah you can’t go wrong with the mk iv. I don’t currently own one but I’ve put a brick through my fathers over the last fall.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Smith 41 is my favorite 22 pistol followed by;
    Ruger MKII Competition
    Sig P220 (The full size 220)
    Walther PP 22 (The metal PP Pistol)
    Smith Model 17
    Colt Officers Match

Rifles
    CZ 452s
    Winchester 75
    Remington 513T and 541T (Tie)
    Marlin 39
    Norinco K98 Trainer in 22
    Weatherby XXII

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Never shot the 41, but I have a 622 I bought new and a 422 I bought used a few years ago. Still my favorite plinkers. Uses the same mag as the 41, so if I ever got a 41, got that part covered.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Kind of an oddball but I have a sig p938 in 22 with threaded barrel that has fed anything I have put in it. Mags load really fast with knob you push down when loading it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hogue slabs on Striplin adapters, Buckmark 5.5 w a swapped in Contour bbl. Even w a lesser reflex its a freakin favorite. My 1911 w Kart conversion supposedly a primo rig, and it shoots great, but mags are picky and need tuned up.

Had a HS that ran like crap til mags tweaked.

Buckmark or Ruger, they just run man. Even dirty.

Hard to beat for the money.

Top Bottom