• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Looking to get a 1911. I have noticed quite a variety available and at different prices. I have a friend who loves his Springfield mil spec, but was curious about reviews on the lower priced ones such as Remington, Rock Island etc. Any input is appreciated. thanks

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a Sprinfield Loaded, and a Colt XSE and a Kimber.

IMHO the best value for your money is the Sprinfield Loaded. It comes pretty well dressed out but leaves some room you can still make it your own. I added a Wilson Combat single piece FLGR to eliminate the two piece set up Springer uses and added Hogue grips and its perfect IMHO.

Out of the three 1911s I own the Springer has the best fit and finish, is by far the most accurate and reliable and has the best warranty and is backed by what is rumored to be some of the best CS in the industry.

All that and it was still the cheapest of the three. :n00b:

Spend a little extra money and get a Springfield. You will be glad you did.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Remington has a big fan club. Not shot one but held and inspected. Not bad. For the same money the Springfield GI in Stainless was the better of the 2 under inspection. As I bought an shot the GI I will say it is for the money, the better of the 2. Not shot the Rem. Rocky's are OK but I understand they are Ammo and Mag sensitive. What is your budget. If you have $800 or so to spend, look into a Springer Range officer or a loaded. JMHO

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have 2, both made by metro arms in the phillipines. They are rock solid with quality magazines. Not so much with the junk mags they come with. Should probably also say that the prices are rising on them, and that they have great fit, finish, and accuracy.

Reuben Cogburn

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Tough to beat Rock Island Armory. Everyone I have had has been outstanding and I would put them up with my Springfields.

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I am thinking I would rather buy a good used Springfield than a lesser model that is new. I am just shopping around now and have noticed prices are inconsistent. I saw some Rock Islands at the gun show for around $500 which I thought was a good price but did not know anything about the quality.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I have a MetroArms American Classic II Government model 5"...mid-to-low $400 price range.

I liked this pistol so much that it is my daily carry. The magazoine that came with it stinks...spend some money on Wilson or McCormick mags.

It has fed and run reliably on everything from expensive 230gr JHP to cheapy Walmart Russian ammo.

The question is, will it hold up to 20k - 30k rounds or more? I do not know but I am more than satisfied with my American Classic II.

came with Novak style rear sights, commander hammer and trigger, Lowered ejection port. Extended safety and slide release. Very accurate right out of the box.

I kept looking at RIA. I am still not impressed by them....however..to be fair..most of the RIAs i have inspected are at gunshows and they feel a bit used. The slide to frame fit is loose and sloppy. But other people like them.

American Handgunner Magazine did an article on "Beer-Budget 1911s" and the American Classic II and the RIAs were the two top.

You will find RIAs everywhere..but wont hardly find the American Classic II by Metroarms..it is worth looking in to.

GONZO!!!

AC45G2_1.jpg

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My budget depends on if you ask me or my wife :):, I have bought off brands before and considered it a total waste of money and should have spent the extra to buy the name brand. I have seen some mil specs used going for the $650 range and that is kinda what I am budgeting for.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I sold my Mil-Spec to my father. It ate anything you could throw at it.... I traded my Colt 1991A1 Compact for it which loved anything with a round-ish nose. Bought a Springfield Loaded at the gun show for $769 and absolutely LOVE the gun. Better fit-n-finish than the Colt and the mil-spec, shoots fantastic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My budget depends on if you ask me or my wife :):, I have bought off brands before and considered it a total waste of money and should have spent the extra to buy the name brand. I have seen some mil specs used going for the $650 range and that is kinda what I am budgeting for.

I just purchased a brand new Springer Gi stainless in .45 ACP out the door for just south of $700. Not sure where you are looking or where you live but $650 used on Mil-spec is robbery.
    Have shot RIA's and will put any new Springer up against any new RIA. I have seen RIA's recently for $480 NIB.
    If your budget is what you state then get a Springer or a Remington. If the money is close, get the Springer. No knock on the Remington fan base. They are good pieces. I just feel the fit and finish on a Springer is top shelf for off the shelf.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    If price is a concern then do what I'm doing, wait a little longer. It's seems like it I lose even more on a gun I don't really care for while wishing I could've bought something else.
    Looked at Remington but don't quite like the feel, looked at Ruger's SR1911, liked the Rem better. Want to look at and handle Sig's 1911 or Taurus PT1911 but Springfield RO or Loaded is what I'm holding out for as of now.

Here's a link that compares several 1911's:
    Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...

Top Bottom