Bersa Thunder or Beretta Cheetah 84 .380?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    This is one of the reasons that I got rid of both my Shield .45 and Ruger SR 1911 .45 (which churchmouse called me out on) is b/c since they weren't going to be a carry gun for me, I wasn't willing to spend 5 times more for running 300 rounds at the range with a .45 instead of my beloved 22LR since I enjoy it as much as anything.
    I completely understand this. I'm a huge fan of 357, and got out of 45 (well, I wasn't really THAT deep into it) because I couldn't justify two pricey calibers when it made more sense (to me) to concentrate on one. The wheel guns won this minor battle.

My younger brother had (past-tense) a Sig 238 in 380 that he thought was the bomb. While it was a nifty looking little package that was easily pocket carried, I never warmed up to that gun. Even with 380 being a more mild round than 9mm, that little 238 was hard for me to keep from being jumpy... my long spidery fingers could never quite get the right grip on it, and I didn't enjoy shooting it at all. Boy did he talk up the benefits of 380 to me 'til he was winded, but I could never buy into it. Good on others if it's a round they are partial to, but the cost of it over 9mm for what I considered a ballistically weaker round made it impossible for me to give it a any sort of serious consideration.

As for 22LR, especially now that it's easily acquired again, dang if it's not a TON of affordable fun. I have a little Ruger SR22 that I bought (I think) the second year they were out. Mine has the threaded barrel option. If you haven't given the SR22 a look, it's worth at least holding one. I like that it's hammer-fired (as is the case with the rest of my smallish collection), so if it doesn't go "bang" the first time, another squeeze of the trigger normally sets it off on the rare occasion this happens.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Used models noted at the 1500...

Bersa 84 double stack nickel, $230
    Bersa Thunder Plus, $400
    CZ 83 in .380, $329
    Used Beretta 84 (2) $500-$550.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I've had both, carried both and shot the snot out of both. I currently own three Bersa Thunder .380's and one Bersa Thunder .22. I no longer own the Beretta 84.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Here's the thing... what purpose or niche are you looking to fill with either of these? I know I've asked this before (usually with others it is a good question), and I hesitate to ask it of the OP because he doesn't seem to think in this way, but if can you answer that question, it might help you decide... or not. Hence my original post, I can't think of a reason "I" would buy either of them. It's not a direct knock on either gun. To paraphrase Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory: "It's not that you don't do what you do well, it's just that what you do is not worth doing." is kind of my thought on both of these... but that's me.

This is an excellent point, and basically what I was thinking. Why either? I bought the Bersa Thunder for training purposes for new shooters. Very accurate, reliable, low recoil and fun to shoot. Also it was really cheap, so if it breaks I'm not out that much. I never plan to use it for self defense and I can reload .380 for less money than any other round. If you were planning on carrying or putting it up for sale later, then Beretta. I prefer 9mm for SD myself, but I also believe there is a place for .380.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can't think of a reason to buy either one :ingo:

Yep, beretta. They make a quality weapon.

Do yourself a favor and Google "bersa thunder problems". Write down the number of different threads on various forums with this topic.

Then do the same for the beretta.

You will answer your own question quickly.

Just fyi....9mm ammo is much cheaper than 380. Just sayin' :)

C M, I know you aren't bashing. I'm not either. I did do the searches mentioned above.
    Beretta score:1 problem thread
    Bersa score: multiple pages of problems threads

As a buyer, that tells me all I need to know. I dont buy to have issues. Regardless of brand.

Never handled the Beretta. So can't speak of it other than to say Beretta has a long standing reputation for quality...and you pay for that quality.

Now, I bought a Bersa Thunder duo-tone probably about 12yrs ago. I bought it mostly for my wife because she shot and really like a Sig that's similar but was out of my price range. Back then I gave like $210 out the door for the gun, and was buying ammo for it at like $8.00/box. When it was new we burned through a metric crap ton of ammo without any problems. Overall it has been a good gun, but certainly there are better available.
    We still occasionally take it out and shoot it. It's accurate, and easy to shoot. But reality is the .380 round even with good ammo is a little on the puny side compared to a 9mm.

I don't own anything in 9mm but last time I compared prices it was cheaper to buy 9mm ammo. So I would say if you just gotta have the next buy...look for a 9mm and save a few bucks on ammo

This was my original thought as well, but brands aside, it's more because of the caliber. OP, I've seen numerous posts from you indicating your thriftiness and thrill for the best deal. So I have to ask... when you take the firearm out of your equation, why spend more on 380 ammo when 9mm is nearly the same size, much more economical to shoot, and is a more effective round? :dunno: I've found over the long haul (and this may be the missing part for your equation, it seems you don't keep anything very long) that feeding a firearm costs more than the firearm itself.

Sorry if this seems like I'm poking at you, I don't mean it that way at all.

And I refuse to numerically align my paragraphs. Hitting the <enter> key a couple times is faster, and thusly more economical. There, I said it. Hahh!

I completely understand this. I'm a huge fan of 357, and got out of 45 (well, I wasn't really THAT deep into it) because I couldn't justify two pricey calibers when it made more sense (to me) to concentrate on one. The wheel guns won this minor battle.

My younger brother had (past-tense) a Sig 238 in 380 that he thought was the bomb. While it was a nifty looking little package that was easily pocket carried, I never warmed up to that gun. Even with 380 being a more mild round than 9mm, that little 238 was hard for me to keep from being jumpy... my long spidery fingers could never quite get the right grip on it, and I didn't enjoy shooting it at all. Boy did he talk up the benefits of 380 to me 'til he was winded, but I could never buy into it. Good on others if it's a round they are partial to, but the cost of it over 9mm for what I considered a ballistically weaker round made it impossible for me to give it a any sort of serious consideration.

As for 22LR, especially now that it's easily acquired again, dang if it's not a TON of affordable fun. I have a little Ruger SR22 that I bought (I think) the second year they were out. Mine has the threaded barrel option. If you haven't given the SR22 a look, it's worth at least holding one. I like that it's hammer-fired (as is the case with the rest of my smallish collection), so if it doesn't go "bang" the first time, another squeeze of the trigger normally sets it off on the rare occasion this happens.

1. Appreciate your reflections!
    2. I almost bought a Ruger SR22 when someone here had one for sale for $225, but after research, I passed on it and its Walther cousin and bought the S/W M/P compact 22, which is awesome to me in comparison to others.
    3. Having shot the Ruger SR22 as a range rental along with a half-dozen of my 22s in addition to my Smith Compact, it didn't have anything over on what I had, or I would have pursued one.
    4. Since then, I've bought a few more different flavors of 22s, like the GSG 1911-22 with $500 up upgrades from ZR Tactical, the RIA 1911-22, the Smith and Wesson 22A-1, Bersa Thunder 22, Taurus Tracker 990, the Beretta Neos and others, so I'll never get around to the Ruger SR22 again.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Years ago I bought a Bersa Thunder 380. It was as reliable and fun to shoot as anything I've ever owned. Unfortunately it was from the generation of Bersas that tended to have disconnector spring failures. I never saw it happen, but it was well known that the disconnector spring could fail and when it failed, the only way to shoot the gun was to turn it sideways (i.e., shoot it "gangsta style"). I didn't feel comfortable carrying a gun with a commonly-known failure mode like that (no preventative fix from the factory), so I sold it. I've recently bought a new Bersa that supposedly has a minor design change (thicker spring?) to avoid the disconnector problem, but I swear it doesn't shoot as well as the old one did.

I also have a Beretta 84F.. It shoots better than either Bersa on its best day. It also has no magazine disconnect, which many (all?) of the current production Cheetahs have. In the old days, Beretta made some with the mag disconnect and some without. On the minus side, it's an open-top Beretta so the ejection pattern is a bit more gun->range barrier->me than other 380s I've shot, but if you don't shoot at indoor ranges, that might not bother you all that much. It doesn't bother me a whole lot.

I would endorse the Beretta over the Bersa, as long as the price and options (e.g., magazine disconnect or lack thereof) are otherwise acceptable.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I predict you'll buy both, then promptly sell them within 2 months. If it were my money I'd just buy a Glock 42 and call it a day. Errr nvm I'd just not buy anything in 380, too expensive for a range gun and not juicy enough for me to trust as a defensive round.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I predict you'll buy both, then promptly sell them within 2 months. If it were my money I'd just buy a Glock 42 and call it a day. Errr nvm I'd just not buy anything in 380, too expensive for a range gun and not juicy enough for me to trust as a defensive round.

1. That sounds like as good a summary as this could be given: thanks for your input!
    2. Attitude right now is: wary of the bursa due to the trigger issue, And while the beautiful stainless steel Beretta, has my attention
    Is too pricey for its intended limit to use with me.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Beretta, no comparison between that and a Bersa.
    If you want to save some money, get a used one. I have a Beretta 85(same as the 84, but 8rds, single stack), it's a Italian Police trade in, 90%+finish, flawless operation. I also have a CZ83(one of the last imports, made in 2015-a rare bird).
    I'd be willing to let you try them, haven't shot them in a while.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I don't understand your position that smaller calibers should cost less. Especially a carefully made work of engineering like a .22 pistol. About the same # of steps and amount of materials to replicate. Marketing costs and shipping are the same. A good quality pistol is a good quality pistol, regardless of caliber.
    That said, I'm with the mouse. Beretta. If you just have to have a .380.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't understand your position that smaller calibers should cost less. Especially a carefully made work of engineering like a .22 pistol. About the same # of steps and amount of materials to replicate. Marketing costs and shipping are the same. A good quality pistol is a good quality pistol, regardless of caliber.
    That said, I'm with the mouse. Beretta. If you just have to have a .380.

I taught my kids handgun with a Cheeta .380 and it was a tack driver. Easy to run but spendy to feed. Once the graduated up to the .45 ACP I let a freind trade me out of it to train his kids. I believe that gun has trained several young people along its path.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Used models noted at the 1500...

Bersa 84 double stack nickel, $230
    Bersa Thunder Plus, $400
    CZ 83 in .380, $329
    Used Beretta 84 (2) $500-$550.

1. Hey, Snorko! Good to "see" you! Hope your next "appt." went well after me before you went to the gun show.
    2. It would be fun to go with someone like yourself to the 1500 who would recognize a good deal and what to stay away from.
    3. I used to go with my best friend (a big hunter) and we always has a blast, but after he moved to Denver, I lost interest (he has some of my guns I sold off that are worth literally 10x what I paid and sold to him for. He actually asked (30 yrs. later) if I wanted to buy some back, but I was a man about it and declined. :laugh:
    4. The double-stack nickel I would have bought on the spot if you permitted. :lmfao:
    5. The CZ would have been an interest since it was recommended.
    6. If the Beretta was stainless/nickel it would have been of interest: I'll not buy a non-stainless (I mostly want it must b/c I think it is drop-dead gorgeous. :ugh:
    Kind of like my affair with the Ruger Sr 1911 stainless. I was fine until I held it in my hand at the Hoosier Armory shop (I really didn't think they'd take my offer of $600 since they had it "jacked-up" to $899 in-store pricing for the unwary (they were really wishing and adding in retail for those 5 extra mags). I knew it was listed online for $700.
    7. Buying at a gun show where there is no history of a gun would not be to my liking, especially since there is only a 1 yr. warranty on the Bersa, and I don't know about the Beretta.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I came close to buying that Bersa 84 but was a good boy. It was nice to see a couple of the CZs, they are great guns. I have a couple in 9mm Mak. And the next show is June 1-3. I'll probably go, though it is a summer show and therefor smaller and in the smaller hall.

Just to mess with you, below are listings from Classic Arms. LEO trade in Beretta 84 for $350 and Md 85 for $399.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-85f-380-acp-7rd-pistol-good-condition

https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-84f-380-acp-13rd-pistol-good-condition

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I taught my kids handgun with a Cheeta .380 and it was a tack driver. Easy to run but spendy to feed. Once the graduated up to the .45 ACP I let a freind trade me out of it to train his kids. I believe that gun has trained several young people along its path.

1. I've noticed the Beretta Target in 22LR and wanted it but it is pricey as well ($930 new at Hoosier Armory), but I'd love to rent it at a range (not many 22LR for rent though).
    2. The Beretta M9-22, M9A1-22, 92FSR cost $400+/1 but I seem to remember that they didn't make the M9 2018 but Umarex made it for them, so I lost interest, but that -does explain the lower price for a Beretta-ish M9-22.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have owned two Beretta 87 Target models. My memory of them was they were very cool looking, very comfortable in the hand, but only average on trigger and accuracy. I do wish I had kept one of them if for only the neat-o factor

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have owned two Beretta 87 Target models. My memory of them was they were very cool looking, very comfortable in the hand, but only average on trigger and accuracy. I do wish I had kept one of them if for only the neat-o factor

My eyes are such that "accuracy" will be blamed on me, anyway! :dunno:
    If I get 5-6 inch grouping at 30', I'm happy, and 12" grouping at 45', I'm thrilled. :laugh:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

That lines up with several of the reviews I’ve come across when I was considering one. Figured if I wanted to play at that price level, the jump to a SW 41 would be worth saving a bit longer.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If I get 5-6 inch grouping at 30', I'm happy, and 12" grouping at 45', I'm thrilled. :laugh:

Have you considered an optic, like a red dot? At least for the pistols that can take one easily.

I haven't gone that route myself yet for pistols, but all of my rifles (except the Henry) will have optics on them just because it’s easier than iron sights.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

We have a Ruger 22/45 Lite. I have a very inexpensive red dot on it. We use it to get new shooters comfortable with a handgun. Kids love it. 25 yards and ringing steel like a drummer. Seldom if ever miss and the smiles are deep and wide. You would be surprised what this does for muscle memory as well.

Top Bottom