• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gerard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I have the 92fs inox, love it and have had no problem. Has anyone replaced the recoil spring rod with a metal one, the original is plastic. It works fine , just wondering how it went for someone who replaced it

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have the 92fs inox, love it and have had no problem. Has anyone replaced the recoil spring rod with a metal one, the original is plastic. It works fine , just wondering how it went for someone who replaced it

There is absolutely no need to replace it. IMO it is an improvement over the original steel guide rods. They were 2-piece assemblies, held together w/ a roll pin. They didn't break often but when they did they could really jam things up.

If you feel you need to replace it for the very, very miniscule recoil control benefit from the heavier rod go ahead. The factory steel guide rods are still quite reliable (I personally have not broken one in several hundreds of thousands of rounds through 92s, but I caught one just before it failed). And there are some aftermarket offerings of one-piece rods. You can search over on berettaforum.net for references there. I think Wolff Gunsprings has one as does a guy named Bedaire (sp?). You can get factory guide rods from brownells.

I have had a wolf spring chew up a plastic guide rod in just a hundred rounds or so. Sometimes wolff doesn't clip their springs well and they can be bent in. However, I also had that happen with a steel guide rod, and it jammed the gun up and gouged the finish off the rod.

-rvb

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    There is absolutely no need to replace it. IMO it is an improvement over the original steel guide rods. They were 2-piece assemblies, held together w/ a roll pin. They didn't break often but when they did they could really jam things up.

If you feel you need to replace it for the very, very miniscule recoil control benefit from the heavier rod go ahead. The factory steel guide rods are still quite reliable (I personally have not broken one in several hundreds of thousands of rounds through 92s, but I caught one just before it failed). And there are some aftermarket offerings of one-piece rods. You can search over on berettaforum.net for references there. I think Wolff Gunsprings has one as does a guy named Bedaire (sp?). You can get factory guide rods from brownells.

I have had a wolf spring chew up a plastic guide rod in just a hundred rounds or so. Sometimes wolff doesn't clip their springs well and they can be bent in. However, I also had that happen with a steel guide rod, and it jammed the gun up and gouged the finish off the rod.

-rvb

+1 on that the metal guide doesnt offer any real advantage unless you just like the look of it.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    the plastic guide rod is one of a few upgrades beretta has made. the triggers, left safty switch and lanyard are also plastic now.

Top Bottom