• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Evertson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Nemo
    Somewhere in my travel the rear sight fell out my Beretta 92. Ive ordered a couple of aftermarket and the dovetail is always to wide. I want to replace the sights understanding the original weren't the best, how ever I did qualified for my CC without the sight but either way I want to make it whole, with an iron sight or optics. No one , including Beretta has a solution . Someone has to have the same scenario. The gun in in excellent shape and one of my favorite. I recently retires and moved to the country and have room to have a range . Appreciate any advice
    Mike

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Can you get the dovetail dimensions with a micrometer? Wilson Combat makes a few sights for Berettas…. Maybe one of theirs will fit.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The rear sight on my 92S Italian Beretta measures .226 wide at the base. This gun is 1978 - 1982 vintage. The sight was removed to install a dovetail mount for a red dot sight. A gunsmith had to narrow the part that went into the dovetail for the sight mount. Sorry, I do not want to part with the original rear sight.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Assuming you mean the dovetail in the slide is too wide and the sight is falling out? If that's the case you could peen the base of the sight with a center punch to displace some material and hopefully provide enough tension to hold the sight in place. I stuck my sight in a vice upside down and hit it near the edge (not so close that the punch slips off when you hit it!) inside of all four corners to try and maximize the amount of material displaced into the tight corners of the dovetail. I also put some loctite in there when I installed the sight as an added safeguard. I've had good success with that approach on a Ruger MkII and a P228 that had a sloppy fit.

If I'm misunderstanding and you have the opposite problem where the sight base is too wide to fit into the slide dovetail, you need a file. Preferably a triangular one with a safe side. Take a small amount of material off the angled edge of the sight base at a time, being careful to maintain the angle, until you can drive it into the dovetail. Beveling the leading edge corners just a bit can help with the install.

Mike Evertson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Nemo
    The rear sight on my 92S Italian Beretta measures .226 wide at the base. This gun is 1978 - 1982 vintage. The sight was removed to install a dovetail mount for a red dot sight. A gunsmith had to narrow the part that went into the dovetail for the sight mount. Sorry, I do not want to part with the original rear sight.
    .226 looks like the correct size best I can determine with calipers. Let me know if you change you mind on selling.What red dot did you install

Mike Evertson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Nemo
    Assuming you mean the dovetail in the slide is too wide and the sight is falling out? If that's the case you could peen the base of the sight with a center punch to displace some material and hopefully provide enough tension to hold the sight in place. I stuck my sight in a vice upside down and hit it near the edge (not so close that the punch slips off when you hit it!) inside of all four corners to try and maximize the amount of material displaced into the tight corners of the dovetail. I also put some loctite in there when I installed the sight as an added safeguard. I've had good success with that approach on a Ruger MkII and a P228 that had a sloppy fit.

If I'm misunderstanding and you have the opposite problem where the sight base is too wide to fit into the slide dovetail, you need a file. Preferably a triangular one with a safe side. Take a small amount of material off the angled edge of the sight base at a time, being careful to maintain the angle, until you can drive it into the dovetail. Beveling the leading edge corners just a bit can help with the install.
    Thank you . I will continue to try doing that but the sight I purchased is really hardened

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Mike,
    If you want to go the red dot route, this is the mount that I used.
    Beretta 92 Sight Mount
    In the photo, the piece marked A2 is too wide to go into the dovetail in the slide. My gunsmith put that piece in his mill and narrowed it down to fit the dovetail in the slide. He had to take some off of both sides so that the holes for the mounting screws stayed centered. I would think with a little ingenuity and a sharp fine file this could be done by hand. The only other thing I did was add a very narrow thin piece of stick on rubber across the bottom side (side you are seeing in this picture) closest to the muzzle end to eliminate any movement of the mount.
    A2BerettaRedDotMount.jpg

Top Bottom