• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    When my son was 10 I bought him a Ruger American bolt action for Christmas. Nice stainless model with polymer stock and medium profile threaded barrel. I had to buy the shorter LOP spacer for him. Mounted a Nikon 4-12x scope. I think a bolt action is the best first rifle. Teaches them how to run a bolt and trigger control. If I had it to do over again I'd bought him a nice CZ 457 with that nice Turkish walnut since it would be a rifle he'll keep

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought a .22LR single shot bolt action KSA Crickett .22 LR Youth Rifle for my 11 year old grandson's first firearm....My daughter and son in law got one for my granddaughter and they let me shoot it before I bought one....very nice, shoots great, very accurate and inexpensive...unfortunately, my grandson had zero interest once I got it, so I posted it here....it is absolutely worth considering IMO...

View attachment 270507

View attachment 270508
    I bought a Davey Cricket back in 97 to teach my little ones how to shoot. It had a nice walnut stock, and a rifle bag.
    Now I am using it to train my grandchildren, and grand nephew.
    Looks similar to this one.
    1681867986786.png

I think if I bought one for them now it will be a Savage Rascal.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My 11 yr old son has been asking to take him shooting but I don’t have many things that he would be able to shoot comfortably. Anyone have recommendations on a rifle that would be beginner friendly, .22lr preferably. Thanks in advance.
    Try this site.

We in the Beretta pistol thread buy stuff here all the time.. its a collection of pawn shop that sell used guns online.

A pawn shop in Bedford has a Savage 62 for $99.99.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    When my sons were small I ordered them each a Chipmonk. The blue 22lr one was from Jim Thompson out of Prospect,Oregon.
    20230419_175223.jpg

The stainless bull is my #2's and its in 17hm2. And im sad to say thats a vx3 on top of it. This rifle was built by the second owners, then they sold to Keystone.

20230419_175255.jpg

After hand cocking those rifle a few thousand times, in todays world I would by a self cocker.
    I recall the blued is a deluxe checkered walnut at 169.00
    And two years later the stainless was 189.00 or 199.00
    My sons gave these both good workouts,
    I can wait for gkids.
    Great little rifles.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I learned the hard way that a Semi auto can be the wrong starter. In the beginning, you want your boy to concentrate on safety, aiming, trigger control, etc. It was hard to keep him from emptying the magazine every time he shouldered the rifle. (without hitting anything). I wanted to hand him one bullet at a time but that is cumbersome with a semi auto.

For that reason, A bolt action would be my pick if I had to do it all again.
    The fix is multiple mags loaded 1 round each.
    Or in the case of the 10/22 a single shot adapter.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The CZ Scout is built for small people and a good choice.

The Ruger American youth compact previously referenced is a great choice as well. Our 4H club has several. It comes with good peep sights, the rear is easily removed for scope. In today's world, the typical 11 year old can safely work the bolt from sandbags or bipod on a bench. Stock inserts are available from Ruger as kid grows or better fit for scopes.
    Your kid will quickly outgrow the smaller single shots.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and these are nice for lightening the rifle to make it more manageable for kids. It reduces the front end weight TREMENDOUSLY.

My 13YO's rifle has had this for years. Nobody wants to remove it because its so light and easy to carry. LOL If I need to grab a 10/22 that isnt my tricked out rifle I always grab that one.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I started my son out with a Savage Rascal since he is very small for his age. He will either get my Marlin Model 60SS or a repeater of his choice when he can handle them.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    A ruger 10/22, like others have said buy a single shot magazines, or only load 1 round, if the stocks too big (which it will be) buy a Blackhawk axiom, it’s a ar15 style collapsible stock.

Why a 10/22 you ask? Because it can grow with the child, a chipmunk or rascal is good for a little while, once he’s outgrown it, it’ll sit in the corner, and he’ll need a bigger gun, the 10/22 will have a longer life span than the “beginner rifles”, plus with the plethora of upgrades and options that can be added later (stock, barrels, triggers and more) it makes the gun a viable option if he ever want to compete with it, (nrl or steel challenge) and it’s an easy gun to repair if anything ever goes bad, and with rugers customer service, you can’t beat that (I had a 30 year old 10/22 that started having light strikes, I called them and they asked if I wanted to send it in for repair or if I wanted to fix it myself, and they sent me the parts free of charge!)

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Oh, and these are nice for lightening the rifle to make it more manageable for kids. It reduces the front end weight TREMENDOUSLY.

My 13YO's rifle has had this for years. Nobody wants to remove it because its so light and easy to carry. LOL If I need to grab a 10/22 that isnt my tricked out rifle I always grab that one.
    I use an axiom stock on my 10-22 for steel shooting. Adjustable, lightweight and inexpensive as far as aftermarket stocks go

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I started my son out with a Savage Rascal since he is very small for his age. He will either get my Marlin Model 60SS or a repeater of his choice when he can handle them.
    Money well spent with my opinion, the thought of starting out my sons with shooting an adult rifle just doesent work in my family. My Thing 1's walnut, blue Chipmonk with irons weights half of a wood, iron standard 10-22.
    Mine didnt need a bench or bags to support their rifles.
    They both could easily support there Chipmonks.
    Birch 10-22 = 5lbs
    Walnut Chipmonk = 2.6 lbs.

In 1968 my father bought his sons a new Annie Match Mod 52, he took it in his shop and cut a few inches off of it and reattched the buttplate. A few years later he filled it back in.
    How hard was that to do....
    My brothers, my sons and myself shot this rifle through HS. Its had a hard life as on can see. The wrist is broken for the second time. Next time im up north, Mr Penrod and I are going to discuss putting her in a more modern ambi stock.

20230420_132257.jpg

20230420_132354.jpg

Top Bottom