• ...and so much more!
  • zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    My wife has decided she wants to get a better camera to take pictures of our kids at their sporting events beyond just using our phones or traditional click and shoot digital cameras

Anyone with decent recommendations? Bonus points for recommendations that would be available to barter

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    for outdoor sports, any kit from Nikon or canon witha 70-300 zoom will work. BUT if your thinking indoor sports, thats a whole 'nother world. for that you will 2.8 or 1.8 glass, along with a body that produces good high ISO images.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Keep in mind as well that the trend is moving away from DSLR to mirrorless. Nikon again is a good choice but you didn't mention budget.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

They've got a whole lot of information, and good information at that.

FWIW, I picked up a Fujifilm X series and it renewed my love of photography. If you're not looking to use Photoshop or similar, Fuji has all the others beat when it comes to jpeg straight from the camera.

And for me, I'm not at the age where I have to hold things away from my face to read them, so having a good eyepiece is essential in a camera.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Sony mirrorless for me. Outdoor and indoor competitions. Ended up spending $$ on the lens (Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM 2nd gen) and have been quite happy with the results. Both the body (a6600) and the lens have image stabilization which is great since I don’t typically roll with a mono/tripod.

Many manufacturers are moving away from DSLR, as mentioned. Mirrorless with an eyepiece just means your looking at a small screen instead of the bigger screen on the back.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Looking for something as inexpensive as possible to see if she is even interested. Just want better action shots than what the iPhone 13 is giving her.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Secondhand Canon and Nikon DSLRs are everywhere.
    @MindfulMan may have some good suggestions.

There are always great deals in the second-hand market. For the largest selection of accessories (like Glock), I'd look towards Canon, or Nikon.
    Honestly, unless she gets serious, a quality phone camera works well. To quote a famed German photographer, "a good portrait happens at opposing ends of the camera".
    In other words, the equipment is not nearly important as the ability to 'see' !

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I still use my canon rebel xti.

That said I was looking at a Nikon when I got my rebel back in 04 or 05.

There was a sale on the rebel.

Top Bottom