• techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    P 22 is a good gun but get her a 38

I took my wife out for the first time and started her on a .38 since everyone seems to think that is a good idea. I am lucky she loved me enough to continue after the first two shots. The noise, flame, and recoil were enough to ruin her on shooting forever.

Luckily we were at a range with rentals and they had a P22. She really liked it and now will do some shooting with a 38 but likes shooting the P22. Starting with a .38 in her case was a huge, huge mistake.

Be careful, go slow.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!

So today we went to a local gun shop and got some hands on with a P22.

It actually seems to be a well built little gun. It fit her hand great and felt really good to her and myself. I was actually really impressed with it and she seemed to like it alot.

Although we did not come home with that one we were able to come home and find one on the internet in a color combo that she liked and "she" made the decision to purchase it!

Here's a pic of the color combo she picked out.

P22.jpg

A BIG thanks to all of you INGO'ers for all of your help! :ingo:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    If you are using it for SD make sure to ALWAYS use CCI MiniMags. Those are the only things that I have found work somewhat reliably in mine. You also need to be careful not to let it gum up... use some Remoil and dry afterwards for lube.

It is my least favorite gun (and was my first). It is very difficult to shoot well because of the heavy sloppy trigger and the sights. If she is getting discouraged at the range, let her try a Ruger .22 or something. I always feel better after shooting something else so I am reminded its not me, its the gun.

My wife almost got a PK380 but went with the P99 after comparing the triggers. The PK380 has the exact same trigger as my P22.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Thanks for your input guys!

Even though I will take your advice on using the better ammo,

Do you think the problems you are having with these would possibly benefit from having a gunsmith "work" the ramp a little bit?

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Sorry, I shouldn't have been so negative...

On the positive note, its probably the funnest .22 to shoot. As long as you are plinking and not worried about tight groups and bullseyes.

Be sure you always wear a hat and a shirt that is not loose around your neck... it WILL throw brass everywhere. I got one of the few "experimental" hooked extractors that Walther made after a guy on rimfirecentral started making some for himself and friends and hundreds of people demanded them. In fact, they still swore they never did it... but I called and asked for a new extractor 3 times until I got one. It helped for a while, but after a few hundred rounds its back to its old ways.

You can buff up the ramp yourself, I wouldn't bother paying someone to do it. Do a Google search for the P22 Bible, lots of good stuff in it. There are a lot of mods you can perform to help fix it up. Polishing the feed ramp didn't do much for me.

The only 2 types of ammo mine will feed are MiniMags and Remington Golden Bullets. The Golden Bullets are not reliable enough for SD (too many duds) but great for practice because they are really cheap. Using these types of ammo and only using Remoil spray (no gun oil) and wiping it down so it dries were the best things for mine. Doing those things make it fairly reliable... I mostly get frustrated by my inability to shoot it well.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Don't get the LCP.

Its a good little gun, but the recoil on that thing isn't something that most women I know, even women shooters, would put up with.

I would go ahead with the pink P22. Polish & radius the trigger bar ears, feed ramp, and hammer as per the P22 bible, then load it up with stingers or Aguila Super Maximums.

That will give you a compact gun with adequate penetration that your wife will actually want, and be able to shoot.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Thanks, that p22 bible is very helpful!

I plan on atleast smoothing the ramp alittle and going from there.

For target practice does anybody know if the remington 36g CJHP would work without too many problems?

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Agreed on the LCP... I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil, but that thing just makes my hands hurt after 20 rounds. Not like pain in the wrist from regular recoil, but like hand numbness like you used a jackhammer for hours without gloves.

For target practice I would just get the Remington Golden Bullets bulk pack. You can get 550 at Wal-Mart for about $24. Stay away from Remington Thunderbolts... they are terrible. Back in college we had to use them at the gun club and about 5-10% of them were duds and they leaded up barrels really bad. You figure I was using them from a gun club that went through a lot, so I didn't just get a bad batch. Federal bulk is great, but doesn't work in my P22 at all.

92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    Along with the advice to put one in your hand and see how it feels, realize that the P22 comes with 2 removeable/replaceable backstraps of different sizes. So, if you pick it up and it doesn't feel good just realize that you are only feeling 1 of 2 possible ways it may feel.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Thanks for your input guys!

Even though I will take your advice on using the better ammo,

Do you think the problems you are having with these would possibly benefit from having a gunsmith "work" the ramp a little bit?

Mine just required a good cleaning and lube after purchase and then it has ran good on cheap bulk ammo. I don't think they are as finicky as some claim they are.

JimK66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Walther P22 22lr

I've had a little Walther P22 for a few years and have shot the heck out of that fun little pistol. It's fairly reliable and like so many of the guy's the minute our wives get their hands on it it becomes their gun. ha ha:): My wife is small 5', 105lb and likes shooting it because it fits her small hands and has practically no recoil ++++. She wont shoot any of my larger caliber handguns except for my new Sig P238 380 and surprisingly it's recoil is minimal and less than any 380 I've shot......That is until a fellow at the range the other day invited us shoot his new little Walther 380. I tell ya, it felt almost like the P22 (tad larger) and boy was it sweet with very little recoil (wife even liked it. said it was like her P22).
    The price is right and I think that if your going for s HD weapon and want to stick with 380 you might want to check one of these out. But on the otherhand, if your wanting a loads of fun handgun that's inexpensive to shoot. Go with the 22. Here's a pick of one of my other little Walther 22's (PP22lr)
    WaltherPP.jpg
    Good luck,
    Jim

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    For target practice I would just get the Remington Golden Bullets bulk pack. You can get 550 at Wal-Mart for about $24.

Yep those are the ones I was referring to, they are a jacket hollow point.
    Which I think would help with leading up the barrel, and plus they are only $18.47 at my local wally world!

Unfortunately they didn't have any CCI LR in stock though.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I had the 5 inch version when they first hit the market a few years back.
    My only two complaints are it was a pain to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning. And the "compensator" would get loose after a few mags were shot thru it. So if I were to buy another one, it would be the 3 inch version, minus the compensator. It will still be a pain to take apart and put back together. Just my :twocents:.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    So here it is, we finally got it!:delivery:

100_1671.jpg

I still haven't been able to find any CCI mini mags for it yet though.

Thanks for all your help :ingo:

Top Bottom