• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, lib arts types can't understand risk assessment. But what he said is quite true; it just sounds dumb on the surface.

Every project should account for those unknown unknowns.

It's kinda line when I write a 12 page letter to a client evaluating, in painstaking detail, every nuance of a complex case that is going to trial, including an analysis of the anticipated outcome based upon research about historical cases and my own experience...then I end the letter by saying: "...but you never know what a jury will do, so anything is possible."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, lib arts types can't understand risk assessment. But what he said is quite true; it just sounds dumb on the surface.

That's even supported in research, as long as we define "risk assessment" a certain way. Their ability to assess risk depends on their priorities. It's a risk if it threatens their moral priorities. It's not if it doesn't. But people who don't have that limited temperament assess risks less dependent on moral priorities. For example, "if it will save just one child" is indeed a risk assessment where the one child's benefit is the priority. So that will work on progressives a lot more reliably than non-progressives, where their risk assessment is more focused on goals rather than perception of morality.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That's even supported in research, as long as we define "risk assessment" a certain way. Their ability to assess risk depends on their priorities. It's a risk if it threatens their moral priorities. It's not if it doesn't. But people who don't have that limited temperament assess risks less dependent on moral priorities. For example, "if it will save just one child" is indeed a risk assessment where the one child's benefit is the priority. So that will work on progressives a lot more reliably than non-progressives, where their risk assessment is more focused on goals rather than perception of morality.

I am offended by the equating of liberal arts types with progressives

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Plenty of right-leaning/libertarian writers. You just have to know where to look.

Also, I thankfully did not major in creative writing. What a waste of time THAT would have been.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Well, a liberal arts type might know that Rumsfeld built upon sayings of Cicero and Socrates, which speaks to Rumsfeld's education. Maybe not so much to others.

I saw a quote on "It isn't treason if you win." attributed to a female author post 2000. I know that James Clavell used it in "Shogun" in 1975. But we are in the post-modern age where history begins with the millennium.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My undergrad education was largely liberal arts...and a liberal arts education, at least classically, can be quite useful in helping one to think critically and to effectively communicate and persuade.

I think the divide is somewhere other than the nature of one's post high-school education.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe it was a poor assumption, but it seemed like the type he was talkin about.

Nope.

I was strictly talking a-political; more along the lines of STEM or management types, i.e. the ones who know what a risk register is.

PS - my minor was history, so I'm not necessarily besmirching LA.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    My undergrad education was largely liberal arts...and a liberal arts education, at least classically, can be quite useful in helping one to think critically and to effectively communicate and persuade.

I think the divide is somewhere other than the nature of one's post high-school education.

There was a really good play/movie about a classical education curriculum in an English school. The History Boys. I thought it was a great movie but may be a little too "liberal" for some. We seem to have lost most of the vestiges of a classic education in the era of 'teaching to the test'.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It's kinda line when I write a 12 page letter to a client evaluating, in painstaking detail, every nuance of a complex case that is going to trial, including an analysis of the anticipated outcome based upon research about historical cases and my own experience...then I end the letter by saying: "...but you never know what a jury will do, so anything is possible."

I suppose if you just sent them an email with the conclusion, clients might push back a little on your hourly rate.;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I suppose if you just sent them an email with the conclusion, clients might push back a little on your hourly rate.;)

...and the number of hours it took to write the one-liner.

One of my goals in giving an evaluation is that no matter what happens, something in the letter told them it was possible.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It seemed to me that the context framed by JK’s point wasn’t as much about curriculum as much as it was which side of the political divide such a person was on.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nope.

I was strictly talking a-political; more along the lines of STEM or management types, i.e. the ones who know what a risk register is.

PS - my minor was history, so I'm not necessarily besmirching LA.
    In that case, I stand corrected about what you were talking. And I’m not aware of research which would confirm your point then. And so I would agree with Hough that someone with a liberal arts education should be quite well equipped for critical thinking and risk assessment.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

A good old style liberal arts education is not bad (as long as one can at least do addition) but the recent swing to including majors in things like 'gender studies' etc. is bordering on useless and barely fits as 'education'.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well now that it’s confirmed what he was talking about, I suspect the “divide” is temperament. And maybe to the extent that temperament drives one’s educational interests, maybe there could be something to that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A good old style liberal arts education is not bad (as long as one can at least do addition) but the recent swing to including majors in things like 'gender studies' etc. is bordering on useless and barely fits as 'education'.

Those kinds of classes are designed by activists to create more activists.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom