• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    My gun safe is in the family room which is at one end of the house. Our master bedroom is at the opposite end of the house. In the bedroom I do have a handgun in a safety box and a shotgun hidden in the closet. I would like to put a couple more handguns and a few rifle/shotguns with some ammo in the bedroom. Since we have multiple grandchildren in and out more often my wife says the only way it happens is if we put a small safe in the bedroom.

I have not looked at safes in years so my question is what are some of the best "cheaper" safes. Would prefer a made in USA if possible. I probably do not want anything larger than 24"-30" wide. My main purpose is to keep kids/nosy people away.

Thanks

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    For grandkids safety (I have four) I have a Gun Locker I my bedroom.
    It does the job and is close at hand.
    However I also have an upright rifle/shotgun rack next to the bed, Just like EDC I put a long gun in the rack every night and tuck it away during the day.
    When there are no kids in the house the long gun stays out where I can get it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They're "gun lockers" or "gun containers". There's really nothing safe about those small handgun vaults - lots of them can be opened with a magnet or solid strike of the palm in the correct spot.I

Of course it sounds like you're asking about a larger container - those are more resistant to kids.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I use Homak locking gun cabinets. They're light weight, reasonably secure from young'ins, and can even be secured to the wall or floor. Don't be fooled by gun "safes". 30 minutes and an angle grinder will defeat most.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    The Winchester safe they sell at TSC is $449 I think. Its a key pad operation takes 3 seconds. More than a cabinet somewhat less than a safe. I have had one for years and been very happy with it

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    My gun safe is in the family room which is at one end of the house. Our master bedroom is at the opposite end of the house. In the bedroom I do have a handgun in a safety box and a shotgun hidden in the closet. I would like to put a couple more handguns and a few rifle/shotguns with some ammo in the bedroom. Since we have multiple grandchildren in and out more often my wife says the only way it happens is if we put a small safe in the bedroom.

I have not looked at safes in years so my question is what are some of the best "cheaper" safes. Would prefer a made in USA if possible. I probably do not want anything larger than 24"-30" wide. My main purpose is to keep kids/nosy people away.

Thanks
    To be clear, you aren't looking for a "safe" but rather a lockable box or cabinet that is cosmetic and not child/nosey relative accessible. Correct? So a long, skinny, lockable box that fits behind the bedroom door will work for you?

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice folks. I really think a gun "cabinet" vs gun "safe" would be fine. It really is just to keep the kids/nosy family away. I just feel that I need something at the bedroom end of the house for convenience.

And I am sure whatever I get will have to pass the "decor" test.

I have been looking at Black Friday ads, but I am not seeing much so far.

Thanks, again.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    @westside bengal, I'll +1 for the Winchester from Tractor Supply, and Stack-On from most big box retailers. I'd also add Sports Afield safes (on the floor at Menards and Dunham's) to your list of considerations. None of these are going to stop a determined thief with time on their hands, but they are constructed well and are more than sufficient to protect curious kids and prevent smash and grabbers from gaining entry. All can be found for sub-$500, and all have models that fit your size/space criteria. If you're hell-bent on a USA sticker, check out Liberty safes.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I want to thank everyone for the advice. I bought a safe....maybe too much of a safe. I am going to start another thread since I have other questions. Thanks again.

Top Bottom