• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Does it matter that they are designated .223 and not 5.56? Just curious since they are technically not the same round and 5.56 operates at higher pressures.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Maybe I am just a little out of it, but I am confused why there is such a demand for BCGs right now... Even if AR's some how become banned, BCGs will still be able to be purchased...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A lot have partially assembled AR projects and the Bolt Carrier Group supply has been dried up for a while. Thanks for posting the link.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yep, they're gone. The only dimensional difference between the .223 and 5.56 is a little radius at the shoulder, not enough to cause any difficulty loading either one into the other's chamber. Therefore the bolt is identical. The bolt carrier will be the same even for different calibers. The issue differentiating the two is the higher pressure of the 5.56, which is addressed with the chamber. The bolt is irrelevant to that.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yep, they're gone. The only dimensional difference between the .223 and 5.56 is a little radius at the shoulder, not enough to cause any difficulty loading either one into the other's chamber. Therefore the bolt is identical. The bolt carrier will be the same even for different calibers. The issue differentiating the two is the higher pressure of the 5.56, which is addressed with the chamber. The bolt is irrelevant to that.

Ceramic coated is still in stock, amazingly enough.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Wow, the reviews on the AR-Stoner BCG's are pretty terrible given total review count to negative review count. I read on another forum that several reviews had been "removed" as well. While I have no experience with them or their product it's probably worth noting they seem to be hit and miss based on reviews.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm sure if there was a dimensional problem it has been fixed by now. AR-Stoner is Midway USA's house brand so you can be sure they'll stand behind the product. I went ahead and ordered one; we'll see how it goes.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Dont know if its always the same manufacturer or not, but the one I just got in the mail today was made by SMI...Signature Manufacturing.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just got mine and if it runs as good as it looks I'l be happy. Everything except the firing pin is Ni-Bo plated and I don't see any flaws at all. Hell, even the cotter key is plated. The coating is uniform and everything has a fine bead blast finish. The decal on the bag does say SMI just like aclark said.

20130319_130020%5B1%5D.jpg

EDIT: And here it is from the source. Even the number on the tag matches.

http://www.smiarms.com/smi-products/smi-bolt-group/smi-bcg-complete-assembly-223-nickle-boron.html

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, silly question, but I've never had a full AR. I'm looking at doing one with a dedicated .22LR upper. Does that need a different BCG or does the dedicated upper have a way of striking the rimfire primer with a centerfire firing pin?

Note that I said, "silly question", not "dumb question". The only dumb question is, "Is it loaded?", and that only because they all are. *nod*

Blessings,
    Bill

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    The only flaw in this BCG that I can see its the poorly staked gas key, although its really now worse than my DD BCG. Cycled the bolt on a few rounds, the first 2 failed to feed, but the other 28 cycled fine. Granted I wasn't firing it, just pulling the charging handle.

Top Bottom