• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I was thinking about getting a battery powered bike and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on what to look at. It would mainly be for street riding but I like the Quiet Kat ones that they use for hunting.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I built mine for street and light trail use off a kit from Amazon. Drove it to work and back today 20 miles each way. It goes sketchy fast and has a range of 60 miles on the lower pedal assist modes.
    I'd love to see pics and more details if you have the time and wouldn't mind sharing. I've been considering something similar as well. I haven't decided between bicycle or motorcycle yet.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Ebikeling 1200w rear wheel kit is what I used, and a cheaper bike off FB marketplace.
    LWR_Recording.png

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have a Lectric XP Lite. My detailed initial feedback is here (I am not the OP of this thread; I use the same username there that I use here):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I bought a Specialized Turbo Vado a couple of years ago. I love it. It hauls my phat ass nicely. I bought it so that I could get some exercise without causing too much joint pain. And it's good for that. It's pedal assist only so I can't "cheat". I probably have > 1500 miles on it now. Kinda pricey though. Bought it with the first stimulus check. So I'll have to write a letter to thank my future great great grand kids for buying me that.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    My wife and I have "Juiced RipCurrent S ebikes. Rear 750w hub motor, disk brakes, torque sensor and cadence assist. Top speed 28-30mph. Front shocks, 26x4 fat tires.

Pics are from a Florida trip (Topsail Preserve SP near Destin) Miles of sandy trails. The bikes are FUN! I'm 235lbs and I can go as fast as I dare. I would imagine these would run well on forest service roads. It is a big bike (65lbs) and might be tough on extreme single track. It's not going to run hard like motocross dirt bike.

I bought them online after doing a bit of research. I actually transport them on a front hitch dirt bike carrier. Too heavy for a regular trunk or hitch mount bike rack.

Check 'em out - Juiced Bikes. somewhere in California.

Edit: I added the Kinect Seat post and Bikearoo saddle. Pretty comfy and absorbing. The plastic ammo box has some tools, etc. Lots of Youtubes on the Ripcurrent S. The new 2022 models have a 1000watt rear hub motor. The range really depends on how much you "assist" you use. I think Juiced talks about "70 miles" as the range. I could probably do that on roads with a little assist. This model has one of the bigger batteries so the range feature was important to me.

Attachments

• JuicedRipCurrent S.jpg
      JuicedRipCurrent S.jpg
      886.4 KB · Views: 20
    • JuicedRipCurrent S Pic.jpg
      JuicedRipCurrent S Pic.jpg
      794.7 KB · Views: 20
    Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I have a Lectric XP Lite. My detailed initial feedback is here (I am not the OP of this thread; I use the same username there that I use here):

Thanks for the link to your great review, TB ! (it's on page 2, if anyone is looking).
    I was considering this very model, myself. You've given me plenty to think about. :thumbsup:

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My wife would kill me if I came home with an electric bike LOL. She's one of them sports nuts. Runs 6 miles a day etc etc ......
    :postpics:

Seriously, I bet there is somewhat of a minor workout involved in electric biking? I know that I can certainly feel that I've done something, after spending a few hours on the motorcycle.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Seriously, I bet there is somewhat of a minor workout involved in electric biking? I know that I can certainly feel that I've done something, after spending a few hours on the motorcycle.

Yeah, there is. I don't have the knees for biking, so if it weren't for the e-bike I couldn't do it. I have to peddle mine, but the assist is good enough that it's not too much strain on the joints.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My sons house is off grid with solar panels, recently upgraded with more panels and producing more energy than he can ever use. So he is preparing to build a e bike, no electric bill and be able to ride to work everyday weather permitting. I'm getting interested in finding a cheap kit also.....with gas prices going up only makes sense. I have seen some really nice ones, direct driveshaft and pull a small trailer. On and off road but man $4k is too much for me.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348

The more I researched electric bikes I see they would be helpful for your health. I really like the XP Lite since it is only on speed and doesn't have all the BS on it

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Weren’t these called mopeds back in the day? So these new ones should be called MopedEV.
    In my limited understanding, there are 3 classes of eBikes:
    1) pedal-assist (electric only to help you pedal) up to 25 MPH
    2) pedal-assist up to 28 MPH
    3) non-assist (the bike can move itself) limited to 28 MPH

All are limited to 750 watts to be classified as a bicycle. Above that, it appears they are a "motor driven cycle" much like the Moped you mention. Would then require title, registration, and an operators license with a motorcycle add-on. Guessing this is because they can exceed 28 MPH, which appears to be an arbitrary cut-off for non-human-powered vehicles.

I was serving on a DNR advisory board when the legislation was passed on eBikes. At the time, they were becoming quite the nuisance. Folks were not following cycling rules OR motor-driven rules, and running them wide open anywhere they wanted. Mowed down a few pedestrians on the Monon, as I recall. The legislature decided to clear up a few things.

Personally, I think the pedal-assist are a great way to get more folks active and outdoors. The full-electrics are simply motor vehicles.

Top Bottom