• blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Try here....

223 Ammo

bestpriceammo.com Still got wolf brass and steel in stock at good prices. Picked up 500 rounds of Polyformance this morning. (burned through a little birthday money)

Crap. Almost all of that Wolf brass and steel are gone! That 500 round 1/2 case I ordered this morning is now "out of stock" as well.

I'll keep an eye on the shelves at Academy Sports, Walmart and Rural King. Let's hope the .233 shelves don't go bare again.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I hope people stop being idiots and panic buying again

QFT

As soon as this news broke, all the idiots on ARFcom were buying and reporting inventory.

Don't remember seeing anyone talking about taking action. How can this possibly help?

What they don't realize is, once all the current stock is gone, it will be easier to ban since the ATF won't have to worry about retailers being stuck with stock. Idiots and only hurting the situation.

localone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    NW Indiana
    There's plent at Unitednationsammo.com. By They had 34 cases of m588 last night at 9 pm by 11 they were all gone but still have plenty of 223 for under $400 a case

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Agreed. But, somehow in 1986 it was classified as AP ammo, then later exempted due to there being no prevalence of handguns that would accept it. So, it has been banned all along -- the BATF has just overlooked it and exempted it from the law. Now they are simply removing the exemption, which does not require an act of Congress. That's why the only way to undo this is through Congress, as the original law must either be amended or repealed.

I agree that the congresscritters need to be contacted. But I disagree that this is the only way to go. Agencies change the way they classify things every day. Congressmen are more likely to put pressure on the ATF if it is in their interest to do so, than they are to go to the trouble of writing new legislation.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I agree with the point made in the article that this move at this time appears to be purely political. Why ban now after decades of sales and use of this particular ammunition? Where is the data that supports the need to ban? I can't find anything that shows an uptick in shootings involving AR pistols using M855.

The only data the BATF presents to justify such a move is that a majority of firearm related crimes are committed with handguns and since the AR pistol is classified as a handgun then by default there is a greater likelihood it can be used in a crime and specifically used in conjunction with M855 ammunition to defeat soft body armor worn by Law Enforcement.

They claim, based on their convoluted assertion of probability of a greater POTENTIAL threat that it justifies banning the ammunition.

In rebuttal using their line of thought for justification I would submit that any kind of data would vastly show civilian use of M855 ammunition has a far greater probability of punching holes in paper.

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I agree that the congresscritters need to be contacted. But I disagree that this is the only way to go. Agencies change the way they classify things every day. Congressmen are more likely to put pressure on the ATF if it is in their interest to do so, than they are to go to the trouble of writing new legislation.

The thing is that the way it reads, the comment period for stopping this ended in December 2012. The current comment period is only to solicit ideas on how to best implement the ban.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I agree with the point made in the article that this move at this time appears to be purely political. Why ban now after decades of sales and use of this particular ammunition? Where is the data that supports the need to ban? I can't find anything that shows an uptick in shootings involving AR pistols using M855.

The only data the BATF presents to justify such a move is that a majority of firearm related crimes are committed with handguns and since the AR pistol is classified as a handgun then by default there is a greater likelihood it can be used in a crime and specifically used to defeat soft body armor worn by Law Enforcement in conjunction with M855 ammunition.

They claim, based on their convoluted assertion of probability of a greater POTENTIAL threat that it justifies banning the ammunition.

In rebuttal using their line of thought for justification I would submit that any kind of data would vastly show civilian use of M855 ammunition has a far greater probability of punching holes in paper.

Exactly, it's not like AR pistols haven't been around for years.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The thing is that the way it reads, the comment period for stopping this ended in December 2012. The current comment period is only to solicit ideas on how to best implement the ban.
    Does'nt make sense. Why would they open a comment period to solicit ideas on how best to implement a ban? Who are they trying to solicit? Certainly not those who oppose the ban.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

We can still talk to Congress.
    While ATF receives direction from the President, them being in the executive branch, they receive their funding from Congress.

Top Bottom