• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Over at the CMP forums, they get awfully excited about "barreled receivers".

Is a barreled receiver simply an old receiver with a barrel, or a receiver with a barrel...being sold with a bunch of other old receivers with barrels...in a big barrel?

What exactly is a
    "barreled receiver," and should I be similarly aroused by them?

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Karl hit it on the head. It is an old reciever that has a new barrel. They usually get aroused as many of these are headspaced and ready to go (all you need is a trigger group, stock etc, and even then, some recievers have the trigger packs already).

Those CMP guys are nut cases in regards to having a "new rifle" but with "original" parts. It is the closest thing to having an all original rifle fresh of the factory floor.

I get excited whenever I see UNbarreled recievers, particularly Mauser actions. I want to build another .257 Roberts like my dad did when I was a kid.:) Having no barrel saves a few sheckles for barrel removal and lets the gunsmith get right to work on installing/headspacing the new barrel.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Walter-

The only "hard" part to assembling M1 Garands is putting the barrel on the reciever and headspacing it. It takes special guages and tools to do it correctly.

Therefore if you have a bbl/rec you can pretty much assemble the rest of the rifle in about 2 minutes by hand without tools.

As a long time CMP "nut case" I to chase the unobtainable hidden parts, rifles and bring home objects in the dark corner of a WWII GI's sons/grandsons/Greatgrandsons basement.

At one time I was up to 18 m1 Garands. I am down to three very collectable ones now including an all original Indiana Home Grown (Evansville) International Harvester Garand.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Walter-

As a long time CMP "nut case"

:D

Some of them are really crazy about getting all the parts right. I just wouldnt have the patience for it (but that patience separates me from being a shooter and a shooter/collector/afficienado :) ).

I have an almost complete Smith Triple Lock .44 that I have been trying to get running with all Smith parts. I am almost to the point of breaking down and just getting some repro or handmade parts for it now...

Now an IHC gun, neato! Its funny to think what companies made arms instead of their normal products during the war... I still want a 1911 made by a typewriter company...:D

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    :D

Some of them are really crazy about getting all the parts right. I just wouldnt have the patience for it (but that patience separates me from being a shooter and a shooter/collector/afficienado :) ).

I have an almost complete Smith Triple Lock .44 that I have been trying to get running with all Smith parts. I am almost to the point of breaking down and just getting some repro or handmade parts for it now...

Now an IHC gun, neato! Its funny to think what companies made arms instead of their normal products during the war... I still want a 1911 made by a typewriter company...:D

I have that also!!!! 1943 Remington-Rand 1911A1.... Im WWII ate up.

Top Bottom