• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I drive a semi and I've started my "walk home bag" in case i ever have to.
    so far it includes 2 sets of tiger stripe BDUs, 2 new pair of wool socks, 2 sets of polypro and an extra set of lighter polypro long johns. 5 bic lighters. 8 nail style tent pegs, 50 feet of para cord, an 8 1/2' square tarp, a plumbers alcohol stove from a quart paint can, 2 bottles of gasoline dryer(alcohol), folding slingshot and steel ammo in two sizes. i always have a flashlight on the truck( rechargeable stinger) and a leatherman wave and my benchmade folder and sharpening kit. if the collapse appears imminent I'll start taking a rimfire and ammo but thats a chance I can't take w/o cause because the penalty would deprive my family of chow. I have minor 1st aid. (bandaids, neosporin, benedryl, ibuprofen). maxpedition med size bag and a shoulder bag. any suggestions? i'm new at this.:patriot:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Hell, I'm sure you've got plenty of time to think while you're out on the road. How far ya traveling anyways? Since you've got that time to think, just start thinking - OMFG EMP just hit and I'm x miles from home. What do I do. Maybe it would be going to a friends place before heading home. Think the whole thing through like you're reading a book. Write down what you need on a paper.

Some very important things that I would want knowing I may have to walk a ways home:
    water filter
    mountain house meals
    mess kit
    get a flashlight that takes batteries in case recharge isn't an option
    sleeping bag
    good/great hiking boots
    beef up your first aid kit. It doesn't have to be big to have what you need - there are others here that could help you much more with this than I
    map (though you probably already have) and compass

Look at the BOB thread in this subforum, it should give you plenty of ideas. It may be overwhelming at first. I know when I got interested I would look at pictures of BOBs on the interwebz and think "whats the point I will never have one that nice", but slowly build it up and you will have a bag you are proud of and trust.;)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I too drive OTR. I generally don't keep a specific bag in my truck, but I always have everything I could need in it. The big question here is, do you own your truck or drive for a company? The bag you have seems quite adequate, but I just wonder about the gun thing. There is NO LAW anywhere preventing us from having a firearm in our truck, if you want to confirm this, call OOIDA at 800-444-5791. I own my truck and lease to a carrier that has a no gun policy, but they will never have any reason to know about it unless I have to use it. In the case that I may need it, I would rather have it and return home to my family alive, then I'll worry about finding another carrier to lease to. As long as you adhere to any local and state laws where you may be, you're all good having a gun in the truck. A couple great resources are Handgunlaw.us and OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! . Additionally, once you are parked and in your sleeper berth/off duty, the sleeper becomes legally your "home" and having the gun at your side is not a problem. Hope this helps!!! I have struggled with this for a while and done VAST amounts of research in regards, if you want any more info, links, advice, or resources just PM me. BTW, I keep my CX4 .40 and either my SP101 .357 or my XD.40SC in my truck at nearly all times. When you go to Cali or NY or Boston, you will want to make certain the gun you keep is legal to have there. And remember, the DOT/Comm. vehicle inspectors can look into your sleeper, but without a warrant or your consent, they cannot open anything, look under anything or in any other way molest the contents.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Depending

Depending on exactly how SHTF: folding shovel, small bow saw, hatchet. Essentially stuff to clear away obstructions. You may be in a situation where driving even ten more miles could make a big difference.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Nice start on the bag.
    My only suggestions:
    - trade the tiger stripe BDUs (screams combatant or tacti-cool) for some durable, weather-proof regular clothes
    - leave out the slingshot (no conceivable use except killing birds)
    - add hiking boots (probably not what you'd wear while driving)

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    Be careful with getting more bag then you can carry. If this is really just a "get home bag" then you can and probably should stay with a smaller bag. If this is a "bug out bag" my feeling is you've kissed your house goodbye and you better take all you can to live in the new world, thus a full backpack, Moleback (black).

As mentioned, tone the cloths down, nothing military or cammo. Makes you look like some kind of militia nut. You want to blend in. I've got black sweat pants and a blue hoodie in my bag. I'd also make sure my bag didn't look military or have cammo. Just a black duffle or a black bag with sholder straps.

Add some cash. I've stuck in $50 in $1 and another $50 in 5's and 10's. I've also stuck in about $5 in quaters. All of this in case you find a vending machine or something and you're not ready to break the glass to get into it. You might also have to give a kid $5.00 to tell you which way to go.

Also I added one of the those glass break hammers... like you keep in your car to shatter the window if you get trapped. You might really need to break INTO something.

A small tube siphon. Never know when you might need to "borrow" some gas.

A hand crank radio of some kind. You'll need something for news and short wave and these battery driven or hand crank or solar radio's are great... even for a get home bag. I prefer the Kaito Voyager radio (beprepared.com $44.95)

Also an "emergeny blanket", about $3.00 at beprepared.com

Propel water flavor packets. You can get them at any grocery but I can't describe them well.. so here's their website Propel Enhanced Water

Maybe a light weight backpacking poncho or rain suit which can be used in rain or snow.

A small stainless flask (from Walmart) of whiskey. I don't drink the stuff but who knows if I'm hurt or need to "buy" someone off.

Your tire thumper... if no gun it's better then nothing..

I would skip the stove and food and just go with different granola and power bars. No cooking needed.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    A petzl headlamp is much more versatile than a flashlight you have to hold.
    A decent pair of leather gloves.
    Map with back road routes marked back to your AO.
    Some quick no cook food for energy when you bonk, like powerbars.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I don't think theres anything wrong with the tiger stripe BDU's. If theres yahoos runnin amok stealing, killing, and causing a fuss I doubt he's gonna be strolling down the middle of the road whistlin. Probably be doing his best to stay away from population centers and travel at night if he can.
    Why would you even care at that point whether folks thought you were "a militia nut" they'd probably give you a wider berth and think twice before they messed with you.
    I would have some kinda H2O purifier along.
    Either way, to the original poster, I'm glad you finally started one, Brother!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Small vs. Big bag

I went with a big duffel bag crammed with a variety of items. One of the things inside is a fanny pack that can unfold into a backpack. My thought is that it would be hard to predict where I would need to walk home from, so that it would be better to take a larger selection of gear and then just big what I want to put in the backpack if I need to go on foot. That way I am set for situations where I am trapped with the car, like a blizzard, flood or major bridge out. If I am trapped with the car I have a boatload of gear with me. If I need to walk, then I can pick things that are appropriate for the journey depending on the time of year, the type of crisis and the terrain that I need to cover.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    DO NOT DO THIS. There is under NO circumstances to EVER be ANY alcohol of any sort in a truck, not even in the side box or the trailer unless it is on a bill of lading.

OT- Seriously? I'm an engineer, not an OTR driver but I'm still surprised. If, once you park, you're off-duty and the berth is you home... you can't have a beer? Just like an RV (home) and not a car (open container/driver.)

Just curious...

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    OT- Seriously? I'm an engineer, not an OTR driver but I'm still surprised. If, once you park, you're off-duty and the berth is you home... you can't have a beer? Just like an RV (home) and not a car
    Nope, no alcohol ever in any part of a Commercial vehicle unless it is in the cargo compartment and accompanied by a bill of lading. The legal BAC for people with a CDL is .04 in any vehicle also not the .08 you guys get. My FMCSR is in the truck and I'm at home right now or I'd site the actual codes, but feel free to call OOIDA (Owner Operator Independent Driver Assoc.) for confirmation. They are actually just about the ONLY group out there that fights for us and really has a great legal department. They take congress to task quite frequently and even smoked the state of IN in court back in the '80s. The number is 800-444-5791.

Also, parking is not the determining factor for being "off duty", "off duty" is a line on our log books and there is also another line for "sleeper berth". If you are in the sleeper, you better not be logged "off duty", but either one means that you are not driving and thus on "your" time. Feel free to go outside the truck and have a drink, but don't have the keys in your possession when you get back in unless it has been more than 4 hours since you last consumed. We drivers have more enforcement agencies regulating us and up our azzes at any given moment than ANY other person in ANY other industry. In fact, my security clearance took more than 6 months to acquire and is the highest of any other civilian due to the military and gov. contracts we have. I hauled and installed a lot of the computer equip. to the NSA building in Falls Church VA 2 years ago, the stuff that listens in on all of our communications both telephone and electronic.........

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    OK, I hope he would know that, but not something someone out side of trucking would know about...
    You would actually be surprised. There are a LOT of newer drivers that go through CDL mills or company provided training that really don't know the things they should. Heck, I went through a very reputable 16 week training course after driving for a few years and have driven several years since and I still don't even know how to put my chains on! Most training programs are 4-6 weeks BTW and "graduates" still don't even know how to properly shift.

Last edited:

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If/when you’re in a situation you would use a GHB, your feet will be your friends. When I was backpacking in my younger days my biggest equipment expense was my hiking boots. Invest in good boots and several pairs of good backpacking socks too. Have some socks on your feet, some washed and drying on the outside of your pack and some clean, dry and ready for service and change them often.

Learn how to take care of blisters. Also learn how to take care of ‘hot spots’ on your feet before they become blisters. Trying to tough out the blisters till the end of the day will get you in trouble. Infected blisters can be deadly in a SHTF situation.

Wool or synthetic outer socks and polypropylene inner socks are a very good idea. :yesway: I used ‘Wigwam’ polypro socks when I worked construction and they lasted 4 to 5 times longer than the ones I got at Wal-Mart

Your biggest luxury will be a light pack but you can always make it lighter along the way, if you have to.

Bucky

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I didn't see it mentioned so I'll add this.

Maps. If your a ways from home and SHTF you may not want to be traveling close to interstates. A good atlas will show you better and probably faster ways to take on foot. Also give you an idea of areas you might want to avoid.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    good ideas

I've been driving for 13 yrs now and the alcohol I knew about. the gun deal I'm completely surprised by. I spend a lot of time in NY state and Chicago so I might have to go with the folding stock on a 10/22. I'll have to check on the legality of that too, I guess. I'm in a company truck so I go by their rules til things show signs of falling apart.
    as for the slingshot being useless except for birds, he's not been practicing. I could kill him at 20 paces if he's facing the other way and unsuspecting. I've killed squirrels with it.

I like the idea of the plumbers stove because I can purify water on it and hot tea or some soup is a real pick me up on a cold day. even dehydrated knorr tastes good if you're cold and hungry. the BDU's are durable escape and evasion wear and I always have street clothes in the truck. I should probably hide a polypro hat and a camo cover in there somewhere too. I wear durable boots, though I'm due for a new pair. and wool hiking socks are about all I've worn for several years now. army life cured me of ignoring my feet. I can't walk on my hands so my tootsies get taken care of.
    I figure the tarp and a garbage bag or two will do for wet weather although a poncho is probably a good Idea.
    i always have a recent atlas in the truck so a map is available. I'd probably pick a route and a back-up and just write them down and ziplock them.
    leather gloves are part of the truck kit I always have.
    I really should have some no cook chow on board that isn't canned soup, so power bars and minute rice , maybe some GORP and granola go on the add list.
    has anyone tried to get that water purification powder that PUR has developed for third world type situations? I think I read about it in pop sci not long ago. works on truly foul water. including fouled with feces.

I've priced petzl head lights and I'll take the $12 energizer with 1 red and three white led's. I'm having a hard time wearing out the one I've got in my deer hunting bag. some triple A batteries too.
    I think we're making progress. Y'all are makin me think and justify.:yesway:

Top Bottom