• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Can someone tell me what the regulations are for building a range on your property, not actually for the range itself but for shooting on your property. I have been looking to maybe buy a different house and been looking at houses with some acres to them.

Is there a certain amount of acres you need to have? Do you have to be a certain distance from any other houses? Do you have to be a certain distance from any schools?

If anybody has any idea of any regulations there might be or know where I can find this info it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ed

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I'm not positive if it's the same everywhere, but in my area you just have to live outside of the city limits and make sure the rounds don't leave your property after you fire them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can someone tell me what the regulations are for building a range on your property, not actually for the range itself but for shooting on your property. I have been looking to maybe buy a different house and been looking at houses with some acres to them.

Is there a certain amount of acres you need to have? Do you have to be a certain distance from any other houses? Do you have to be a certain distance from any schools?

If anybody has any idea of any regulations there might be or know where I can find this info it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ed

Just make certain to use Chicago as your backstop. You'll be fine. They won't be able to tell the difference.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    You will have to check with the county the property is in. Now whether the person you ask KNOWS the laws you're asking about is another thing. Prosecuting attorney and DNR I would think are your best bet for info. Just my :twocents:.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    You will have to check with the county the property is in. Now whether the person you ask KNOWS the laws you're asking about is another thing. Prosecuting attorney and DNR I would think are your best bet for info. Just my :twocents:.

Thanks I will check with the county if/when I find a property I like.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I dont believe anyone really has any regulations on property type and berm construction, but common sense applies here.

Make sure there is no ordance about discharging firearms
    Make your berm big enough so if a round skips off the ground and into the berm at an upward angle that it cannot continue moving after striking the berm.
    be 100 percent sure that its IMPOSSIBLE for ANY round to leave your property.
    position your berm so that if a round DOES get shot over the berm that there is NOTHING in its path. No houses, no barns, no roads, no trails.

when in doubt think of it like this. If you owned the adjacent property either next to, diagonal from, or downrange of the proposed range, would you feel comforitable letting your kids play in those outside areas. If the answer is no, then you probably dont have a good location for a range.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Thanks
    Ed

Since you live in Lake County you have to abide by the county ordinances. You must be OUTSIDE of a city/town. Basically if you have more than 1 acre you are fine, but I'd caution that 1 acre is pretty small and you'll be shooting very close to your house (and acre is only 206' by 206') and you'll be pissing off your neighbors too. If you have 1 acre or more and are in a HOA then your HOA will have jurisdiction, my HOA allows shooting. If you have less than 1 acre then you are in violation of the county code. Bear in mind that if you have more than 1 acre and are inside of a platted subdivision that has some lots that are 1 acre or less then you cannot shoot on your property even if your lot is 20 or even 100 acres. Therefore you are best off to be EITHER outside of any subdivision that has 1 acre lots, or if you are inside a subdivision make sure that all lots are larger than 1 acre and that there are no rules in the subdivision against shooting.

I'd recommend you look for a 5 or 10 acre lot to give yourself a bit of room. Most 5 acre parcels are roughly 200 by 1000. 10 acre lots are typically 400 by 1000.

Noise ordinances kick in at 10pm, so your neighbors can complain after 10.

The actual ordinance that PASSED was 1314B, it was PASSED on August 11th of 2009.

The passed and signed ordinance actually reads:
    "That the Lake County Council now prohibits the discharge of a firearm for the sole purpose of target shooting or practice shooting within 200 feet of the property lines of a platted, approved and developed multi-lot subdivision of one acre lots or less, as defined in the Lake County Code."​

NOTE that this ONLY applies to lots in subdivisions and only requires 1 acre. If you are OUTSIDE of a platted subdivision -- OR -- if you are inside a subdivision but have greater than 1 acre, then this does not apply to you. Note also that there is no requirement for a backstop (however if you don't have one & your bullets go into your neighbor's property then you are liable in a civil court!!!). Also be aware that this ordinance specifically "repeals and replaces" Ordinance No. 1312A.

It should also be noted that if you live on land ADJACENT TO A PLATTED SUBDIVISION that it could be interpreted that you cannot shoot within 200' of the property line of the subdivision if that subidivison has even 1 property that contains only 1 acre of land. That said, if you own a 5 acre lot outside of the subdivision and you lot is only 200' wide then it might make it impossible for you to shoot on your property even if you are outside of the subdivision.

Last edited:

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Since you live in Lake County you have to abide by the county ordinances. You must be OUTSIDE of a city/town. Basically if you have more than 1 acre you are fine, but I'd caution that 1 acre is pretty small and you'll be shooting very close to your house (and acre is only 206' by 206') and you'll be pissing off your neighbors too. If you have 1 acre or more and are in a HOA then your HOA will have jurisdiction, my HOA allows shooting. If you have less than 1 acre then you are in violation of the county code. Bear in mind that if you have more than 1 acre and are inside of a platted subdivision that has some lots that are 1 acre or less then you cannot shoot on your property even if your lot is 20 or even 100 acres. Therefore you are best off to be EITHER outside of any subdivision that has 1 acre lots, or if you are inside a subdivision make sure that all lots are larger than 1 acre and that there are no rules in the subdivision against shooting.

I'd recommend you look for a 5 or 10 acre lot to give yourself a bit of room. Most 5 acre parcels are roughly 200 by 1000. 10 acre lots are typically 400 by 1000.

Noise ordinances kick in at 10pm, so your neighbors can complain after 10.

The actual ordinance that PASSED was 1314B, it was PASSED on August 11th of 2009.

The passed and signed ordinance actually reads:
    "That the Lake County Council now prohibits the discharge of a firearm for the sole purpose of target shooting or practice shooting within 200 feet of the property lines of a platted, approved and developed multi-lot subdivision of one acre lots or less, as defined in the Lake County Code."​

NOTE that this ONLY applies to lots in subdivisions and only requires 1 acre. If you are OUTSIDE of a platted subdivision -- OR -- if you are inside a subdivision but have greater than 1 acre, then this does not apply to you. Note also that there is no requirement for a backstop (however if you don't have one & your bullets go into your neighbor's property then you are liable in a civil court!!!). Also be aware that this ordinance specifically "repeals and replaces" Ordinance No. 1312A.

It should also be noted that if you live on land ADJACENT TO A PLATTED SUBDIVISION that it could be interpreted that you cannot shoot within 200' of the property line of the subdivision if that subidivison has even 1 property that contains only 1 acre of land. That said, if you own a 5 acre lot outside of the subdivision and you lot is only 200' wide then it might make it impossible for you to shoot on your property even if you are outside of the subdivision.

Thanks for that info. I am looking for property thats atleast 5 acres. Everything else I will have to look into if I find property I am actually interested in.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom