• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Here I am again asking another homeowner question:)

I'm doing a kitchen redo which involved removing a tile backsplash which of course tore up the drywall to some degree, see pics.

I suck at drywall work so I'm hiring this aspect out. So far I have one guying saying it's fine to repair and skim coat it. Another guy says if it was his house he'd cut it out and put in new.

However one wall is an exterior which has a vapor barrier. The guy saying to replace the drywall says there is nothing to worry about regarding the vapor barrier and that it's not even required anymore in new construction. I believe the vapor barrier isn't doing much cause they didn't seal it around the outlets, plumbing, and it stops when it hits the bulk head. It seems odd to me that the replace guy will just leave the barrier cut up from removing the drywall.

We will be putting in new cabinets and backsplash just not sure which guy to hire or if it really matters.

What you you all do? Thanks:)

vcuzwi.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'd replace it and I'd repair/upgrade the vapor barrier. Don't know about the "Not needed anymore", at least down here in Morgan County the inspector wanted to see it before we went any further. I haven't seen any houses being built without it but don't make it a habit of inspecting houses.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We will be putting in new cabinets and backsplash just not sure which guy to hire or if it really matters.

What you you all do? Thanks:)
    You're going to cover over it? Skim coat it.

You're going to leave it exposed? Skim coat it.

:)

If you're pulling out those cabinets, i.e. more will be exposed than what is shown, then you might want to replace the drywall and repair the vapor barrier. This would be you're time to add insulation, move wires, etc.

Drywall is much cheaper than labor.
    However one wall is an exterior which has a vapor barrier. The guy saying to replace the drywall says there is nothing to worry about regarding the vapor barrier and that it's not even required anymore in new construction. I believe the vapor barrier isn't doing much cause they didn't seal it around the outlets, plumbing, and it stops when it hits the bulk head. It seems odd to me that the replace guy will just leave the barrier cut up from removing the drywall.

You're not doing new construction, so ignore that comment. You're working with what you have, and a vapor barrier is essential because of how your house is constructed; even if it's got holes.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    You're going to cover over it? Skim coat it.

You're going to leave it exposed? Skim coat it.

:)

If you're pulling out those cabinets, i.e. more will be exposed than what is shown, then you might want to replace the drywall and repair the vapor barrier. This would be you're time to add insulation, move wires, etc.

Drywall is much cheaper than labor.

You're not doing new construction, so ignore that comment. You're working with what you have, and a vapor barrier is essential because of how your house is constructed; even if it's got holes.

I agree with this ^^^^^

Even if you cut out the drywall and replace a piece, you're still going to have a flat seam all the way around the new piece to tape and mud, and that would require almost as much work as skim-coating the rough spots that you've got now.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Thanks for the replies. As usual there is more than one way to skin a cat. For this cat I'm going with the keeping the current board in place. Scrape off as much of the loose paper as possible, prime with zinsser gardz, mud, prime, & install new backsplash.

Top Bottom