• ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Clicky

Avon - Police are investigating a homicide in the 700 block of Abundance Lane in the Harvest Ridge subdivision. Officers say a resident on his way to work found the victim lying in his driveway next to his car. The victim had been shot and was pronounced dead at the scene.
    Avon police are calling it a homicide investigation, although they did not find a weapon at the scene. They have not identified the victim, but they say he lived at the address with his mother.
    A neighbor reported hearing a gun shot at around 5:30 am.

Avon used to be a good place to live!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Holy FREAKING CRAP - and people call me crazy for always being on my toes; even in Avon. Truth is, crime can happen anywhere this is the exact reason I never sleep well at night - my family is far too important to me.

Hope the find the meaning to all of this, I can't see Avon being a place for random homicide.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Holy FREAKING CRAP - and people call me crazy for always being on my toes; even in Avon. Truth is, crime can happen anywhere this is the exact reason I never sleep well at night - my family is far too important to me.

Hope the find the meaning to all of this, I can't see Avon being a place for random homicide.

No kidding!! Harvest Ridge is a nicer neighborhood too!

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    And I just got my offer accepted on a house in Avon. Thought it was better than where i was, but I guess no where is safe anymore. At least i will have a house not an apartment, so i can do my own security.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    RARELY is anyone just randomly gunned down....especially as they stand in their own driveway.

Because I'm cynical...I wonder what sort of things this guy had himself involved in?

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    RARELY is anyone just randomly gunned down....especially as they stand in their own driveway.

Because I'm cynical...I wonder what sort of things this guy had himself involved in?
    I don't think that's cynical. I think it's reality. I forget the exact statistic, but it's something like more than 90% of murder victims have a criminal record.

Watch The First 48; nine times out of ten the murder victim is killed in a drug deal or something related to drug turf or something. I can only remember seeing one or two episodes where the victim was truly an innocent bystander.

The best way to keep from being murdered is to hang out with people who aren't murderers and don't hang out with people who are.

The particular neighborhood where this murder happened is on the other side of Avon from where I live, but the neighborhoods are similar. I'm sure there are gangbangers, or at least wannabes, in my 'hood. I don't wish to be caught in their crossfire and I don't wish to be robbed at gunpoint to supply drug money for their shorty. I don't even walk the dog in the back yard without arming myself.

Call me crazy.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I wonder when the neighbor reported the shot? It sounds like the gun shot was reported after the fact. Had the neighbor reported it right when they heard it this man might have had a chance..

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I wonder when the neighbor reported the shot? It sounds like the gun shot was reported after the fact. Had the neighbor reported it right when they heard it this man might have had a chance..
    Im sure if every gunshot was reported, emergency lines would never be able to handle all the calls. Especially in Indiana. I hear gunshots every night, I never report them.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    That was reasonably close to me, nice area too. Well, the armies of the throne of evil are on the move, but then again, what else is new. The intercity hoods like to go to nicer areas to shop...

This should serve as a lesson to us all: Vigilance and patience. This could have been a shooting where someone was cut off in traffic, then made a scene about it. We dont know. Why? No witness and the shootee is dead. We need to be careful about what we do out in the world and be careful about who is around us. Eyes up, mouths shut is what my father always taught me. Now, I need to go get the tape for the second part of that phrase! :D

We should be aware of not only the evil about us, but also within. I had a soccermom cut me off, then swerve behind me again, honking her horn and getting mad, her KIDS in the back seat. No reason, just someone that she thought would get her rocks off by pissing off. I made no action against her, got into a well visible parking lot and waited. She passed on, but needless to say, it was scary. Even those who seem normal can be out of control. Keep a cool head and carry constantly.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Since when does one homicide mean that Avon is no longer a nice place to live? For that matter, why do so many assume so much based on zero facts? One person is found dead in his driveway and without knowing anything else, people are saying it must be related to illegal drug activity and/or gangs and/or that the "problems of the city are quickly moving into the suburbs."

Murder has never been exclusive to the city nor has it ever been the exclusive territory of drug dealers and gang members. Yes, it may turn out that the man was an evil drug dealing gang banger who was shot with a Tec-9 in a battle over turf, but you cannot know that based on what has been posted here.

What a bunch of chicken-little suburbanites!

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    This subdivision is about 1/4 mile from where I live. It is a very quiet area, but I always carry, even in my back yard. I guess my wife won't think its silly from now on.

Yes murders can happen anywhere, and the Star says in was in an argument with two people in a red van earlier in the week. This is normally a very quiet area and locals are a little shook up because it rarely happens here. I guess we just aren't as tough and hardened to life and death as you, jmb79.

Last edited:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since when does one homicide mean that Avon is no longer a nice place to live? For that matter, why do so many assume so much based on zero facts? One person is found dead in his driveway and without knowing anything else, people are saying it must be related to illegal drug activity and/or gangs and/or that the "problems of the city are quickly moving into the suburbs."

Murder has never been exclusive to the city nor has it ever been the exclusive territory of drug dealers and gang members. Yes, it may turn out that the man was an evil drug dealing gang banger who was shot with a Tec-9 in a battle over turf, but you cannot know that based on what has been posted here.

jmb79 is a mindreader, apparently.

My comments are based on living in the same general area and seeing what goes on around me. I grew up and Hendricks Co and I can tell you that gang graffiti on bridge abutments is a relatively new thing here.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN

I too grew up in Avon. I have seen crime and drugs become more prevelant as you see the city moving out. One guy was found SHOT dead in his driveway. While it is possible that nothing illegal was involved, it is a much greater possibility that there was illegal activity involved.

I never once said that murder was exclusive to the city, but generally speaking (and yes statistics back it up) cities have higher crime rates and suburban areas which have higher crime rates than the rural areas.

You act like we are uninformed....do you know the percentage of Tec-9's actually used in crime.....it is extrordinarily low.

jmb79 is a mindreader, apparently.

My comments are based on living in the same general area and seeing what goes on around me. I grew up and Hendricks Co and I can tell you that gang graffiti on bridge abutments is a relatively new thing here.

I'm with you on this one, it just wasn't here even a few years ago!

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    It's in Avon...a nicer neighborhood. People in nice neighborhoods often have nice things...and wallets full of cash and credit cards. 20 minute drive from the 'hood in Indy...someone ends up with a pocket full of cash...someone ends up dead.

Not all that hard to imagine. There's not much in the 'hood left to steal...no cash carrying neighbors to rob. Time to expand out to bigger and better prospects. Criminals have to eat...so they go where the best victims are.

Be careful out there...it's a dangerous world.

beez1954

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    I just want to put my two cents in here.
    Mike lived about a mile down Broadway Ave. from me and we both worked at the same place in Evansville starting about Jan. '96.

I have never met a brighter guy when it comes to programming NC machines for the Aerospace industry nor have I met a more dedicated son than him.

When the guys were meeting up for a few brews after work Mike was hurrying home to see after his mom, who was delightful in spite of many physical problems.

When he transferred to the Indianapolis plant I was already up here by a few months and was really glad he came up.

When he bought his house I helped him put his attic stairway in and was happy to do it.

He was a gentle person and I will miss him.

Greg

Top Bottom