• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I picked up a used Remington 11-87 police model that appeared to be unfired. Went to the range and got two boxes of 2 3/4 00 Buck (wasn’t familiar with the brand) and it would eject the shell but wouldn’t pick up the next round. I went back into the shop and they swapped out the second box with some Fiocchi 2 3/4 defense rounds. Those wouldn’t even eject. Any thoughts? I heard autoloaders can be picky but I’m relatively new to shotguns and all I can think is maybe I need 3” shells to reliably cycle the gun. It’s rated for both but doesn’t seem to like 2 3/4.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought a 1187 a few years ago pretty cheap that had cycling problems. Turned out the guy had decided to do a full breakdown and hadn't put it back together right.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I had to run about 100 3" shells to get my Ar12 to finally run 2 3/4" shells reliably. It was recommended to do this for break in 20210529_192945.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Clean it, lube it and check the gas system. Not an ammo issue.
    Words of wisdom right here.
    I've seen literally dozens of brand new firearms that had cycling issues until they were thoroughly cleaned.
    The "lubricants" that the guns leave the factory with is more preservative than lubricant.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Buy yourself two gas rings, one to use and one to put in the glovebox of your truck for the next time, and you will be fine...

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Clean it, lube it and check the gas system. Not an ammo issue.
    I’ve been doing quite a bit of research and stumbled across a forum where a guy had posted pics of two barrels; one with the gas compensation system and one without. He went on to say those without the system required hotter loads. I kept searching and found an article saying basically the same thing. “Remington attempted to correct that deficiency in 1987 when it introduced the 11-87. Cosmetically, it looks identical to an 1100, but it has a gas compensating system that enables you to shoot 2 3/4- and 3-inch loads interchangeably. Like a lot of early one-size-fits-all solutions, however, the 11-87 works better with heavy loads. It might not cycle light 2 3/4-inch target loads at all.”

Oddly enough, mine doesn’t have the gas compensation system despite being an 11-87. It’s cleaned and lubed, so I’m just going to buy an assortment of ammo and see what happens. Either way I’ll be ordering all new springs and some spare o-rings. I’m almost positive it was unfired after having disassembled it but it’s old enough that the springs probably need to be replaced regardless.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I’ve been doing quite a bit of research and stumbled across a forum where a guy had posted pics of two barrels; one with the gas compensation system and one without. He went on to say those without the system required hotter loads. I kept searching and found an article saying basically the same thing. “Remington attempted to correct that deficiency in 1987 when it introduced the 11-87. Cosmetically, it looks identical to an 1100, but it has a gas compensating system that enables you to shoot 2 3/4- and 3-inch loads interchangeably. Like a lot of early one-size-fits-all solutions, however, the 11-87 works better with heavy loads. It might not cycle light 2 3/4-inch target loads at all.”

Oddly enough, mine doesn’t have the gas compensation system despite being an 11-87. It’s cleaned and lubed, so I’m just going to buy an assortment of ammo and see what happens. Either way I’ll be ordering all new springs and some spare o-rings. I’m almost positive it was unfired after having disassembled it but it’s old enough that the springs probably need to be replaced regardless.
    Springs wear out with use....so if it's unfired, why replace the springs?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Are you saying those models are known for faulty gas rings?
    I am not saying they are faulty, they are wear item not found in other firearms. When they go bad it isn't something that comes to mind from your experience with any other firearms, but they can and do go bad with age or use so plan ahead...

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Springs wear out with use....so if it's unfired, why replace the springs?
    It’s really just the magazine spring and action spring that I’ll be replacing. I found multiple accounts of FTF on the last couple rounds and the consensus was that the factory spring wasn’t strong enough. Seeing as how it’s a known issue, the spring is under constant tension, and the previous owner may have kept it loaded, I figure it can’t hurt. I doubt the action spring needs replaced but I could be wrong about it being unfired.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    This has been my thought but since no mentioned it, strip it down to the barrel and clean the gas ports. You may have to scrape out the carbon and clean the ports with an ice pic. If the gas can't get through the barrel, it won't cycle.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    You said it's used, so maybe it never had a full clean. Take the trigger group out and clean it too, it may be neglected as well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    1187.....some barrels are pressure compensating. There is a flat spring around the barrel support (exterior). Is that barrel of pressure compensating type and missing the spring?

Note: Not all 1187 barrels were set up w compensation.
    IIRC slug guns were not. They also did clay target rigs not pressure compensated.
    If its a Mag rig and not comp'd.....proly need to run hotter stuff to cycle.

Also, if the gun has been stored, lube/protectant may be gummed on the mag tube (or trigger group). Make sure the magtube is clean. DO NOT OVERLUBE IT.

On 1187 or an 1100, a simple hit w Remoil and wiped off w a papertowel. What invisible remnant, is enough. If its wet its gonna gum up w powder fouling, or if stored gum over time (Remoil doesn't however).

And just to throw it out there.............is it in fact wearing an 1187 barrel?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom