• ...and so much more!
  • Lassiter

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Southern Indiana
    Wanted to pick the collective brains of my fellow INGOers on this one. Looking at picking up an Auto-Ordnance Thompson in the near future and would like opinions on them. What has your experience been? Any advice on tweaks to make it perform the best? Which layout does everyone prefer? Thanks for your time.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I bought one from Copper Custom a few years back. I bought it in the pistol version because I wanted to SBR it. I sucessfully achievedd that after some fancy gunsmithing by Zach @ ZRTS (pistol version is not set up to easily take a Thompson stock)

I love this gun for its looks and it heritage. I have not had any major issues with mine but I do occasionally get a feed failure. But this is a range toy so no biggie.

Really soft shooting because this sucker is HEAVY! Only wish mine was full auto :)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm assuming you are talking about the West Hurley AO 1927. The ones I tinkered with during the 80s had rough feed ramps and polishing helped that. The guns prefer 230 grain round nose ammo with a stout charge of fast burning powder pushing those bullets.

Old FA guns like the same type of ammo and my M1 has never failed to feed or fire using 230 grain cast lead bullets on top of 5 grains of Red Dot.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've had one for several years now and never fired it so can't speak to reliability but it is heavier than hell. I think it's heavier than a Garand. One of these days I'd like to put a correct length barrel on it so it looks a little more authentic.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Had one for several years. Fit and finish was lower than it should have been for the price. It functioned OK with 230g ball ammo if stick mags were "tuned" properly. Drum mag never ran properly. Machining on receiver, barrel, and bolt was subpar. Bluing was also subpar for the price. And there is the excessive weight compared to other platforms.

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    The drums for these are definitely a novelty. And an absolute pain to get into and out of the gun. They can be "ok" as a "cool look at this gun" that's as far as it got for me tho. They are heavy and shoot soft.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The 39 round West Hurley drums leave a lot to be desired, the original 50 round drums work very well, but are very expensive.

Top Bottom