• ...and so much more!
  • NickXD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    SE Indy
    Hello,

I am new so be kind, but am going to Atturbury for the first time Sunday. I know not everyone is a fan, but don't have land to shoot on and girlfriend didn't like Pop's Guns. So want to try an outdoor range, and she wants to hit the outlets while we are there. What do I need to bring? Am pretty new to shooting handguns, have glasses and ear protection, what else do I need? Do I need to buy targets ahead of time? Let me know.

Thanks,
    -Nick

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You'll have a good time. For all the negatives people (including me) have reported about Atterbury, it really is a nice facility.

You'll want to bring anything you'll need to shoot: eyes, ears, gun + ammo, targets, staples/tape/thumbtacks (something with which to attach your targets) plus anything to make your stay more enjoyable (snacks, water, first aid, cleaning supplies, etc.)

The counter has a small amount of supplies, but you're better off bringing your own.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Take extra money they need a deposit before you shoot, allow extra time for the shutdown, If you want to shoot pistol and rifle tell them that ahead of time because they used different parts of the range for the 2

Plug and Muff the roof is brutal on the ears
    Spotting scope or Bino's so you can put many targets up with minimal runs downrange

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can bring your own targets... Or pay for them when you're there.

You're almost guaranteed to pay more for them if you buy them there.

If you don't want to BUY targets...use paper plates. If you have any markers...you can draw your own circle targets on them to aim at. I will, at times, leave the plates blank. I'll use my first hole as my "target" and aim at that.

A staple gun helps, but at least bring a roll of some kind of tape to affix targets to the target backing.

-J-

NickXD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    SE Indy
    Thanks for the replies. Only have one pistol, so will be bringing that and was lucky enough to find some ammo (.45) so have that already as well. So the backings are cardboard I take it, so if I bring paper targets and a staple gun I will be good to go?

Feel free to say hi if anyone else goes there Sunday, will be me and my girlfriend shooting my XD and possibly a friend and his SR9.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Backing are corrugated plastic yard signs, actually. Cardboard doesn't hold up in the rain!

But, you're welcome to place your own cardboard backing in front of their stuff to give you an "even" and usable surface on which to attach your targets.

Sometimes their backings are so chewed up it's difficult to find a place to stick a staple.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Also, pay close attention to the range officers' commands. Atterbury has a lot of fiddly little rules and it's easy to accidentally break one of them, which will probably get you barked at. You can always introduce yourself before approaching the line and mention that you've never been there before and they should help you out.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Also, pay close attention to the range officers' commands. Atterbury has a lot of fiddly little rules and it's easy to accidentally break one of them, which will probably get you barked at. You can always introduce yourself before approaching the line and mention that you've never been there before and they should help you out.

Good idea. Most of the ROs there are pretty cool, but there is on who is a real PITA.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    range

you can search the internet for target downloads that are free then copy them. midway has free target downloads. 2 ro's at the range are dave and phil. pretty good ro,s. just listen to commands you will be fine. when i was there last week i told both of them that they were not as big a pricks as everyone said. they just smiled and thought it alittle funny. treat them fair and you will get the same. think about the job they are doing, dealing with the public all day can be a pain, then you have some people that have no gun handling sense. everyone of us gets aggravated at our own jobs sometimes, the ro's are no different

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Please share your experience with us after you get back. I'd be interested in how it went for you. I agree with the other posts, just make sure you tell them it's your 1st time and they will show you what you need to know. Have a blast!

LOWE1600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    I shot there friday overall it was ok.Yep they have rules but im ok with that, better to be safe.I was shooting a rifle @100 yrd line,kinda pricey but it is a nice place to shoot,like others have said bring your own stuff targets,plugs,or muffs,and safety glasses.

kwalls

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Bargersville
    I get all my targets at FREE TARGETS from TARGETZ.com and just print them off on the computer printer before i go shooting. I was just recently down there at atterbury last week and i spent most of my time at the shotgun range and they were extremely helpful and informative. Happy shooting and don't let your girlfiend spend too much money at the outlets!

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I get all my targets at FREE TARGETS from TARGETZ.com and just print them off on the computer printer before i go shooting. I was just recently down there at atterbury last week and i spent most of my time at the shotgun range and they were extremely helpful and informative. Happy shooting and don't let your girlfiend spend too much money at the outlets!

My first time at the shotgun range they were EXTREMELY helpful! I don't remember the guys name but he came over and helped myself and my friend out since it was out first time shooting skeet (trap was being used by someone else). Neither of us had ever used a skeet/trap setup like they had so he came over to help us out. He even walked us though how a match would go and tossed in an extra token since he shot 4 or 5 of our clays. Great guy and cannot wait to get back, I love shooting trap/skeet!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    you can search the internet for target downloads that are free then copy them. midway has free target downloads. 2 ro's at the range are dave and phil. pretty good ro,s. just listen to commands you will be fine. when i was there last week i told both of them that they were not as big a pricks as everyone said. they just smiled and thought it alittle funny. treat them fair and you will get the same. think about the job they are doing, dealing with the public all day can be a pain, then you have some people that have no gun handling sense. everyone of us gets aggravated at our own jobs sometimes, the ro's are no different

I like many of the targets on this site... MYTARGETS.COM Free Targets That Print In PDF Format

Easy to print off on your color (or b/w) printer at home.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom