• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I am currently filling out an application for a position as a Police Officer. This will be my 6th hiring process that I've gone threw, and 5th dept. that I've applied to. On the application there was an essay question and I was hoping to get some input or advice. So lay it on me, don't hold back any punches, I can take them. (Just keep them PG so the Mods don't shut it down) Any advise or criticism, negative or positive would be greatly appreciated. If you have something to say that you don't want to post for everyone to see just shoot me a PM. Thanks, in advance! :ingo:

The Question...
    [FONT=&quot]You may indicate in the space below and on additional blank sheets, if necessary, such experience, training, or ability that you believe will qualify you for the position for which this application was filed. Describe positions you have held which require leadership or executive ability. Advise what area of law enforcement you would be interested in.[/FONT]

My Response...
    [FONT=&quot]Some would say that considering my age I don’t have enough experience to be a [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]law enforcement officer; but I disagree. I grew up in a pretty bad area of Norfolk, Virginia and went to a high school where I was the minority. As I grew up the part of town that I lived in only got worse and so did the schools in the district. Going to school I was able to witness drugs being sold and used, weapons, gangs, and violence on a daily basis. Just going to school took courage, and then once in school I had to be bold enough to stand up for myself and my morals. Being put in that situation everyday made me want to do something with my life, and be able to make a difference in the community. Once I moved out on my own and away from everything that I knew, I began searching for ways to help out. To start, I volunteered my time to be a good role model and a youth coach for high school students at Park Chapel Christian Church. The next step was to see what being a police officer was all about, so when the opportunity arose I signed up to participate in the Citizen’s Academy at the Greenfield Police Department. I was hoping to get an idea of what I would be getting myself into as an officer, and be able to take everything that I learned and put into practice, to prepare myself. After attending a few ride alongs, and finishing up the Academy I knew for sure that I pursuing the right career. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] On a daily basis, whether at work or not I try to be as courteous and respectful as I can. In both jobs that I’ve held, teamwork has played a vital role in the success of our departments. Even though everyone has their own specific roles, we constantly have to work together in order to complete the task at hand. Knowing that as a police officer you have to be able to rely on those that you work with, it is important to me to be the best team player that I can. I think that even without previous law enforcement or military experience I would be an excellent candidate for the position of police officer. I know that a police officer must be self confident, courageous, and be able to keep personal feelings bottled up, all while maintaining a professional appearance, and that takes a special type of person. As courageous, calm, professional citizen of Greenfield, Indiana I thank you for your time and consideration in this hiring process.[/FONT]

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm not an LEO, but I can tell you that you have set your self up for failure in a way because in your own words you are giving them reasons to doubt you before you even get to the meat of your essay.

I don't know your age, and yes MAYBE they are thinking "this guy is too young" but if they're not thinking that, after reading your opening paragraph, that thought is in their head... "hmmm... i dunno.. some might think he's too young... is he?"

You see my point?

Not trying to be a jerk, trying to be helpful. I like what you have to say overall, but I think you might want to consider a major re-write.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    thatsracist.gif

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The essay is your opportunity to sell yourself and abilities to the dept. Focus on your life experiences and what you have done to prepare yourself to become a police officer. Focus on your strengths. Address your weaknesses by explaining what you have done to correct them. Don't bring up minority, race, anything like that. SELL YOURSELF!!!

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Don't even bring up age. If they want you and you show yourself capable and mature, it won't matter. I worked with a guy that got hired at 20, went through academy, and graduated and then turned 21. Technically you have to be 21 (at least in TX) to be a sworn officer. If it works into the answer, point out how you show initiative and are a self starter. 85% it's on you to go out and make the stops, patrol the beat and be proactive. Good luck and keep trying til you get what you want.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I'm not a LEO but I see nothing in your essay that speaks to your employment other than you saying you've had 2 jobs. What are/were they and what did you do in them to show leadership?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The essay is your opportunity to sell yourself and abilities to the dept. Focus on your life experiences and what you have done to prepare yourself to become a police officer. Focus on your strengths. Address your weaknesses by explaining what you have done to correct them. Don't bring up minority, race, anything like that. SELL YOURSELF!!!

:+1: Very well said! My thoughts exactly
    and good luck

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Minimum age for a LEO is 21, if you're 21 or above then you're not too young, so I'm not sure why they'd think that. +1 on not mentioning race or minority, etc. Just tell them what you bring to the table that the other guys don't.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Thanks, for all the advise guys. Everything that has been posted has been taken into consideration and there have been a lot of good points made. I was trying to sell myself but I guess not well enough. I have heard that whenever answering an interview type question, you should have an example of a real life experience. Is that true? A re-write will be in progress, and I have until March 1st so I have plenty of time. Thanks, again for all the advise.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Take 2

Alright, after taking some advise from y'all on here and doing some studying I thought that I'd give it another try. I tried to sell myself more this time without appearing too cocky or self confident. Let me know if its any better or worse. Thanks, again to everyone for their input. See original post for the question...

[FONT=&quot]Ever since I was a kid I’ve always wanted to be a police officer, but it didn’t really hit me until I was in high school. I grew up and went to school in a pretty rough area of Norfolk, Virginia. On a daily basis in school I witnessed drugs being used and sold, weapons inside the school, and gang violence. Even though I was exposed to everything, I tried to stay away from the trouble and keep on heading down the right path. Now don’t get me wro[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ng, as a teenager I wasn’t perfect[/FONT][FONT=&quot], but with the help from my strict parents I was able to overcome the adversities. As I was going threw school I maintained a part time job, working in a warehouse. I knew that if I wanted to drive and have a vehicle that I would need to make some money of my own, instead of relying on my parents. I started off, as just a general helper, which involved cleaning the warehouse, taking inventory, and shipping small packages. After a few months of working there, I was asked to step up and f[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ill the role of one of the lead[/FONT][FONT=&quot] guys that left. With me having to fill his shoes I was required to learn quickly and be able to pay close attention to detail which I was able to do with no problem. For a while it was just me and my supervisor splitting all the tasks, which included filling orders, making local pickups in a box truck and/or pickup truck, and buildin[/FONT][FONT=&quot]g various electrical components; while still having to do my duties as general helper.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] After working there both full time and part time for a total of 2 years, I moved to Greenfield, Indiana with my wife, and her family. We settled here in Indiana in July of 2007, and shortly after that I started my job where I am currently still employed. I am currently one of four guys that run the shipping and receiving department for Keller Crescent Company. We are a pharmaceutical packaging supplier, and operate a warehouse for Eli Lilly. Being apart of a small department has its difficulties, especially when we’re extremely busy. Luckily for me, I am very goal oriented and a little obsessive compulsive[/FONT][FONT=&quot], which in a way helps keep things organized[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. I think it also extremely important to be able to communicate efficiently, so that we are able to spend less time explaining something and just get right to it. Being goal oriented and a great communicator has helped lead to my success in my department. Knowing that I wanted to ma[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ke law enforcement my career I knew that I needed to see what being a police officer was all about. So as soon as the opportunity presented itself I signed up to participate in the Citizen’s Academy at the Greenfield Police Department. I was hoping to get an idea of what I would be getting myself into as an officer, and be able to take everything that I learned and put into practice, to prepare myself. After attending a few ride alongs, and finishing up the Academy I knew for sure that I pursuing the right career. While out on the ride alongs I was able to witness that as a police officer your job consists of more than just issuing traffic tickets, and getting criminals off the streets. I was able to see community policing in practice. The officer that I rode with helped change somebody’s tire, gave directions to someone that was from out of town, and when he wasn’t busy just drove threw neighborhoods showing their presence, and being friendly to those that were out. I think that even without previous law enforcement or military experience I would be an excellent candidate for the position of police officer. I know that a police officer must be self confident, courageous, and be respectful, all while maintaining a professional appearance, and that takes a special type of person. As a courageous, calm, professional citizen of Greenfield, Indiana I thank you for your time and consideration in this hiring process.[/FONT]

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Alright, after taking some advise from y'all on here and doing some studying I thought that I'd give it another try. I tried to sell myself more this time without appearing too cocky or self confident. Let me know if its any better or worse. Thanks, again to everyone for their input. See original post for the question...

[FONT=&quot]I know that a police officer must be self confident, courageous, and be able to keep personal feelings bottled up, all while maintaining a professional appearance, and that takes a special type of person. As a courageous, calm, professional citizen of Greenfield, Indiana I thank you for your time and consideration in this hiring process.[/FONT]

Replace this with something positive. The first thing that came to my mind when I read this was "This guy will be an emotional time bomb with a gun waiting for a place to go off"

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I wonder how this thread will look to the agency you are testing for? They will most likely be reading this. Just a thought.:twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I tried out for the the Police Department when I got out of the service. I was 27 years old at the time. I had a lot of LE experience, on top of a lot of other training. After the written and physical test. I never heard back from them. I was talking to one guy, and he told me it was his 6th time trying out. Another guy was on his fourth try.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I tried out for the the Police Department when I got out of the service. I was 27 years old at the time. I had a lot of LE experience, on top of a lot of other training. After the written and physical test. I never heard back from them. I was talking to one guy, and he told me it was his 6th time trying out. Another guy was on his fourth try.

I guess some peoples mileage vary on how many times they test. I have applied for four agency's and was hired by three on the first try. Still with two of them to this day. Two were reserve jobs and I didn't make the cut on my first,one was part time paid and the fourth was full time.

Don't let the numbers game beat you. If they are taking app's and testing they are gonna hire someone.

Top Bottom