• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Like most others have stated, Atterbury (or Joe Proctor range.. i guess that's its name..??) is a friendly and safe place to shoot.
    I like the fact that they let you change lanes as well. You just have to tell them in the office that you'd like to move from 50 yds to 100 yds and they'll find you an open lane. So sometimes I'll shoot my pistols and rimfires on the short (25 yd) lanes, then shoot some rimfire and centerfire on 50 & 100 yd lanes.
    There's probably a dozen days a yr when it's really packed, other than that, it's great!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't have kids and have never been to Atterbury Shooting Complex in a group that had kids but I have seen very young kids there with their parents and they were most certainly shooting with their parent's guidance.

If you follow their rules and listen to the RSO then you will have a safe and fun time. They tell you, over the intercom, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON OR NEAR THE BENCH. There is plenty of time to grab a new target to put up on the board down range but if you forget to get it off the table then oh well! Sunglasses, water, targets, etc...it doesn't matter, just wait until next time.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    the last time i went to that range i had my wife and 3 kids with me. i was just going to let my older son shoot his 22 rifle for a bit. no one else was going to shoot. I only had 50 rounds with me so we were not going to be there long. they wanted me to pay for the other 2 kids and my wife just so they could watch. It would have been almost 90 bucks to shoot 50 rounds of 22lr. the guy was being a super (richard) when talking to me. So i left. on the way out the other guy that was working was screaming at a guy on the line because after they were told to step behind the line he grabed his sunglasses off of the table. yes he did do something he shouldnt have.But you can talk to people with respect and not scream at them.
    i Will never go back to that rang again.Now the skeet and trap rang is a different story every time i have been there it was a very pleasent experiance.

This was years ago. things may have changed sence then. Dont know if im willing to find out or not.

Maybe you just dreamed this one night? The current ownership hasn't been there for "years" so, even if you have been to Atterbury, you were there when the management and the facilities were quite different than today.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Last time I was there (December), a lady had a baby in one of those carrying car seat things (I'm not a parent if you can't tell). The wife stayed with the baby in the "clubhouse" and watched out the window. No one seemed to care.

I can agree with some that the range officer was a little harsh, but I did feel safe. There's an outdoor range here in Louisiana with no range officer at all. They have a conservation officer that makes rounds every little bit. You just call "going cold" and others put there guns down. People are messing with their rifles, setting up their rests, etc. and you're down range praying everyone is as intelligent as you are and unloaded their rifle. I think I'd rather be yelled at than shot. I'd really prefer neither, but a man's gotta shoot somewhere.

My brother went to the Jasper Pulaski range up in Northern Indiana like that and they called range cold...they all walked down and changed targets. He took a bit longer htan the other guy there with his kid. My brother was halfway back to his bench and the kid started shooting at the other lane(I'm thinking there were like 6 or 8 lanes and my brother was at one end and they were at the other). Kid was there with their parents. Kid was very young. Don't think dad was paying enough attention.

Yes, I don't mind safety...but I like the open ranges too especially if shooting with kids so they don't get scared by all the other racket of the more popular ranges.

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    Went to Atterbury today and myself and a buddy were about the only ones there for about an hour then a few more people showed up. I don't mind the structure at all. I know it's a pretty safe place to shoot and it's a nice range.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I go to Atterbury with my family often. We don't have any kids though, just adults. Every time I go there is several kids there. Just keep track of them and make sure they have eye and ear protection.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I have only been to that range once myself. I understand they have changed management so take what i say with a grain of salt.

When i went, it had only been open maybe 3 months, at the time it was 6-7 bucks per person, with a 2 hour minimum, but after that it was 2 bucks per person per hour. What I didn't like was the rudeness of the range officer. We got done shooting our salvo before he had called the range cold, started picking up my brass, well behind and to the right of our lane, there was maybe 4 people on that line and nobody next to us. Guy flipped a switch and started screaming at me over the intercom. Okay, I got it so i stopped, he then proceeded to continue scolding me over the intercom for a good 2-3 minutes after I had stopped. So i said screw it, grabbed my gear and we left, haven't been back since. Dont plan too. I much as I shoot, it's cheaper to join a club for a year at <50 dollars and shoot at the club range and events. Now I'm military, I know tight ranges, the rules don't bother me, and i should have waited, however, after I've stopped, I don't need a screaming lecture.

luckydog465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Atterbury is a nice range. I do miss the free days of checking yourself in and staying all day for the cost of "nothing but ammo" but safety has a price too.

Top Bottom