• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    It's been some time ago but I just noticed something interesting. It was winter and we where woke up by an extremely loud boom and then the alarm went off. The alarm is monitored and they came over the intercom immediately. We gathered all the family in a central location and I went to check the perimeter. Looking back I should have let the cops do that. Everything was fine so we told the alarm company all is well and disconnected. This is where it gets strange, I recently noticed that the gutter downspout on the same side of the house had been smashed flat with what looks like a baseball bat. Was it some test to see if there was an alarm, or if someone is home? It's had my brain rolling since I noticed it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's been some time ago but I just noticed something interesting. It was winter and we where woke up by an extremely loud boom and then the alarm went off. The alarm is monitored and they came over the intercom immediately. We gathered all the family in a central location and I went to check the perimeter. Looking back I should have let the cops do that. Everything was fine so we told the alarm company all is well and disconnected. This is where it gets strange, I recently noticed that the gutter downspout on the same side of the house had been smashed flat with what looks like a baseball bat. Was it some test to see if there was an alarm, or if someone is home? It's had my brain rolling since I noticed it.

My gut says it was simply to scare the crap out of you. Probably stupid kids. Though they may have ended up getting more of a scare than they intended when your alarm went off unexpectedly.

Ive had kids fling half full Mt Dew cans at the side of my house and run.

evo2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    indianapolis
    Someone was just messing with you. My car alarm goes off sometimes its the kids trying to break in but when they toych the car it goes off. And yes not going no where near cornfields at night.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    My only concern with someone jacking with me is where I live. I don't live in a neighborhood. I only have 2 neighbors and positive they didn't do it. Someone would have to put in actual effort to do it. Park way down the road run down bash the house and then run off. But anything is possible.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Car thieves would do that with car alarms. They would shake the car until the alarm sounded and run away. Owner would check and reset. After a few times the owner would think the alarm was defective and turn it off to get some sleep. Then they would come back and casually finish stealing the car.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    off topic, in the fall i spend from dusk to around 11 pm in a corn field. standing alone waiting for people to walk by and scare the crap out of them when i start a chain saw. i work in a haunted corn maze, its behind my house. this year is 15th year

ive had stuff stolen out of my car when i was younger. sucks.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If you're convinced it's aliens then STAY OUT OF THE CORNFIELDS!! You never know what kind of weird crap is in there.

1zmyw40.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

So, funny you should mention this. A couple weeks ago, we had our monitored alarm go off at 0430. (Actually, it was 0423.) Our "monitoring" is on a delay, so I have 30 seconds to turn it off before the alarm company gets involved.

When I immediately woke up, my brain was telling me, "This must be a mistake. I need to turn it off before it calls the monitoring company and creates a problem." So, without grabbing my night-stand .40 with WML, I ran downstairs to turn it off. As I'm doing that, it does occur to me, "Wait... what if this isn't a false alarm?" When I reach the panel, it says, "Basement perimeter window breached."

Oh. ****.

Run back upstairs to get my .40, tell wife to have the phone ready (for some reason, I was still convinced it was a mistake) and make sure one of our teen kids wasn't trying to sneak out. (They weren't; they were still asleep.)

Proceed to clear the basement, which really wasn't hard, because both of the windows were completely intact and showed no evidence of being tampered with.

In doing the mental AAR, though, it occurred to me that someone might've been testing the system. We have the alarm company stickers and small signs all around, so it is clear we have a monitored alarm. Externally, there was no indication of anyone messing with the windows, and because of our exterior landscaping, it is very likely there would've been a sign.

Ultimately, this probably was a malfunction or bad signal of some sort. The log says that whatever tripped the sensor was "cleared" the same minute. My disarming of it was a separate entry.

One of life's minor mysteries, but also something to wake me up (pun intended) about how I respond to these kinds of things.

Top Bottom