• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I’m really on the fence as to if this is a big deal or not…

I just picked up a new SAM7SF, and noticed what looks like a void in the receiver. I contacted the store I purchased it from (online), and they said all of them have it/”part of the milling process”. I’ve found a number of pictures of the rifle online that do not have this, so I’m not buying the all of them have it argument.

The thing that sticks out the most for me are the lines extending from each side of the divot. You can feel them with a finger nail, and honestly I expected better.

I contacted Arsenal separately, and they said send it back to them… but the shipping there is on me. So… for those that have put their hands on one before, does this look normal to you?

View attachment 59211

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well that's probably not 100% normal, but it's probably not out of the question either. It's still an AK built in an AK military factory. I personally woudn't worry about it, especially if you plan to shoot it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    kind of hard to see (that finish throws things off) but it looks cracked or the finish gives it that appearance. (iv never seen a receiver crack that way so i truly doubts that's the case but if its just a void it wouldnt bother me these are pretty meaty receivers and there well known to be solid guns

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks for the responses.

If it is just a visual imperfection, I suppose I can just live with it. I am a little surprised that the finish isn't smoother on it, though. Based on all of the details put out about the rifle (5.5 hours of milling....), I had higher hopes.

Arsenal will happily take a look (sent an RMA with shipping to them on my dime), which is probably what I'll end up doing. Hate to do this on a brand-new in the box rifle, and have to pay extra to do it.

I've marked the spots a little better in this photo.

View attachment 59217

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    I have seen the same issue on at least two other Arsenal milled rifles. Purely cosmetic issue, don't waste your money sending it back to Arsenal because they're not going to do anything with it. It's annoying that these issues pop up on Arsenal rifles but remember that these rifles are built in very poor former Soviet states. Their idea of quality vs ours is completely different.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have an Arsenal SAM7 SF as well. Mine was one of the first 1500 in country from the first release a few years ago. Mine does not have a mark that deep but does have some rough and visible machine marks in the receiver cut outs. Also had a SAM pistol for a short while. I don't remember it having a mark like that either. That being said it is in a spot where the receiver transitions from "thin" to thick. In that particular spot in the receiver the metal is going to be thicker than most of the rest of it. A small spot like that I doubt will cause issue

Top Bottom