• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I haven't heard back from the guy, so it's probably all a mute point. Not sure why a person would put a gun up for sale Armslist and not return a message. Even to say it has already been sold.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not sure why a person would put a gun up for sale Armslist and not return a message. Even to say it has already been sold.

Armslist sucks for that. Seems like 9/10 times, I never hear from the person I'm trying to contact, even if I'm willing to pay full asking price.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Be sure to ask the seller, beforehand, if they have any problem issuing a bill of sale and if they will provide you with their driver's license or CC permit.
    :xmad:

It's receipt. Does the cashier at the grocery sotre hand you a bill of sale? No, she give's you a receipt of purchase.

The seller collects a bill of sale for their own records.

:ranton:
    Here's an example of the correct usage:
    In the second story, here is a quote: "Terry was charged with receiving stolen goods, but it was dropped after he showed a judge the receipt from his 2007 purchase."

Do you guys only deal with those who will provide a [STRIKE]BOS[/STRIKE] receipt?
    No, and I never have.

IBATM

MSS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2014
    Westfield
    :xmad:

It's receipt. Does the cashier at the grocery sotre hand you a bill of sale? No, she give's you a receipt of purchase.

The seller collects a bill of sale for their own records.

:ranton:
    Here's an example of the correct usage:

No, and I never have.

IBATM

Not that this is worth arguing, but I'll bite :)

I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement. A bill of sale provides evidence of the legal transfer of ownership of goods, while a receipt may be issued for the transfer of money for purchased, leased or rented goods.

Legal definition of "Bill of Sale":
    A bill of sale is a document that transfers ownership of an asset from a seller to the buyer, a basic agreement for sale of goods, and a sales receipt.
    What is included in a bill of sale form?
    Most bill of sale forms require the following information:

• Amount of consideration paid for the transfer of title and date of purchase.
    • Name and address of Seller
    • Name and address of Buyer
    • Specific information about the asset being transferred from the seller to the buyer.
    • Guarantee from the seller that the item is free from all claims and offsets.
    • Any representations or warranties
    • Signature of the seller(s)
    • Signature of a notary public.

For more in-depth reading, here is the BMV's definition of a "Bill of Sale" as it pertains to the automotive industry. Note how it identifies the benefits to BOTH parties"
    "A bill of sale is a document that records a transaction between two parties. For the seller, a bill of sale shows the date the vehicle was sold and information about the buyer. For the buyer, it gives specific information about the vehicle that can be checked against a Vehicle History Report."

As for a "receipt", the definition is entirely composed in the word itself: the acknowledgement of "receiving" something. There is nothing about either that makes one for the specific use of a seller and the other for a buyer.

Last edited:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Do you guys only deal with those who will provide a BOS?

I do unless I know them. Ive got a lot of flak in the last year about insisting on a BOS. I want to have documentation of what I buy or sell to whom and basic information in case the gun is stolen. You just never know and a simple BOS could save you some trouble if you do come into contact with a stolen firearm which Ive seen firsthand. IN the end to each their own.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Good to know so many gun owners support the President's call for more protection in gun sales . Really registration is the only way way for all of us to be fully protected. That way you know it wasn't stolen and that both parties are a proper person.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Good to know so many gun owners support the President's call for more protection in gun sales . Really registration is the only way way for all of us to be fully protected. That way you know it wasn't stolen and that both parties are a proper person.

:patriot:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Dealing on Armslist can be very safe and easy, as long as you are careful and follow some simple rules. I have met many fantastic people through armslist and have found great deals. I find it best to always ask to speak with the buyer/seller on the phone. Tell the seller you have specific questions and would like to speak verbally. There is alot you can learn about a person in a 10 minute call. Meet in a public location, during the day, in a familiar part of town. If a seller will only agree to meet you at their house, or in some isolated area, best to avoid. I always chose to meet in LGS or Gander parking lots.

Be sure to ask the seller, beforehand, if they have any problem issuing a bill of sale and if they will provide you with their driver's license or CC permit.

If they are nice on the phone, agree to meet in a safe area, will issue a bill of sale and are comfortable providing you with their CC permit or DL, then, in my opinion, you'll be fine.

Hope that helps,
    chris
    Maybe that I've been lucky so far but I've never had a bad experience dealing with people selling or trading on Armslist. And I have had quite a few dealings. Not to say bad people with bad intentions are not out there however. Just make sure you talk to the person, preferably by mouth, not text or email, you are going to deal with ahead of time to get a feel. Meetin a public, well lit place and be extra careful.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Been watching a ruger Blackhawk on armslist and I think I've found the one I want. How safe is it to purchase a gun on armslist and what do I have to look out for?
    I just bought a ruger police service six on armslist and have bought a snubbie, shotgun, and a kel tec off of it as well. I've never had any problems except for a gun who didn't show up to sell me a cobra. It's perfectly safe IF you critically analyze how the seller is talking in your emails. Getting a phone number and talking is a big plus as well. Personally, never had any issues.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I've also never had an issue with Armslist. Bought 5 or 6 times , sold twice, and they have all been pretty good experiences. Like others have said, pay attention to who you're dealing with. Also, big +1 to talking on the phone, a 5 minute phone call tells you a lot about a person. Above all else, be safe!!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    By all means, carry a gun with you when you go to buy/sell but if they go to rob you make sure you have wasp spray and treat them like royalty.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Armslist isn't any different than any site that doesn't verify members. Good guys and bad guys. I have about 6 transactions that all went perfect. All thru the mail to my FFL. The real risk is sending money and then getting nothing. Face to face should have dozens of people and cameras around.
    I'm really conflicted about the BOS. I don't believe in putting up any more barriers to the right to keep and bear arms. On the other hand, I don't want stolen/crime weapons.
    I often get asked if I have any problems with a BOS. Once I said No Problem, the sellers never asked me to sign anything. It was a classic Cop ploy to watch your reaction to the question. I also am concerned about who knows I have weapons, and who is stupid enuf to try and steal them. Any citizen shoot is a bad shoot.
    Keep your antenna up and if it seems funny, walk away quietly. Telling a guy you find him questionable in a face to face is sure to generate a pissed off gunner. That's nothing I want to deal with so figure that out before you meet.
    Lost

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have had a few transactions FTF off of Armslist. so far, all of the people have been onboard with a BOS. Some have asked and never followed through with getting a signature. I agree that a phone conversation first is helpful.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have bought plenty of guns off of armslist. You can get a good deal every once in awhile. I've only had one guy ask for a BOS. He was a Sheriff. He was freaking out about selling me a shotgun in broad daylight at a gas station. I almost (jokingly) suggested we go across the street to the liquor store, but I doubt he had much of a sense of humor lol.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would be leery of sending someone cash, when there is not any kind of feedback system in place. Which armslist does not have. I have had several good transactions on armslist, and usually have better luck selling on there than I do here.
    At least with feedback, you get an idea of how someone is. I have in some instances linked my feedback here, gunbroker and ebay to prospective buyers from other websites.

Top Bottom