• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a question I have never used Armslist, or Gunbroker. Are these sites safe to use? Iirc I read where a few INGO members were scammed on one of these sites. Are these safe or is it a crapshoot? I have seen CDNN i believe uses gunbroker to auction guns off. I'm just leary about using sites like these. Would love your instruction and information about the trustworthiness of these sites.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have a question I have never used Armslist, or Gunbroker. Are these sites safe to use? Iirc I read where a few INGO members were scammed on one of these sites. Are these safe or is it a crapshoot? I have seen CDNN i believe uses gunbroker to auction guns off. I'm just leary about using sites like these. Would love your instruction and information about the trustworthiness of these sites.

I have bought and sold on Armslist. Never a problem, other than the occasional tire kicker who says "I'll take it," then never sends another message. You can get a pretty good feel about someone in a text exchange. Also, be smart about what part of town you are asked to meet in. Face to face transactions only, NEVER send money to someone.

I've never sold on Gunbroker, but have bought a few guns there over the years. I've only won 1 auction that I remember, usually I just pay the "buy it now" price if it's something I really want and can't find locally, and the price is fair. Gunbroker has feedback, so you're not totally in the dark. I wouldn't buy or bid with a seller that has no/little feedback. Stick to FFLs with loads of A+ feedback, and you'll be fine. I'm not trying to cause myself an aneurysm dealing with Cletus 5 states away when he doesn't ship on time, ships the wrong thing or sends an item in much worse shape than the pictures indicate.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've used them to browse, but was always able to buy whatever I wanted from an FFL and just have them ship it to my transfer FFL with no middlemen.

4x4strongman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 16, 2020
    Indianapolis

I have never had any issues with armslist. Mostly ftf transactions

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have bought and sold on Armslist. Never a problem, other than the occasional tire kicker who says "I'll take it," then never sends another message. You can get a pretty good feel about someone in a text exchange. Also, be smart about what part of town you are asked to meet in. Face to face transactions only, NEVER send money to someone.

I've never sold on Gunbroker, but have bought a few guns there over the years. I've only won 1 auction that I remember, usually I just pay the "buy it now" price if it's something I really want and can't find locally, and the price is fair. Gunbroker has feedback, so you're not totally in the dark. I wouldn't buy or bid with a seller that has no/little feedback. Stick to FFLs with loads of A+ feedback, and you'll be fine. I'm not trying to cause myself an aneurysm dealing with Cletus 5 states away when he doesn't ship on time, ships the wrong thing or sends an item in much worse shape than the pictures indicate.

So if its an FFL dealer you shouldn't have any problems? What I've been looking at is some rare firearms on auction from CDNN. I've just been to leary about buying on them sites.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

I've never had an issue with Gunbroker, I have over the years bought and sold on there. Like Route 45 stated, I've never had an issue on Armslist either.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So if its an FFL dealer you shouldn't have any problems? What I've been looking at is some rare firearms on auction from CDNN. I've just been to leary about buying on them sites.

Yes, that's my experience. I especially wouldn't worry about buying from CDNN, whether it's on Gunbroker or their own website. I've bought from them before, never an issue.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yes, that's my experience. I especially wouldn't worry about buying from CDNN, whether it's on Gunbroker or their own website. I've bought from them before, never an issue.

Alright thanks. This is actually a new way to buy a gun for me I usually by lgs then if they don't have what I want or can't get it I buy at a online Gun store. Never an auction site or where people list guns from different states. Don't want to get scammed.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Can confirm about CDNN. I ordered a T/C Dimension from CDNN. Got to my FFL in two days - about a day and half of actual time from order to delivery. Fast shipping, and just $5 for firearms from their site (plus usually a little cheaper than their GB/EBay listings). Very impressed with their speed and it was a very easy process. Should be getting a right-handed bolt for the .204/.223 caliber shortly for a RH dimension that I bought from Cabelas in Hammond (which was a slow and tedious experience compared to every other gun purchase I've done).

I've had good luck with Armslist - purchased 2 guns including paying by personal check. Just be aware of weird emails. If you explicitly put "-Will Ship" in the title and again in the description, then get an email asking if you're willing to ship.. Or the same email 2-3 times with different names attached. Someone whose secretary/assistant accidentally gets a certified check for too large of an amount, etc. Then 99.9% it's spam. There are also escrow services that are somewhat affordable like GunTab. I haven't used them yet, but am willing to try them out. If I saw a deal that was likely too good to be true, I would certainly use an escrow service. If a private seller won't consider an escrow service, probably a scam. (That all might seem obvious to you, but just incase anyone is dipping their toes into the Armslist waters, that's my experience).

As a buyer, you can also find FFLs via Armslist who ship. Currently have a deal pending from an FFL whose site I found via Armslist. I can update on this if it goes well (or goes horribly) with a thread/post in the online sellers review area. But the positive signs are there: used his full name in the email, pays to be a premium vendor, negotiated using normal English, no drastic change in way of writing from one email to the next. If an FFL can sell two guns/mo. then Armslist is still a viable option. The cost of one month of being a premium vendor is around the same or less than one GB auction fee for a firearm. And if you find a vendor you like, you can continue to buy through that vendor. Armslist still gets money for the premium vendor and your access to decent deals is increased.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Alright thanks. This is actually a new way to buy a gun for me I usually by lgs then if they don't have what I want or can't get it I buy at a online Gun store. Never an auction site or where people list guns from different states. Don't want to get scammed.

I always use a credit card, never a check/money order or debit card linked to my actual money. Even if it's 3% more for a credit card, it's worth it to me for the fraud protection and ability to dispute a charge if needed. Have never needed to use it, but it's good peace of mind.

Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    I’ve noticed a lot less ads since they’ve went to a paid service and if anything it seems like there are more scammers on there now than there was before. I’ve been looking for an HK USP compact and 90% of the replies I have gotten has been a scammer. Also seen lots of too good to be true deals posted with generic pictures. I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole site is bankrupt in the next couple years.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I always use a credit card, never a check/money order or debit card linked to my actual money. Even if it's 3% more for a credit card, it's worth it to me for the fraud protection and ability to dispute a charge if needed. Have never needed to use it, but it's good peace of mind.

I am glad that you've not had your account compromised.
    Just in the past year, my main credit card, a Visa b/c of a Costco membership, has been violated 3 times for 5 charges.
    They do take care of it, but it takes weeks for it to be finally resolved, even if it evident that I wasn't going to restaurants in FL.
    I'm not willing to risk them refunding thousands if someone gets greedy when gaining access.

I am paranoid about giving out information to a "vendor" like Armslist b/c of such experiences.
    Beyond wanting your credit card information, which is fairly standard in today's internet market, asking for a person's bank account & routing number is beyond the pale.
    I've never seen or heard of that except if a person goes to their bank to do a wire transfer to another's person's bank.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I am glad that you've not had your account compromised.
    Just in the past year, my main credit card, a Visa b/c of a Costco membership, has been violated 3 times for 5 charges.
    They do take care of it, but it takes weeks for it to be finally resolved, even if it evident that I wasn't going to restaurants in FL.
    I'm not willing to risk them refunding thousands if someone gets greedy when gaining access.

I am paranoid about giving out information to a "vendor" like Armslist b/c of such experiences.
    Beyond wanting your credit card information, which is fairly standard in today's internet market, asking for a person's bank account & routing number is beyond the pale.
    I've never seen or heard of that except if a person goes to their bank to do a wire transfer to another's person's bank.

I actually have had by debit card hit, a $600+ purchase in Romania. This was a few years ago, and ever since then, I NEVER use my debit card for anything other than ATM withdrawals, and even then I use my iPhone NFC function. (Tap the sensor with the phone) The bank took care of in a couple of days.

I use credit cards for everything now, and have had a couple of my cards hit for fraudulent charges. I could not care less. I am not liable for fraud. I switched to another card and kept on trucking while the other bank issued me a new card, which arrived in the mail just a few days later. I have alerts set to text me if a transaction hits above a certain amount, or for transactions without the card present. I check my accounts regularly.

The idea that you would ever have to pay back "thousands" is, frankly, ridiculous. It's not your money. And if your credit card issuer takes weeks to resolve an issue, you need a new card. I'm happy with Capital One and Chase.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    The main reason i wont use a card on arms list is that they haven't proven there site is fraud proof,credit cards and even a debit card have been hit a few times, bank takes care of it, just a pita when your new card comes and you have to redo all your info!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I actually have had by debit card hit, a $600+ purchase in Romania. This was a few years ago, and ever since then, I NEVER use my debit card for anything other than ATM withdrawals, and even then I use my iPhone NFC function. (Tap the sensor with the phone) The bank took care of in a couple of days.

I use credit cards for everything now, and have had a couple of my cards hit for fraudulent charges. I could not care less. I am not liable for fraud. I switched to another card and kept on trucking while the other bank issued me a new card, which arrived in the mail just a few days later. I have alerts set to text me if a transaction hits above a certain amount, or for transactions without the card present. I check my accounts regularly.

The idea that you would ever have to pay back "thousands" is, frankly, ridiculous. It's not your money. And if your credit card issuer takes weeks to resolve an issue, you need a new card. I'm happy with Capital One and Chase.

As always, Route 45, you make logical points and speak frankly: I like that type of communication style.
    The only reason I have the credit cards that I do is b/c Sams Club issues a MC & Costco issues a CITI VISA as their membership cards.
    I also have an app which alerts me to every charge made to my CC, which is how I discovered the fraudulent charges on my card.

Decades ago, on a Discover card someone charged over $6000 on it & I didn't discover it until I got my monthly bill.
    One phone call & it was taken care of. I remember I didn't even have to pay the $50 fee.

Meathead2011

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2020
    Flora
    Yes I hate this same thing happened to me sent msg to a user and then like a week or two later tried again it told me to upgrade guess they thought they could make more money

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I thinks we have some ex armslisters amongst us in here.!! I can tell by the newbies coming in. I’m not a flipper... I have 51 posts and I want $1200 for my Anderson lower and palmetto upper.!!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    https://www.armslist.com/posts/12911583/indianiapolis-indiana-handguns-for-trade--glock-17-gen-5-

I saw this and said too bad I have an as new G-30 I would surly trade, but didn't want the hassle of signing up, paying then finding out the deal was gone, oh well, G-30 will remain in the safe.

On Armslist

Glock 17 gen 5 bnib, nightstand gun. Never fired, just want a trade.
    [h=4]Will trade for:[/h] Sig P320
    Glock subcompact 26/27
    Glock 30/30SF etc.
    1911 depending on quality
    Mossberg 930
    shield performance 9mm with extras
    AR pistol
    handgun + quality folding knife
    offer

Top Bottom