Are you gonna be the "S#!t" or are you gonna be the "Fan"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Honest question! Run or help?

I want to mention up front that I do have a bag in the basement with clothing, meds, info,powerbars, cash,cell phone for 911, a few light tools and clothing for me and flarewife. This is for storm readiness in the event we are in the basement during a tornado and the house leaves us. I am not talking about storm ready here.

I read the bug out bag threads, the bug out gun, truck ideas etc.. and I wonder how many members here will be part of the problem or part of a potential solution?

Again, I am not talking about storm readiness and recovery here, I am talking about big things like the fall of the rule of law. Do you really see the failure of law on a massive scale? Would you be willing to chuck it all and run to somewhere that has "law"? Where would that be? Where would you go? Would you be one of the masses that jam up the roads so the fire trucks could not help others?

Sure, in a dirty bomb we all gotta get out fast...but I seriously doubt many could get away from the circle center fast enough if you live within 25 miles of it, and the rest will have to move permanently, so I will leave that out for the sake of this discussion.

I just get the feeling and sentiment from many of these threads that many are just preparing to run somewhere if things get bad? I live in northern Johnson Co. but have a family farm with a underground cement bunker, a farm pond, woods and septic etc.. but it is in Northern Brown County, and I know that I may not make it there before the roads get clogged, so I kinda chuck that idea...unless I find the need to move. But by then I am sure 500 other people will lay claim to that pond for a food source, (at least for a week or two till they fish it out) so much for fresh fish.

So I will stay, sure if the city water starts to fail I will need to hook up the well, and the sewer starts to back up I will plug the drains and dig an outhouse(?) or move. But is "move" something that I will need to do in a panic with a special gun or ammo laden bag?

S#!T or FAN?

So, if you are going to be one of the masses on the road, you will be one of the armed masses (with a rifle on your back), but where will you go? If you have no plan that you can execute in 1 hour you may end up far from home, low on things and decide to take them at some point, and that may make you the S#!T, because you may stop in front of someones home that elected to tough it out and start taking things...I.E. S#!T.

If you elect to stay at home and work to repair/ rebuild your neighborhood, put out fires deal with the mess maybe you are a fan? And since you are reading this, you are an armed fan... and that is something that some may not want to mess around with, after all, you could loose a finger poking around in a fan.

Jus sayin...

[rant/]

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I think most people on this forum are honorable people. that being said murphy f's with the best of men. everything is theory until it's in pratice. morality goes only so far in an immoral setting. stop me I'm pulling philosophy out of my butt!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I would hope that I would help my neighbors and be a fan.That said I imagine anyone could do some pretty horrible things if they see there children starving.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Flaregun,

I also got the impression that some folks were thinking that simply because they have a firearm in their hand, that the threat of or use of force will provide for them post-SHTF.

Everyone needs to understand that banditry post-SHTF probably won't be a very lucrative career move and won't provide for you or your family for very long, oh yea you might get away with it a time or two but banditry will get you & maybe your family killed.

If "the boys in blue" stop showing up for work, regular folks will start forming posse's or militia's and they'll either gun you down, burn you out or hang you from the neck until dead, all without reading you your rights or careing about due process or giving you a trial by jury of your peers.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I've got family is Southern Indiana, that's where I would take my wife and 1 year old. They come first, period. If the roads are at a dead stop, well I have a 4x4 that will do just fine driving over the river and throught the woods to Grandmothers house we go. Now, if I was single and no kids I would stay behind and help out friends and neighbors.

Forgot to mention, Grandma lives in the country. There are farm animals, crops, fishing holes, wild game....

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Flaregun,

I also got the impression that some folks were thinking that simply because they have a firearm in their hand, that the threat of or use of force will provide for them post-SHTF.

Everyone needs to understand that banditry post-SHTF probably won't be a very lucrative career move and won't provide for you or your family for very long, oh yea you might get away with it a time or two but banditry will get you & maybe your family killed.

If "the boys in blue" stop showing up for work, regular folks will start forming posse's or militia's and they'll either gun you down, burn you out or hang you from the neck until dead, all without reading you your rights or careing about due process or giving you a trial by jury of your peers.

One can only hope :rockwoot:and that would be CHANGE that I could believe in :draw:

Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've got family is Southern Indiana, that's where I would take my wife and 1 year old. They come first, period. If the roads are at a dead stop, well I have a 4x4 that will do just fine driving over the river and throught the woods to Grandmothers house we go. Now, if I was single and no kids I would stay behind and help out friends and neighbors.

Forgot to mention, Grandma lives in the country. There are farm animals, crops, fishing holes, wild game....

If traffic is not jammed up, then that would be a good plan.

I have a Tacoma with good tires, but I dont think I could make it to Trafalgar from Greenwood off road, much less to Brown county. And by the time I got to my "Spot" someone else would be hold up and barricaded in...

Now, if a guy could get way down south and out a the way, away from the major highways, he may stand a chance, if the locals let you through?

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    Flare,

I would think that most of the Sheeple will be sticking to main roads/highways/interstates. Do you think you could work out alternate routes that involve smaller roads? I would work out a couple extras and i think you could make it. You will only need to be "off road" to get around a clog.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For the most part I will not be leaving. We have some pretty good living conditions here in central Indiana. There are some situations where I can see being forced to relocate from here. Dirty bomb in Chi-town, just off the top of my head.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Basically the question is - is your home better defended or is another location that you can get to. And know that running and repositioning look similar. The reality is that farmers and rural folk cannot defend their land with just one family and a few guns - Argentina proved that. If you go rural, you had better have a small army because your dogs will be bait poisoned and when hell comes to you, it will be in 3-4 trucks full of armed professinoals already prepped in entry work.

If you stay at home, then you had better know your neighbors well as your primary problems may be abductions and home invasions of smaller scale than farms. The new skills will be to answer your door from the second story window, don't stop at red lights after dark, etc. Again, review Argentina.

Now the world collapses, there is very little that we can do to prepare for that. Be ready for staying, bugging out, whatever, because all might happen.

Personally, I am going to work to get all the skills and training I can. Prep what I can afford. And meet all the people I can and get to know others who might be able to give or take help in a crunch.

As for gear, my trunk is a bit of a joke. Really.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    For the most part I will not be leaving. We have some pretty good living conditions here in central Indiana. There are some situations where I can see being forced to relocate from here. Dirty bomb in Chi-town, just off the top of my head.

Same here, I am the designated Bug Out Location :patriot:

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    If traffic is not jammed up, then that would be a good plan.

I have a Tacoma with good tires, but I dont think I could make it to Trafalgar from Greenwood off road, much less to Brown county. And by the time I got to my "Spot" someone else would be hold up and barricaded in...

Now, if a guy could get way down south and out a the way, away from the major highways, he may stand a chance, if the locals let you through?

You could stick to the highway and just drive in the ditch. If need be you could run over the little fence on the side of the highway and drive through farmers fields (staying right beside the highway).

I noticed durning Katrina, the roads heading out of town where backed up, the roads heading into town where not backed up. There was not a single car coming in.... Drive down the wrong lane of traffic. Think outside the box.

PS. I live in an apartment so I think staying there would be a bad idea... thats just me. Im sure that all the rest of my family would make their way to my Grandmas too. That will be our small army. That would be the best bet for survival.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You guys have it all wrong. BO is going to set up these nice big "gov homes" in schools, universities, football stadiums and everyone is going to be able to get free shelter, food, security, and all the other freedoms like health care, education, etc. There is no need to prepare for anything BO has though of everything for you.

When the BO Black Shirts come knocking on your door, just take your spouse and kids and get on the yellow little bus. All personal belongs will be sent to you later.
    =p

Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    You guys have it all wrong. BO is going to set up these nice big "gov homes" in schools, universities, football stadiums and everyone is going to be able to get free shelter, food, security, and all the other freedoms like health care, education, etc. There is no need to prepare for anything BO has though of everything for you.

When the BO Black Shirts come knocking on your door, just take your spouse and kids and get on the yellow little bus. All personal belongs will be sent to you later.
    =p
    You really need to stop listening to Hannity...:D Step away from the FM dial...

Top Bottom