• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rose colored glasses while sipping on the Kool-Aid, you mean. I agree to an extent - lots of YouTubers seem to bow down at Gaston's altar. Lots of them seem to have little other firearms experience to draw from. But boy, they know you can swap out lots of parts on that ol' Glock!

Those who are a bit more realistic, and experienced, seem to offer a broader world view when it comes to firearms.

A few, like Hickok45, even acknowledge their bias - but also will be the first to praise something on its own merits. Case in point, his FNS review. And his 42 review was almost apologetic over Glock's choice to chamber it in 380, if you really listen between the lines, so to speak.

I like to think I have a pretty good filter (not rose-colored, I prefer chartreuse :) )on when I watch these folks - and it only takes a few seconds worth of viewing in most cases to weed out the less-than-useful ones.

The thing is there were a lot of folks doing this with John Browning. Especially the 1911.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Really? I thought it was universal that he was the agreed upon best gun designer ever? I guess I don't know much about it because I am not in the 1911 circles. What all do people have to say about him that isn't good?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    I think that they are that good. I'm by no means a Glock "fanboy". but I do own two. A Gen4 17 and a Gen3 27. I also own other various hand guns. S&W MP9 Pro, S&W 629, Kahr K9, ect. My pocket carry is a Sig P938. I buy and shoot what I like. Most complaints you here about Glocks are purely cosmetic..."ugly, looks like a brick, not sexy as a 1911, ect.". The legitimate complaint, in my eyes is how it fits an individual's hand. I get that. It just happens to fit me fine, thus the reason for me to own two. For me, the reliability, cost, accuracy, the availability of parts to customize and accessories, make it an easy choice.

As for the Glock 42, you're right. It is just about the same size as my P938, which I pocket carry in a Galco pocket rig. I won't sacrifice the stopping power of a 9mm for a .380 just because it says "Glock" on the slide. Now, if they would have brought the 42 out as a 9, I might have a different opinion.....

If (or rather when) they Introduce it in 9mm, it will be very profitable.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    If I missed this being mentioned already, apologies. Suggest the OP also consider what type of ammo he plans to use. Glock says only use factory ammo, no reloads. If you plan to shoot reloads it would be wise to do further investigation. You will find Interweb references to 40 cal Glocks exploding with reloads. Personally think problems with reloads are more likely double charge, bad brass, or somebody messing with the pistol. The only related direct experience I can provide is witnessing a reloading shop refuse to sell $700 of equipment to a brother-in-law when he mentioned intent to reload 40 cal for his Glock. Also, lead bullets are claimed to severely foul Glock barrels. I have personally used Missouri Bullet lead in 2 HK45s with polygon rifling, like Glock. Not a hint of lead buildup. Missouri Bullet states their lead is of correct hardness to work fine in polygon rifled barrels. Other lead could cause and issue.

HK makes a fine product that has performed flawlessly for me. I prefer the way HK fits my hand versus a Glock when you are talking about a pistol that will take a beating and keep on ticking. Also have an FNP-9 and 1911 that have never failed to go boom. However, does not mean I don't practice clearing a problem.

Saw a YouTube video of a couple guys severely abusing a Hi-Point with water, sand, and mud. It went boom every time. Does that mean Hi-Point is super reliable? It all boils down to personal preference. There are plenty of good pistols out there.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really? I thought it was universal that he was the agreed upon best gun designer ever? I guess I don't know much about it because I am not in the 1911 circles. What all do people have to say about him that isn't good?

While there is much to like about the 1911, it is getting a bit long in the tooth. The Glock has become the new "1911".

Personally, I carry an HK USP compact in .40 cal. I also like the Walther P99 in 9mm for certain operations. For tactical I use an HK USP Tactical (Full size) in .40 cal. But I do own a 1911, several Glocks, a Kel-Tec carbine that uses Glock mags (everything is mostly .40 but I own a couple of 9mm and two .45), Sig P220 (.45), Beretta 92 (9mm). It just depends on the mission.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    If I missed this being mentioned already, apologies. Suggest the OP also consider what type of ammo he plans to use. Glock says only use factory ammo, no reloads. If you plan to shoot reloads it would be wise to do further investigation. You will find Interweb references to 40 cal Glocks exploding with reloads. Personally think problems with reloads are more likely double charge, bad brass, or somebody messing with the pistol. The only related direct experience I can provide is witnessing a reloading shop refuse to sell $700 of equipment to a brother-in-law when he mentioned intent to reload 40 cal for his Glock. Also, lead bullets are claimed to severely foul Glock barrels. I have personally used Missouri Bullet lead in 2 HK45s with polygon rifling, like Glock. Not a hint of lead buildup. Missouri Bullet states their lead is of correct hardness to work fine in polygon rifled barrels. Other lead could cause and issue.

HK makes a fine product that has performed flawlessly for me. I prefer the way HK fits my hand versus a Glock when you are talking about a pistol that will take a beating and keep on ticking. Also have an FNP-9 and 1911 that have never failed to go boom. However, does not mean I don't practice clearing a problem.

Saw a YouTube video of a couple guys severely abusing a Hi-Point with water, sand, and mud. It went boom every time. Does that mean Hi-Point is super reliable? It all boils down to personal preference. There are plenty of good pistols out there.

Most manufacturers seem to have a similar disclaimer with reloaded ammo. It makes sense for them to say it though. Some moron loads some really hot batch and runs it through the gun to "test reliability". And blows his hand off. Then, because this is America, he sues the gun manufacturer and wins. It is more likely to happen than we like to think.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While there is much to like about the 1911, it is getting a bit long in the tooth. The Glock has become the new "1911".

Personally, I carry an HK USP compact in .40 cal. I also like the Walther P99 in 9mm for certain operations. For tactical I use an HK USP Tactical (Full size) in .40 cal. But I do own a 1911, several Glocks, a Kel-Tec carbine that uses Glock mags (everything is mostly .40 but I own a couple of 9mm and two .45), Sig P220 (.45), Beretta 92 (9mm). It just depends on the mission.

New 1911 my Butt.............:(

That is just silly. Glocks are fine for what they are....plastic based self defense hand guns that are very reliable but ugly as Hillary Clinton. I have only the one issue with the gun and that is it is just ugly.
    Engineering/reliability etc are on point. That does not make them the new 1911.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    New 1911 my Butt.............:(

That is just silly. Glocks are fine for what they are....plastic based self defense hand guns that are very reliable but ugly as Hillary Clinton. I have only the one issue with the gun and that is it is just ugly.
    Engineering/reliability etc are on point. That does not make them the new 1911.

It has replaced the 1911 as the American gun. Just as modifiable as the 1911 but more modern.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I own and shoot many different firearms. I have fired Glocks, but do not own one. Can't say much bad about their reliability or engineering and the Price is quite low compared to a steel and wood gun of equivalent quality. Many people have purchased them due to these facts. BUT there are many great firearms in the market. I personally don't care for Polymer firearms, so don't own any. I carry a Colt Double Eagle - I trust it as far as I would trust any firearm, I have put many rounds downrange without ANY issues in the 20+ years I have owned it.

I will state one thing, most people, once they have purchased any major item tend to believe it is the best thing since sliced bread. That is human nature, to defend their selection and intelligent purchase. To anyone intending to purchase a firearm, the best advice I would give is to handle and try out as many in the style they like as possible, research the web to see if there are a lot of negative comments about the guns you like - take the comments with a grain of salt but do pay attention if a common failure mode is seen.

From what I have seen and experienced a Glock is a good firearm for those that like poly frames. As I stated reliability and prices are good. I dislike the looks, the ones I have fired did not "feel" or "handle" to my liking - but those are personal likes.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    You will NEVER get an objective review for the simple fact that people are different, have different physical traits (hand size, arm length, etc), have different needs and different missions.

The ONLY way to find what works best for YOU is to try different ones. Complaining that other people aren't giving you objective reviews is pointless because of that.

Further, many of us try out lots of different guns over time to find what we like best, and what we like and want may change over time.

BUT, the basic truth is that if the only gun you could ever own was a rusty old Jennings and you were motivated then you could become proficient with it and you'd learn its idiosyncrasies to use it the best you can. Luckily we have a plethora of choices.

This about sums up my thoughts. I don't own a Glock but have shot several. Some with trigger work, different sights ya da ya da ya da. The gun went bang with every pull. My problem with a Glock is that it doesn't fit my hand well. I can't get a comfortable grip on the gun so my shooting experience is degraded a bit. Which is too bad for me because there is so much stuff available for the Glock you can customize and get lots of neat toys.

For me, Smith and Wesson M&P series tend to fit my hand like a glove. As a result I shoot better. Both companies make fine products and there is something out there for everyone.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I own Glocks, I like the feel of the HK USP. I want a double action pistol anyway (thus not interested in the 1911 for normal carry). Besides I have a good Sig P220 in .45 that is a better gun than most 1911s without all the extra modifications. Bought it in Germany.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It has replaced the 1911 as the American gun. Just as modifiable as the 1911 but more modern.

Agree to its being the gun used in LE and some other areas. It has only done this because of capacity and cost. Well, there is that pesky reliable thing but any new 1911 mid rang offering is reliable as well.

Truthfully the Glock is less expensive/higher capacity/lighter. Great combo for a spec. ops. piece or LE use. All that said (and I think truthfully) it is not the new 1911. Nothing can or will replace the 1911 as Americas gun. I just can not see John Wayne (rest his soul) pointing a Glock at the enemy.....:)

Blasphemy I say, just Blasphemy.......:)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    About 3 years ago, when I first decided it was time to be an owner, I picked up a G4 G17. I *hated* it, couldn't hit the ocean with it. I added a G3 G26, and was marginally better with it, but didn't like it a whole lot either. Went the M&P route for awhile, tried out several other different types of guns, trying to find the one. I swore I'd never own another Glock again. Fast forward a year or two, and after many rounds of practice, dry firing, and learning better shooting techniques, I tried my younger brother's G4 G23. Within the week I had one on my safe. I've come full circle with Glocks, and the G4 G23 (which also got me into 40) is now one of my absolute favorites. Ugly? Yeah, it kind of is. But it's reliable, easy to maintain, and I'm at the point now where it's hard to miss what I'm shooting at with it. The older I get, the more I like "simple". I don't need lots of levers, knobs, buttons, or serrations. Glock has turned out to be a good choice for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    About 3 years ago, when I first decided it was time to be an owner, I picked up a G4 G17. I *hated* it, couldn't hit the ocean with it. I added a G3 G26, and was marginally better with it, but didn't like it a whole lot either. Went the M&P route for awhile, tried out several other different types of guns, trying to find the one. I swore I'd never own another Glock again. Fast forward a year or two, and after many rounds of practice, dry firing, and learning better shooting techniques, I tried my younger brother's G4 G23. Within the week I had one on my safe. I've come full circle with Glocks, and the G4 G23 (which also got me into 40) is now one of my absolute favorites. Ugly? Yeah, it kind of is. But it's reliable, easy to maintain, and I'm at the point now where it's hard to miss what I'm shooting at with it. The older I get, the more I like "simple". I don't need lots of levers, knobs, buttons, or serrations. Glock has turned out to be a good choice for me.

If it fits, wear it. If you like it, use it.
    I do not like the triggers on any plastic gun I have tried. I bought a really nice H&K USP in .45 and although I could hit with it I just never got into the trigger. Way to much take up.
    I gave it to my SIL and he loves it.
    The 1911 trigger is just my favorite. It can be easily tuned to fit the individual. I mean easily. I spend roughly an hour doing sear hammer fit to any 1911 I buy. I do it just for grins and giggles. This alone drops the effort required to make it go "Boom" and sweetens the action significantly. Many are OK out of the box I just enjoy fiddling.
    Once I set the spring where I want it it is an easy enough deal to change the trigger characteristics to fit my needs.
    I have friends with highly modified Glocks and they run very well. The triggers will never be a match for the 1911 trigger.
    We can go on and on about this for days. If you like your Glock and you can use it well, stay with it. I am very happy with Johns design.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not like the triggers on any plastic gun I have tried. I bought a really nice H&K USP in .45 and although I could hit with it I just never got into the trigger. Way to much take up.
    The 1911 trigger is just my favorite. It can be easily tuned to fit the individual. I mean easily. I spend roughly an hour doing sear hammer fit to any 1911 I buy. I do it just for grins and giggles. This alone drops the effort required to make it go "Boom" and sweetens the action significantly. Many are OK out of the box I just enjoy fiddling.
    Once I set the spring where I want it it is an easy enough deal to change the trigger characteristics to fit my needs.
    I have friends with highly modified Glocks and they run very well. The triggers will never be a match for the 1911 trigger.
    We can go on and on about this for days. If you like your Glock and you can use it well, stay with it. I am very happy with Johns design.

In reality, guns are like knives in that if it does not fit your hand, you are less likely to use it. I do not think that non gun owners understand how personal a gun is. How much it is tuned to the owner. Just as people customize their cars to make them personal, so are guns and knives.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In reality, guns are like knives in that if it does not fit your hand, you are less likely to use it. I do not think that non gun owners understand how personal a gun is. How much it is tuned to the owner. Just as people customize their cars to make them personal, so are guns and knives.

I think your statement is one of the reasons I am so into my 1911's
    The ability to tune/modify is something not many other platforms offer. I love to fiddle.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think your statement is one of the reasons I am so into my 1911's
    The ability to tune/modify is something not many other platforms offer. I love to fiddle.

A friend who works at Purdue holds the original patent for a "plastic frame pistol". He sold Herr Glock on the idea at a machinist convention in Germany. He now receives $15 per plastic frame pistol sold.

He said that Herr Glock was astounded by the level of customization that Americans did to their guns. German speaking countries tend to just accept what is offered.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    A friend who works at Purdue holds the original patent for a "plastic frame pistol". He sold Herr Glock on the idea at a machinist convention in Germany. He now receives $15 per plastic frame pistol sold.

He said that Herr Glock was astounded by the level of customization that Americans did to their guns. German speaking countries tend to just accept what is offered.
    Americans are not know for leaving thing stock, rather it be guns, cars, houses anything is better souped up.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We are forbidden to carry single action handguns off duty so there is not much sense in us shooting them.

Top Bottom