• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Daniel Defense rifles are very, very nice quality. Whether they're worth the money is a very subjective topic. There are much less expensive rifles which will function/perform just fine. My best friend bought a DD a few months back and it's a great rifle. I am more than happy with my LMT lower/BCM upper combo but it does not look near as nice as the DD.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm just casually looking at these. Are they really worth the price?

Answer this question with another question, Uncle Kirk's threshold question: "How often will it come out of the safe and what is it for?"

Range toy? Nope, not worth it, get yourself a 5 bill hobby gun.

Every day and for real? Yep, worth it and maybe more, buy the top drawer stuff.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Answer this question with another question, Uncle Kirk's threshold question: "How often will it come out of the safe and what is it for?"

Range toy? Nope, not worth it, get yourself a 5 bill hobby gun.

Every day and for real? Yep, worth it and maybe more, buy the top drawer stuff.

Thank you Uncle Kirk.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    I am going to say no on value. Unless you are looking at owning the name that's rolled on it, they aren't worth it. Get a S&W M&P instead. Cheaper so you can go buy some ammo to practice with.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    There is no doubt Daniel Defense rifles are nice. Unless Spikes has changed they aren't near as expensive as DD. A few years back they were all the rage on here and many other places. I'd definitely buy a Spikes before a DD.

Spikes AR's have been given great reviews on here and everywhere else. I know they make good stuff and I've never heard of them not performing and being reliable. In an honest and true comparison I highly doubt a DD AR is justifiable over a Spikes. I just can't see it.

I have a Noveske SBR that cost more than a lot of DD rifles. It was a want not a need. I highly doubt I'll ever put that much into a single AR again.

The AR market is by far the most flooded I've ever seen and most of them are making quality rifles. I can't see how DD, Noveske, LMT and all the other "high end" AR manufacturers aren't lowering their prices to compete. They have to be hurting.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I have a Spike's upper and lower on my build, I'm not impressed. The coating they put on looks terrible in my opinion and I have quite a bit of play between my upper and lower. My DPMS has less play and a better looking finish.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have pretty much built all my own. Some sit in the safe more than others, but all have had zero issues. None of them have less than 500 rounds thru. Accuracy is great and i would trust any one of them with my life. Some more accurate than others, but all were specific built. None cost more than $800 and thats 223, 300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, and 458 socom. Me, myself, and I say no, they're not quite worth the cost. Build it from scratch, depending on what you want it for. If its just gonna be a plinker then buy a dpms, S&W, etc. for $500 or less and they'll serve the purpose, especially at the cost in todays market.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am going to say no on value. Unless you are looking at owning the name that's rolled on it, they aren't worth it. Get a S&W M&P instead. Cheaper so you can go buy some ammo to practice with.

A M&P would never be my go to war gun.. a DD, all day long. "Value" is subjective according to intent of use.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A M&P would never be my go to war gun.. a DD, all day long. "Value" is subjective according to intent of use.

I can see this. DD has the quality and the Rep.

I have had 2 M&P's. 1 was with the SIL for a long time and he ran it very hard. Never a issue to memory and I saw near every round it put down range because he uses my Ammo when we go. That one just came back to me in some trading. I took it all the way down. Still in very good shape. I have some plans for it.

The other one is with a friend and he has the same results. Runs it hard all the time. Crap steel ammo and never misses a beat. This puts those rifles in a good light with me.

As to the DD line I have no direct knowledge past running a few and seeing others. Very nice fit/finish etc. but man they want way too much for them in my opinion.
    Like I stated up thread.....I have been building my own for years now. I have $1500 + in a few of them. Less in others. They all do the job.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I believe that with firearms, for the most part you get what you pay for. I have a Sig M400, a Windham Weaponry MPC, a Colt 6920, and a Franken gun built from a S&W M&P lower assy with a YHM 20" upper assy and a Daniel Defense BCG. All shoot very well, but I don't believe they would keep up with BCM, Spike's or Daniel Defense, nor would any bring a resale value like them either. That said, Kris Paronto of "13 Hours, The Secret Soldiers of Bengahzi" has carried a Bushmaster since 2005 as a contractor and it has served him well.
    A buddy of mine is saving for a house, so he is pretty frugal with his extra money. He has managed to put together a complete Spike's Tactical mid-length by buying the complete upper from AIM surplus last year for $520 and completing it with a complete Spike's lower assembly from AIM just a couple weeks ago for $200. He has less than $750 w/ tax, in the entire rifle.
    The upper is on AIM's website now for $559, and the lower is $270, which is still less than $850 for a complete Spike's rifle.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Getting the "acceptable" rifle has been trying to hit a moving target over the years. one is good for a few years then a new crop comes along...

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    There is definitely a better market now, and companies that build rifles rise and fall everyday. The cream of the crop will rise to the top and stay there. BCM, Spike's, Daniel Defense are all at the top and will be there for a long time to come because they started with a quality product and continue to put out a quality product, despite the ebb and flow of the market.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I have had 2 M&P's. 1 was with the SIL for a long time and he ran it very hard. Never a issue to memory and I saw near every round it put down range because he uses my Ammo when we go. That one just came back to me in some trading. I took it all the way down. Still in very good shape. I have some plans for it.

The other one is with a friend and he has the same results. Runs it hard all the time. Crap steel ammo and never misses a beat. This puts those rifles in a good light with me.

As to the DD line I have no direct knowledge past running a few and seeing others. Very nice fit/finish etc. but man they want way too much for them in my opinion.
    Like I stated up thread.....I have been building my own for years now. I have $1500 + in a few of them. Less in others. They all do the job.

Oh yeah, I get you. Unlike an Oly, Vulcan, or Armalite, I'd actually own an M&P. But if I have a DD, Colt, Noveske and M&P on the shelf; and can only take one, I'm leaving the M&P.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have a pragmatic view of firearms! I have some fairly expensive firearms Colts, Kimber, Remington's Winchester's etc., and some very inexpensive guns like Cobra, Davis etc.. My son and I have shot almost all of them and after tuning have had very few issues, of those issues I would say as many occurred with the expensive ones as the cheap ones. Most issues with semi-autos can be traced to either the ammo, the magazines or the firearms becoming very "dirty".

I personally would not consider the AR as my primary firearm if SHTF. I don't like the 5.56 cartridge as far as wound characteristics, wind drift, barrier penetration etc. plus in my opinion the standard AR runs very dirty and is prone to failure when not cleaned properly. If I had to depend on only an AR for protection I would pay the price for a piston type AR. I understand many think this is not an issue, but the AK and SKS have proven their piston design is one of the most reliable in the world even in the hands of some of the worst conditions and with very poor maintenance and cleaning. I have an LR .308, 2 5.56 AR's several SKS's, an AK, a couple of Garands, and several other military rifles from WW2.

During my life I have shot many rounds through many different firearms. The main difference I have seen in expensive firearms and lower cost firearms is the fit and finish, I will admit i have had to "tune" some very cheap firearms by polishing the feed ramp and stoning off burrs and re-forming magazine feed lips, but then they shot perfectly. I don't know what the life of an AR actually is before failure, but I'm sure most people with mil spec AR's (regardless of price) will never wear one out. That said the more expensive rifle may last longer but we are talking 8,000 rounds + before any should fail. Most components are the same steel type in the low cost and expensive rifles IE: BCG, barrel, trigger assy, etc. IMHO the only real advantage to the expensive ones are fit and finish, and the "brag" component!

In a SHTF situation, I would rather depend on an AK,SKS, LR308, Garand or one of my other high power rifles or shotguns than an AR, I'm certainly not saying they won't do the job, just that I have more faith in a higher power cartridge.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Hell you're already at a DD level then. You can find used ones from1k-1,200. New all the way,up to 1600 probably.
    You have 1500 or more in ones you've built, and I do too and I understand how it can,add up fast. But I also know if I ever sold or traded ones I've built Id lose my ass but my DD's would hold their value pretty good.
    So,I hear a lot of people say they'd never spend that much on one but they already have on others.
    I've had people shoot my favorite DD and then go out and buy one. They 're amazing guns and worth every penny in my opinion. Also if ANYTHING goes wrong with it even due to my error then DD will make it right.

SPIKES; I'll admit I'm also a huge fan of them. Some big time AR guys aren't and consider them subpar. I've had nothing but good results from spikes and like their fit and finish too. Spikes also,has a no questions guarantee on their products. If you have any problems they replace or fix it.
    I will support both of these companies.

Top Bottom