• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would definately say they are on the rise, along with bobcats. I've seen 3 coyotes while hunting so far (shot one). My brother saw a bobcat in the same stand last week and i saw a bobcat crossing a road on the way back from a morning hunt. I'd say they are both climbing in population.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Extreme NE Corner of Hendricks county (within a half mile of Boone and Marion co lines) has seen a dramatic increase. When I lived there you hardly ever heard or saw any. I was there until the mid nineties. Now Mom says she sees them laying in her driveway on cool nights because it stays warm.

mik1202002

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Feb 12, 2009
    Greencastle
    I've also seen some red foxes out and about lately...I had seen coyotes in the last 5 years or so but this summer and last summer I've seen a couple red foxes every summer.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    See a lot of dead ones on the highways.

7:30 this morning, I-65 northbound between exit 101 (county line road) and MM102 (Stop 11 overpass), dead in center lane.

They are all over Franklin Twp, Marion County. It is one of the more rural parts of Marion County.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've seen coyote by the St. Joseph County Fairgrounds (fairly busy road with subdivisions along the road) and I'd seen a couple walking along the river by IUSB. There have been dogs killed by coyotes around the Sunnymede neighborhood (by the Potawatomi Zoo)...the ones that killed dogs were reported back in 2011 and last I heard, there were still some problems with coyotes in the area.

TR1032

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Johnson County
    They do seem to be increasing in numbers around the Whiteland / Greenwood area. I can hear them in the distance some nights, occasionally see them in the fields, and even had one run across US 31 in front of me in a very populated area early one morning a couple of weeks ago. He was right on the tail of something about the size of a rabbit.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Over by Indianapolis motor speedway in the eagledale neighborhood (where i live) are quite a few coyotes. We've seen them in our front yard. I've seen them when i was catching crawdads in the creek a few houses down. They run the creeks mainly. I have also seen one over by 38th and moller on a side road. Not uncommon anymore to see. I've seen a few red fox's and more and more rabbits lately. I've seen deer in the past but not as much. All within the neighborhood of course.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    They seem to be on the rise. I have hunted in Pike county for several years and am starting to see more coyote sign. This year we are seeing coyotes on a regular basis on our trail cameras. They seem to be active at all hours also. We have pics at midday and at night. We are definitely going to have to hunt coyote this fall. Too many to let them have free reign.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    We're having problems with coyotes down in green county at our hunting area. We've had them on the trail cameras a lot that past 2-3years. and the owner has been trying to avoid trapping them but always winds up with em still. I've never hunted coyotes but i've thought about doing it this year.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I've lived on the same farm in Elkhart County all my life (21 years) and I've never seen a coyote on the farm, or anywhere that I've traveled. The closest thing I've seen is foxes, and I've probably only seen 10 of those in my life (not just on the farm either).

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    That's odd. Unless they're populations are dense in certain areas. I know we have coyotes because they got in our traps. Are they the type of animal that sticks to a certain area they grow up in?

Last edited:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I guess I should have mentioned, my uncle that lives a couple miles away has heard them, and seen them, on his farm. At one point he was going to start shooting them from the upper floor of his barn but I don't think he ever did. He is closer to a large patch of woods, and we are a little closer to town then he is. So maybe that is what has made the difference.

Top Bottom