• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I know that complete SBRs are available for sale with NFA paperwork, but do dealers sell bare SBR lowers also? about how much should one expect to pay for a bare SBR lower, plus of course the $200 tax stamp.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If you buy a lower, it is up to you whether it becomes a pistol, a rife, or an SBR. If you have your heart set on an SBR, the best thing to do is to buy a lower and build it as a pistol. Then do your SBR paperwork. When it is approved, then you can add your stock. While you are waiting for the paperwork to clear, you can use it as a pistol.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The dealer can probably order you a SBR stripped lower. Manuf. probably batch them into SBRs (form 3 listing serial numbers XXY1-XXY100 would be so much easier) so the dealer could probably contact a manuf. about getting just a stripped lower.

I've thought about it before but never looked hard into the answer

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I suppose the only real benefit would be that you wouldn't have to engrave it, but I'm almost certain it can't be done since even a registered lower is longer an SBR once the upper is removed. I'd say your best chance on a good answer would be to contact the ATF or a manufacturer who sells factory SBRs.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    ATF will not allow dealers to sell stripped lowers as an SBR. The rules are pretty clear that once a lower no longer has an attached short barrel to it for any period of time then it no longer is applicable under the NFA.

NOW....I have told you the correct legal facts, reality is you can buy stripped SBR lowers off certain dealers and or manufacturers on gunbroker or on the net.

a compromise is for you to buy and supply the dealer/manufacturer with your short barrel of choice, have them register the lower and put it together and then sell it to you as a SBR. This is legal and done.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Unlike a machine gun, which only has to have the CAPABILITY to fire more than one round with a single pull of the trigger and can be simply a combination of parts (HK sear, DIAS, M2 conversion kit) an SBR is defined in the law as a complete rifle. It must be capable of being fired from the shoulder and have a barrel less than 16" and/or an OAL of less than 26". Dealers USED to sell stripped lowers that had been Form 2'd as SBR's, but this wasn't proper as they weren't ever assembling complete rifles.

a compromise is for you to buy and supply the dealer/manufacturer with your short barrel of choice, have them register the lower and put it together and then sell it to you as a SBR. This is legal and done.

as currahee states, this is an option. You won't have to worry about having your engraving done, only the manufacturer or SOT would have to have engraving on there. The downside is that you don't have a gun to use while waiting for your Form 4.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    as currahee states, this is an option. You won't have to worry about having your engraving done, only the manufacturer or SOT would have to have engraving on there. The downside is that you don't have a gun to use while waiting for your Form 4.

Not saying it is practical, but couldn't you pay for the lower and give the upper to the manufacture in order to complete the form 2, then submit the form 4 and have the manufacture remove the upper, hold onto it and give you the lower to use with a 16+ upper?

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Thanks for the replies, it is more complicated than I'd hoped.
    i realize that I can engrave a lower, but I was hoping to make the process faster / simpler.
    Maybe I should just buy a whole SBR, but it likely will not be the exact configure I want.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Thanks for the replies, it is more complicated than I'd hoped.
    i realize that I can engrave a lower, but I was hoping to make the process faster / simpler.
    Maybe I should just buy a whole SBR, but it likely will not be the exact configure I want.

Exactly, Daniel Defense was the best as the SBR lower was the same cost as their lower. That was before the ATF cracked down on them, Noveske and others...so factory sbr's are sold complete.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Not saying it is practical, but couldn't you pay for the lower and give the upper to the manufacture in order to complete the form 2, then submit the form 4 and have the manufacture remove the upper, hold onto it and give you the lower to use with a 16+ upper?

No because the dealer would have this rifle on their books and the ATF woudn't take too kindly to them having firearms on their books that aren't in their possession.

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    Exactly, Daniel Defense was the best as the SBR lower was the same cost as their lower. That was before the ATF cracked down on them, Noveske and others...so factory sbr's are sold complete.

Well it looks like I finally got my answer! I've been trying to figure out why I found so many people talking on forums about buying DD SBR lowers for the same price. Now I guess these were all posts from years before.

I want to build an all DD SBR, but don't want to pay $1,700 for one complete!

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    As Corey noted you can't legally register a lower by itself. If it has no barrel its not a rifle so it can't be a short barreled rifle. As a non manufacturer-licensee you are required to file a form 1 and get it approved prior to making an SBR so you have to have the receiver in hand to do so. This is because it has the serial number on it and you need a serial to file the forms. You can't legally possess the short barrel until your application is approved so it appears you are registering the receiver. That is not the case, you are applying to assemble(make/manufacture) an NFA firearm and cannot to so until your application is approved.

The marking regs require that the serial number be on the receiver while all the other info can be on the barrel, frame or receiver and because of that you must have the receiver in hand. I as a licensed manufacturer put the whole thing together first and than file registration paperwork (form 2). For me to file the form 2 stating that I have manufactured a short barreled rifle when what I have is a bare receiver amounts to perjury. If I don't have a short barrel on the rifle than I don't have a short barreled rifle and therefore my form 2 is incorrect though I signed it saying it was correct. So the point here is that if you buy a bare receiver from a manufacturer which is registered as a short barreled rifle than that manufacturer has not legally registered it. He cannot transfer to you an NFA firearm that is not NFA.
    Here is a link to the ATFs website for Frequently asked questions on short barreled rifles and shotguns. Please note question one and its answer. It applies directly here.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html
    The other info is helpful as well.

Frank

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    You can register just the lower as a SBR in my view of the law. In fact, you have to if you build your own.

First you must send in your form 1 to assemble your lower as a SBR. Then, only after you get your stamp, may you assemble it. I do not know of any law that states a time limit to assemble you SBR lower into a completed firearm once you get your "permission slip". I took the route already explained, and built a stripped lower as a pistol. That way I could complete the gun, and even fire it prior to getting my stamp. Once I got the stamp, the stock went on. I have since built a second AR pistol as a truck gun. This one will remain a pistol, as the laws are different for keeping a loaded pistol in your vehicle with your LTCH.

I am going to try the Sig brace on my pistol soon. Everything I have read on this makes it seem like a good option if you don't want the hassle of getting another stamp, or approval to leave the state with it. I do love my SBR, but the stupid laws they have on the books regarding it are a real pain.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    So for a first time SBR it sounds like the pistol first route is the way to go so it's at least useable instead of a year long paperweight. Is there something special that you have to do when purchasing the lower besides tell the dealer you need it sold as a pistol? If Barney Fife questions it at some point then how do you prove it was sold as a pistol?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    A dealer must transfer a bare receiver as an "other" per ATF. No other option is correct unless it is built as a pistol or as a rifle.

I built my pistol and my SBR on receivers I bought bare. I guess it wasn't really a SBR as a receiver. Thinking about it now, It wasn't a SBR until AFTER I got permission to make it one by the feds.

Top Bottom