AR15 Stolen from Tippecanoe County sheriff's deputy's car at 2am, off duty?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This story is a little skinny on info.
    Was this AR15 left in an off duty Sheriff's Deputy car in plain sight overnight in an apartment complex?
    The story makes it sound that way.
    Does anybody know more about this?

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    From what I read it was a patrol car of an off duty officer.

Our rifles and shotguns stay in our squads also, we have them locked in a rack but if you know what to do they can Defeated pretty easy. It would take a little longer than just breaking a window and grabbing the rifle though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Those guns should have R.F.I.D. tags on them.
    Thieves aren't going to stop to look for them at the scene of the theft so authorities would at least have a chance to track.
    Put inside the handguards or butt stock, or even in the back of the buffer tube, thieves may not find them at all, until it's too late

74 or more

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2021
    Parke co.
    A few years ago the woman walking with her father in San Francisco was shot and killed.The pistol was stolen out of a BLM (Bureau of Land Management) vehicle.
    This is unacceptable , to have LEO loose a firearm out of a vehicle! Never leave any thing in your vehicle that you don’t want to loose !

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Those guns should have R.F.I.D. tags on them.
    Thieves aren't going to stop to look for them at the scene of the theft so authorities would at least have a chance to track.
    Put inside the handguards or butt stock, or even in the back of the buffer tube, thieves may not find them at all, until it's too late

I'm not sure if you're thinking you can track RFID like an apple airtag or something, but range is extremely minimal. Like a couple of meters at best.

Anywho,

Car racks are like gun safes, only less so. They are a speed bump and one that can be defeated by someone who is dedicated or knowledgeable enough. I don't carry a long gun any longer because I don't have a good way to secure it and I think in my current position I'm more likely to have it stolen then I am to use it on duty.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not sure if you're thinking you can track RFID like an apple airtag or something, but range is extremely minimal. Like a couple of meters at best.

Anywho,

Car racks are like gun safes, only less so. They are a speed bump and one that can be defeated by someone who is dedicated or knowledgeable enough. I don't carry a long gun any longer because I don't have a good way to secure it and I think in my current position I'm more likely to have it stolen then I am to use it on duty.
    I'm a little surprised to hear that it's your choice.

Top Bottom