• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IRISH1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    South Bend
    I am looking to purchase my first AR and have been looking around. What is the difference between a base m4 and a scout M4? I have been mainly looking at Core 15. Please help with any suggestions and other tips on what to look for in a first rifle would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Can not really see much difference in the two per their website.

Edit: Did some more searching and it seems that Core is the only company that even markets any such thing as a "scout" m4.This link,assuming it works,had a direct reply from one of their people.Apparently the only difference is that the base had a chrome-lined barrel and the scout doesn't.

M4 vs M4 Scout - AR15.COM

Last edited:

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Another difference is the bolt. The scout's description does not mention the spec.

May I ask why you are looking at the Core 15 over any other brands?

IRISH1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    South Bend
    I have also looked at bushmaster and dpms..... Have heard good things about all but I like what I read more about core and their customer service my final decision has been between core and bushmaster.... I would love a colt but don't have the funds and the core scout is on sale for 599 and a base m4 flat top with a lpgb..... Included with a BSA red dot sight and 2 pmags is 699 at Midwest gun in Mishawaka until 12/29 and I was hoping to pick one up...... I have also contemplated the bushmaster deals which include 4 mags and a field cleaning kit but sell for about 300-400 more

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Look around for used. Also, I have learned, buy once, cry once! Save up until you can get the rifle you want. A Colt is going to keep a resale value whereas who knows with a Core brand, non-chromed barrel.

2is

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    US
    Hey guys, I know this is kind of an older thread, but I found this site/post while doing research on Core 15 M4 Scout and thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I recently purchased one of these rifles and so far I have been quite impressed with it. I only have 2 range trips with 160 shots fired down range between the two, but my preliminary observations have been quite good. Zero malfunctions so far and I've put various different loads through it. PMC X-TAC 62 Grain Green Tip, Hot Shots Elite 62 Grain steel core penetrators, WOLF Gold 55 Grain. The first two being 5.56 and the Wolf Gold being .223 Keep in mind the Wolf gold is brass cased, not steel cased like most Wolf cartridges.

Accuracy is also very good. I was shooting about 2" groups at 100 yards using the cheapest brass I could find which was the Wolf Gold and Hot Shots Elite. 2" may not sounds great, but that's me, not the gun. To put it in perspective, I don't shoot any more accurately with my Bushmaster ACR (I need glasses)

As far as the "buy a colt" argument, I can certainly understand it since they are looked at as the "standard" but "standard" is just that. It doesn't mean best. If I'm looking for a higher end AR, I'd get a Daniel Defense over a Colt without thinking twice about it.

Top Bottom