• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Ive got a Bushmaster carbine, its pretty old but hasnt been shot hardly at all. Its pretty stock, except for a collapsible stock. I have to say going in, I know nothing about ARs. I got it out last weekend to shoot it, and found that it shoots, ejects and chambers the next round, but its like the trigger hasnt reset. If I manually chamber another round or take the safety on and back off, then it will fire. Any ideas for something I can do or a good place to get it looked at? thanks

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Hmm, try removing the hand grip. There is a spring in there that effects the trigger/safety. Perhaps the last person to change the grip simply didn't put the spring back correctly.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    The hammer is getting hung up on the disconnector notch, but not getting released, and therefore, not re-setting.

There is something under the rear of the trigger. In another occurrance of these symptoms, a poorly adjusted JP trigger kit, where the owner hadn't used loctite, was to blame. Short of that, you have a primer, or other debris underneath the rear of the trigger.

When you manually chamber a round, you aren't holding the trigger back, so the disconnector notch doesn't need to catch & release the hammer.

When you put the rifle on safe, the rear of the trigger compresses the obstruction enough to allow the hammer to disengage from the disconnector, and re-set.

ETA: To reach that area, remove the grip, safety, hammer & pin, and trigger, disconnector & the associated pin. An "L"-shaped paper clip might be able to dislodge the obstruction, and save you from disassembling the fire control group. Compressed air, or CLP might even work, if it happens to be something soluble.

ETAII: To help you with taking it apart and putting it back together, here is a tutorial: Build your own lower

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yes, you most likely have something hanging up your trigger. If you pop the upper off, you may be able to access it from the top without any disassembly, just that bent paper clip thing. Or, it may be fouled enough the spring isn't returning it, or the trigger spring has broken (both highly unlikely). Just push out the rear pin and hinge it open. Things are pretty accessible. If it's not something obvious, you'll want to get it in front of someone that knows how it works.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Im going to take it apart and check it out. I dont think Im getting into the trigger group though. Who in the Indy area works on ARs, I want to get a new hand guard for it so I can put a light on it, a new sling and maybe a new pistol grip. where should I go?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This can also be caused by an improperly positioned trigger spring causing the trigger to not have enough forward pressure to pull itself off the disconnector. I am in the indy area and work on ARs.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I broke the rifle down, removed the pistol grip, and sprayed some gun scrubber follwed by compressed air through the lower, put it back together and it works. This thing is a lot of fun, I have had it a while but only shot it a few times, and the guy I got it from claims he never fired it. Thank you for all the tips, and Indygunworks, if I ever need it worked on I will get with you for sure. where is the best place to get a new handguard with rails, and maybe an optic?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I order most of my stuff from brownells, but they can be high on price sometimes. For me its the convenience because i always NEED something from them, so i save on shipping.

I dont know what you are looking for or what you want to spend, but brownells is just as good of a place as any to browse.

www.brownells.com

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Here's a list of accessory manufacturers, along with feedback from their customers.

Parts Suppliers

If you just want to mount a light, the least expensive solid method is an ElZetta, that mounts on the front sight base.

I recently found that Bradis is carrying Magpul handguards, which have mountable rail sections.

Either of these options will put much less weight on your rifle, and remove much less weight from your wallet, than a fully railed front end.

For an inexpensive optic for something less than LE or military duty, my standard answer is to order from Primary Arms.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    You guys are awesome. My rifle has a carry handle, how do I mount an optic on that? I think Im going to get the Elzetta light mount and maybe a Streamlight.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Whats a good bright LED light to use with the Elzetta mount? I want one with a remote switch?

What's your budget? Primary Arms can keep you under $100, Surefire can break the bank. You may be able to find a tail switch for a Surefire E2L, and bring the whole package in under $150, or find a used Surefire 951, and swap the illuminator.

Top Bottom