• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok guys, got a question... Have a choice between a stripped Stag or Armalite lower... (happy early birthday to me!)

Who's better?

At the moment I have a Spikes and a Doublestar, appearance-wise, the Spike wins, hands down, the cosmetics are much better. The Doublestar didn't get the "parting/casting lines" inside the triggerguard ground down smooth at all, and small machining marks inside the takedown ears on the front of the magwell... The coating looks fantastic though...

Probably picking a lower up tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have time to get some good feedback here...

And undecided on what role the gun will play, just gonna get the lower and figure out the rest later, lol...

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Thinks maybe the Armalite will hold value better than a stag if ever it is sold or traded.I got one of the Armalite lowers and couldn't bring myself to put any other upper on but Armalite so I just made it a complete EW 15.....very sweet I might add!!

Their value is the same. From what I've read the Armalite of today has nothing to do with the old Armalite.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Flip a coin or decide based on the logo or price; they will be functionally identical.

Well the price is the same for either, I've heard good things about both, I didn't know if one of them was cosmetically "nicer" than the other or not...

I know internal dimensions should be identical, but external finish is what
    I was worried about, I'll probably just have them grab me one of each and compare machining and finish side by side....

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    external finish? one day at the range will fix that....

i'd look at what barrel steel is used, are the bolts MPI, etc and make my decision. cosmetic details dont mean squat. ymmv.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, for the last two...

I'm talking stripped lowers here, so gas piston and barrel steel aren't even factors.

As for cosmetics, here is what concerns me:
    picture.php

That's the inside front of the triggerguard on my Doublestar lower, the inside back is similar.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ok, for the last two...

I'm talking stripped lowers here, so gas piston and barrel steel aren't even factors.

As for cosmetics, here is what concerns me:
    picture.php

That's the inside front of the triggerguard on my Doublestar lower, the inside back is similar.

I can tell you that my Stag doesn't have any of those "incompletely machined" places.

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    I have 2 Stag lowers. One of them had some imperfections. Either I am not picky, or Stag is really picky, but I had to have these pointed out to me. The imperfections, to me, looks like hair or runs in the finial finish on the front of the mag well and not machining flaws. From what I have seen Stag customer serivce is top notch.

Top Bottom