• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    I'm brand new to building AR-15's. So I have no clue what to look for. Wanting to build one from the ground up. Like to not break the bank doing so. Being fairly accurate is a big thing for me too. Reliable is an absolute must though. This thing has to go bang when the trigger is pulled. What all opinions do you have?

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    If you buy a complete upper, give bcm a look. They are still offering free bcg's ($170)with upper purchase.
    I agree. BCM is a good choice. You have to decide what your primary use of the rifle is first before you buy the upper. The lowers are pretty much all the same though.

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Just general use. No really long range. Prolly nothing more than 100-150 yards if that. Coyote hunting maybe. Target shooting/home defense is probably going to be main use

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Any standard 16" setup will work fine for what you ask, in fact it's ideal for the weight and balance.
    i would prefer a 16" barrel (1/7 or 1/8 twist ), w/ midlength gas system
    I'd say to buy a complete upper, and either buy or build the lower.
    you're probably looking at 600-800 in order to stay with reputable Manufacturers

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Also, ,get a low power optic (or red dot or irons).
    Don't ruin the thing by putting a huge honkin scope on it.
    by low power i mean 1-4, 2-7, etc. (Maybe 3-9 at most, since thats a common option from most optics companies)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Any standard 16" setup will work fine for what you ask, in fact it's ideal for the weight and balance.
    i would prefer a 16" barrel (1/7 or 1/8 twist ), w/ midlength gas system...

^This is your answer.
    Pretty much any off the shelf 16" AR barrel should be good for 300-400 yards with an AVERAGE shooter.
    You may not get sub M.O.A. at that price range, but it will be more than just sufficient to whack a coyote out to 400 yards with only iron sights.
    Practice can add 200+ yards to that.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    i would prefer a 16" barrel (1/7 or 1/8 twist ), w/ midlength gas system
    I'd say to buy a complete upper, and either buy or build the lower.
    you're probably looking at 600-800 in order to stay with reputable Manufacturers
    I agree with all this. You said you didn't have a clue what to look for. I'd buy the complete upper and complete lower and run the gun and get used to the platform. Then build one from the ground up. They're not hard to work on but it helps a lot to know how they function and all the ins and outs. Plus you'll need the proper tools and vise blocks

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I forgot to mention who i think are "reputable " manufacturers. ..
    bcm,
    colt,
    s&w
    lmt
    windham
    stag
    bushmaster
    (There are tons of great manufacturers. .. and lots of quality ones but they can be pricey)

Check out stags website for sales on uppers, as well as kygunco, grabagun, impactguns, buds, (even the loathed cheaperthandirt)

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    Yeah, that BCM deal is about to expire. Probably a good deal to jump on. I grabbed one of the 16" SOCOM with the free muzzle device and BCG. Solid unit.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Yeah, that BCM deal is about to expire. Probably a good deal to jump on. I grabbed one of the 16" SOCOM with the free muzzle device and BCG. Solid unit.

I was wanting to get that same deal but it was out of stock. I signed up to be notified when it was re-stocked, I've heard nothing as of yet but crossing my fingers it happens before the free BCG offer expires.

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    good solid advice so far ... personally i cannot recommend palmetto state armory ... ive only placed 1 order thru them & they dropped the ball so badly on that , i dont even look at their website anymore... good prices , good luck getting it delivered to your door tho ... & customer service did not give a rat's furry behind about having lost a customer ...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    good solid advice so far ... personally i cannot recommend palmetto state armory ... ive only placed 1 order thru them & they dropped the ball so badly on that , i dont even look at their website anymore... good prices , good luck getting it delivered to your door tho ... & customer service did not give a rat's furry behind about having lost a customer ...

Evidently I've been lucky.
    I've only placed a couple of orders with them, but I got what I ordered in a timely fashion. It was not lightning quick, but not outrageously slow either.
    I will agree that getting hold of customer service can be a major challenge, but I've not needed to avail myself of those services.
    They have decent products at great prices most of the time, but they do advertise a lot of things that seem to magically become "out-of-stock" when you try to check out.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I will be a total jerk for a minute...

You can buy a complete mil-spec Colt with MOE gear for $860, that is a true turn key quality rifle for a great price, makes it hard to throw cheap parts at a rifle all so you can say you built it.

Sorry op I know you want to build one.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Don't forget the cost of tools. You may be able to borrow, or may already have them. If not, its something to take into consideration.

Top Bottom