• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My buddy just replaced his smith and Wesson with a spikes tactical bolt. The bolt is lighter than the stock, but wouldn't you want a heavier bolt to absorb the recoil? I get that the buffer does some but I would think a heavier bolt though it moves slower would help keep the muzzle down.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Score one for Spikes and their marketing team. I can't see how your friend hurt anything except his bank account balance. The bolt doesn't absorb any recoil. Or are you talking about the bolt carrier group? The weight of the BCG does not have any to do with muzzle climb in any realistic way.

It really doesn't matter all that much considering how way over gassed the AR rifle is. As it needs to be for the first few milli-seconds before the bolt unlocks and the gas tube is totally unported and dumps all the excess gas into the upper receiver and gas pressure goes to zero.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think about a lot of AR aftermarket parts like polished Aluminum finned valve covers on an custom car. Bling that does not get you one ft lb on the dyno, or a tenth of a second on the track, they just look cool.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    You're probably talking about a lightened bolt carrier. A lightened bolt carrier along with a properly tuned gas system and a comp will dramatically change the recoil impulse of an AR. Less reciprocating mass coming to an abrupt stop at each end of the bolt carrier travel is a good thing but as I said before it must be set up properly in order to work properly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom