• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • urustyone

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hello, I am trying to put a quad rail on a brond new Rock River upper. Has anyone had any experiance with the barrel nut not coming loose? I bought a tool and it just does not want to budge. I heat safe? Thanks for any help!!

Rusty

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Are you using a vise and upper receiver block to hold in the vise? Mine was hard to come off without stabilizing it in a vise.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Having a vise, upper receiver blocks, and a quality armorers/barrel wrench (many of them are garbage) is critical. It should come off with just pressure; no reputable AR builder should be using a locking compound on the barrel nut threads...

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    The barrel nut is torqued to at least 30 ft lbs at the factory but may be as much as 80 ft lbs if additional alignment was needed to get the gas tube installed properly. You may want to try some additional leverage on your barrel nut wrench. I would not apply heat.

urustyone

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I do not have receiver blocks. However, stabilized the upper in a vice with pine blocks and a towel. The tool I puchased is from NcStar and I am not very happy with the way it fits the nut. I am trying to find someone close with blocks. Thanks Everyone!!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Sorry, not local, but I recommend this one if you can't find anyone who can share. It doesn't mar the finish as some of the clam shell style ones can do sometimes.

Upper receiver "claw" type vice block:
    DPMS Panther Claw for AR15

You may also find you get a better purchase on the nut if you can find a barrel wrench with the scallops all the way around to engage the nut on multiple corners (instead of the mil type with the 2 pins).

Wrench example that engages the nut all the way around:
    Armorer AR15 Wrench

Hopefully, the mfg of your AR put the appropriate moly grease on the threads when your rifle was assembled or you could have a VERY difficult time getting that nut off (depending on how old it is).

The proper grease for the barrel nut. Don't go cheap on the grease or you may be sorry. Don't use a grease containing graphite as it can react w/aluminum in the presence of moisture.:
    AeroShell Grease 33MS (14 Oz. Cartridge(, Extreme Pressure (EP) Grease, MIL-G-21164D* The largest selection of Aircraft parts and Pilot Supplies.- SkyGeek.com

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    go to the accessories page, and ask if anybody close to fort wayne has a barrel wrench and a vise block for you.

If you can't find someone, I could ask VUPDblue and see if he'll loan out the tools, and we could meet up a little bit south from there (i live close to marion/noblesville)

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    RRA uses red Loctite on their barrel nuts. A friend had to apply heat recently to his upper barrel nut to remove it. Their was enough Loctite that a quality barrel wrench became useless and the nut was still in place. A torch was required to provide adequate heat.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    I own a RRA and it did not have loctite on the barrel threads.

This has been witnessed on two current rifles with various amounts applied. RRA is spotty in their builds and each rifle that comes off the line is assembled differently by each builder. When you handle multiple RRA rifles you find loctite on some parts, red or blue and find no loctite on another rifle.

urustyone

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good news! I got some great help tonight from some outsiders. It appears all you need is the the correct tools. After putting the upper in some vise blocks the barrel nut broke loose and there was no loctite on the threads. Thank you everone for all the responses!!

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    RRA uses red Loctite on their barrel nuts. A friend had to apply heat recently to his upper barrel nut to remove it. Their was enough Loctite that a quality barrel wrench became useless and the nut was still in place. A torch was required to provide adequate heat.

I've been through the Rock River Armorer's course and they told us to never use loctite on the barrel nut.

Top Bottom